E

Comment

• The Mist [2007] :
          City Lights [1931] :
          The Man with the Iron Fists [2012] :

E

Comment

• the machinist

man, christian bale was damn emaciated in this film... i dunno if it was legit or CGI, but bale was really thin in this...

a psychological thriller in the vein of memento... but it is different not only because it's narrative structure is mostly linear and the protagonist instead of reminding himself of the events that put him in his situation, bale's character tries incessantly to suppress it from which he becomes an insomniac...

as with other indies, the film isn't really a technical marvel... but what it lacks in technicalities, it makes up for it's cinematic prowess... the screenplay is superb... the filmmaker succeeds in getting and sustaining attention through a weird oddyssey within trevor reznik's guilt ridden and fantasy creating psyche...

Last edited by talip bin osman; 12-03-2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Sinister - A true-crime writer finds a cache of 8mm "snuff" films that suggest the murder he is currently researching is the work of a serial killer whose career dates back to the 1960s.

8.0\10 ... Very good movie

Comment

• the samurai trilogy

its quite impractical to "rate" these troika of films one by one... besides, each film in this trilogy won't stand on it's own as it seemed to be built from the ground up as one giant film chronicling the tale of real life sword master miyamoto musashi...

well, the experience feels like watching an anime classic... which really isn't a bad thing since most of em like ruroni kenshin, afro samurai and ninja scroll are rip offs one way or another from this trilogy anyway...

its quite rare for a film to combine both character and plot driven narrative in one cohesive whole and rarer still to do it beautifully like what hiroshi inagaki did in this epic... i guess with a combined running time of over 6 hours and playing a part on the screenplay must have helped...

the climactic duel the protagonist had against a fierce rival during sunset on a beach was a thing of beauty... as with miyamoto's slow personal, professional and mental metamorphosis from a naive soldier to a wise samurai...

Last edited by talip bin osman; 12-07-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• Killing Them Softly: -7/10

Piece of **** movie

Comment

• killing them hardly 7.5 out of 10

Comment

• Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
                      the samurai trilogy

its quite impractical to "rate" these troika of films one by one... besides, each film in this trilogy won't stand on it's own as it seemed to be built from the ground up as one giant film chronicling the tale of real life sword master miyamoto musashi...

well, the experience feels like watching an anime classic... which really isn't a bad thing since most of em like ruroni kenshin, afro samurai and ninja scroll are rip offs one way or another from this trilogy anyway...

its quite rare for a film to combine both character and plot driven narrative in one cohesive whole and rarer still to do it beautifully like what hiroshi inagaki did in this epic... i guess with a combined running time of over 6 hours and playing a part on the screenplay must have helped...

the climactic duel the protagonist had against a fierce rival during sunset on a beach was a thing of beauty... as with miyamoto's slow personal, professional and mental metamorphosis from a naive soldier to a wise samurai...

i think i better check this one out, i have this trilogy in my collection for years now but haven't got the time to watch it

maybe because i tend to compare it to Kurosawa's and may end up disappointed

Comment

Working...
                      X