Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grade Roy Jones' resume

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry but Nunn post Liles and Little losses was a shell of himself and really far less of a challenge than guys like Merqui Sosa and Eric Lucas.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      I am sorry but Nunn post Liles and Little losses was a shell of himself and really far less of a challenge than guys like Merqui Sosa and Eric Lucas
      jones vs. nunn would have been a horrible fight...honestly if jones did legitly duck him, in hindsight who cares...james toney trumped all of those dudes back then...

Comment

• A resume .............the fact that he obliterated the good competition and made them look like stiffs says it all,nobody wanted to fight Roy in his prime the man was an animal,i do believe he tryed to test himself by moving up way to late i would have rather seen that Hw run when the hws were still decent.

Comment

• Originally posted by djtmal View Post
          the more i read this, the more i can tell the white suits people hated roy jones because he had a brain...lol
          Roy was one of the best managers in the history of boxing. He drove HBO nuts...then they gave him a raise. Can't hate the player on that.

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          He offered the date to both Nunn and Rochigianni, and both of them turned it down. Nunn didn't fight again for like two years.
          Not in 1997. The reporting at the time then was all that he refused to fight Nunn. One report I found had it over network issues: http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...E05&p_docnum=1

Roy Jones vacates title over contract

PENSACOLA, Fla. - Roy Jones Jr. says keeping his WBC light heavyweight title is not worth breaking a television contract and vacated the 175-pound title Wednesday rather than agree to fight No. 1 contender Michael Nunn for $1.8 million. He has one fight remaining on a three-year contract with Home Box Office and its pay-per-view network, TVKO. However, Nunn's promoter, America Presents, won the purse bid for the proposed title fight and wanted to stage it Jan. 17 on a competing pay-per-view system, Request TV.

One of these days, I'll dig up the why should I have had to fight a Michael Nunn who shows up interview he did later on. Interesting and one of those things I read that always stuck with me on how smart he was management wise. It's just one of those oddball things. As to Rocky, given what Roy probably offered, it was surely more profitable to stay in Germany and sue the WBC. Roy wasn't going to travel for it. Given that Rocky got a healthy settlement, that's proven true.

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
          jones vs. nunn would have been a horrible fight...honestly if jones did legitly duck him, in hindsight who cares...james toney trumped all of those dudes back then...
          Pretty much. That's kind of my point...it's hard to conclude he didn't, but of all the guys to duck (if that's the right word...manuevered around might be as fair; just didn't care to fight might be another) it ends up an oddity that history couldn't care less about.
          Last edited by crold1; 01-05-2012, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X