check hook, check hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check hook, check hook

Hello,

in this video, right from the start, when Floyd is shadow-boxing, his coach is shouting: 'check hook, check hook, show how you check those punches"
    Could anyone break down this for me?

Generally, I have noticed fighters practice hooks, uppercuts in a special way when shadow-boxing (examples are Broner, Jones, Ward), special because it looks somewhat different from when they are hitting mitts and such. Could anyone explain me that?

Thanks!

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
    Hello,

in this video, right from the start, when Floyd is shadow-boxing, his coach is shouting: 'check hook, check hook, show how you check those punches"
    Could anyone break down this for me?

Generally, I have noticed fighters practice hooks, uppercuts in a special way when shadow-boxing (examples are Broner, Jones, Ward), special because it looks somewhat different from when they are hitting mitts and such. Could anyone explain me that?

Thanks!
    Haha, that wasn't Roger, though. That was a random fan requesting the check hook... and Mayweather never threw a check hook during that shadowboxing sequence.

But to answer your question, a check hook is used to lure in your opponent while stepping or pulling back while simultaneously throwing the hook (check), and pivoting out; difficult maneuver to get away with.

Comment

Sorry not made enough posts to do proper links yet. Look up "Mayweather check hook" on youtube. It's a vid that's about 23 seconds long.

Comment

Originally posted by Locche View Post
        Sorry not made enough posts to do proper links yet. Look up "Mayweather check hook" on youtube. It's a vid that's about 23 seconds long.
        thanks for that!

Comment

Working...
        X