Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Vs Mike Tyson at HW...how would it have went?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MGMGRAND View Post
    Watching Roy Jones Vs Antonio Tarver 1. Roy Jones called out Mike Tyson at the end of the fight, stating that he wanted him for one big pay day.

Roy Jones 2003 Version vs Mike Tyson 2003 Version....HW

Who would have won?
    This is a tricky one. For me, it depends on exactly when they'd have fought.

I think Roy could have beaten Mike in 2003, pre Tarver.

Mike had no interest in boxing at that point, and was fighting purely to pay off his debts. He was shot. Of course he still had great power, and if he'd have caught Roy, it'd have been over. But I think Roy could have stayed out of trouble.

The problem was, they had talks mid to late 2003, but Mike was in no position to fight at that point. So any potential fight would have been in 2004. But Roy had put his body through an awful lot at that point. He'd already gone up to HW and then dropped back for Tarver. So if Roy had fought Mike after Tarver in 2004, he'd have had to have gained more mass and gone back up to just under 200 pounds like he'd been against Ruiz. So I don't think that would have been a good idea, and there's no telling what would have happened. But from what I've read over the years, if they both hadn't suffered losses to Tarver and Williams, the fight would have had a good chance of happening. So if they'd have fought in 2004, I'd probably have favoured Mike. Roy lost something after he'd dropped back from HW. But if they'd have fought in 2003, say before that Roy came back down for Tarver, or instead of Tarver, I'd have picked Roy.

Comment

Very quickly in Tyson's favor

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
        Very quickly in Tyson's favor
        In his prime, no question.

In 2003, I think Roy could have beaten him.

Comment

If we go with imaginary scenario, where Roy would not drop weight after Ruiz, he'd still has reflexes, speed and stamina. I think this version of Roy could avoid being trapped on the ropes and potshot Mike to UD. Especially given that Mike was very far removed from his prime at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by MGMGRAND View Post
            Watching Roy Jones Vs Antonio Tarver 1. Roy Jones called out Mike Tyson at the end of the fight, stating that he wanted him for one big pay day.

Roy Jones 2003 Version vs Mike Tyson 2003 Version....HW

Who would have won?
            Even the shot 2003 version of Iron Mike does RJJ dirty, ala Glenn Johnson. Does him just ugly.

Comment

Since this is 2003 we are talking about and a year later Tyson lost twice to much lesser opposition in Danny Williams and Kevin McBride. Then again not far after, Jones lost to Tarver and Johnson by KO. In my view it's up in the air. Tyson was no longer training and as many believe the drop of 30lbs very well could have been the defining disaster for Jones. If Jones would have stayed at 200-200+ who is to say his chin would have continued to hold up.

Personally i see it if Jones can get out of the 4th, Jones by Decision. If Jones allows to let Tyson push him around the first 4, Tyson by early KO.

Comment

Roy slides and dances around Tyson with pot shots until Tyson catches him. I can't even get through fight night with out catching flash knockdowns lol there's no chance he can avoid mike for 12 rounds. Especially if he gets bold like he did with Ruiz.

Comment

Roy dies......

Comment

That Tyson would have annihilated Roy, not his weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
                      That Tyson would have annihilated Roy, not his weight class.
                      I'd have given Mike a 5 round window.

He had zero interest in boxing at that time. He wasn't in shape either mentally or physically.

Comment

Working...
                      X