Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Strength & Coditioning Coaches become essential?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ferrarijones View Post
    The old ways worked and they shouldn't cast them aside due to "modern science". If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    I disagree with that. Science progresses and we learn more about the human body everyday so it's absurd to keep the same conditioning methods that have been around for 60-70 years.

Originally posted by Simply Zyzz View Post
    this... seriously, its called picking up a book.... the key to everything they do is called circuit training.......

but if they feel more comfortable paying someone to just tell them what to do than go for it.....
    Exactly. Conditioning coaches have a lot of knowledge but fighters and trainers could learn a lot by themselves by reading the latest books on conditioning and creating their own programs.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
      They train them nothing like a football player. Football players train max effort days and dynamic days. Max effort for strength, dynamic for speed and explosiveness.

Boxers are trained differently by every different strength coach. Every coach has his own way of training a specific fighter based on their body. Pacquiao ran through the likes of Cotto and built his star power during his run with Ariza, he was regarded by all as a beast.

Trainers know exactly how the body works, how best to train it for each specific sport and how to maximise it's efficiency.
      Most of these Strength Coaches have zero experience in boxing, in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
        Most of these Strength Coaches have zero experience in boxing, in general.
        They don't need experience of the sport, they need knowledge of how the body works and they can get it ready for any sport. They have that knowledge. What is required for boxing is not hard to determine and they have more than enough knowledge to train the body to perform at it's best in that field.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrarijones View Post
          Probably when boxers startd getting lazy and refusing to do roadwork. Also, probably because many of the new trainers may not know how to get a boxer physically ready for a fight like the old vets who've passed away. So they easily bought into all the strength and conditioning mess.

I'm not sold on them myself. I've seen fighters end up MORE winded in the later rounds because of these so called experts. Donaire gets hooked up to breathing machines like a lab rat and still is winded at the end of his fights. I beieve they're just taking advantage of boxers making them believe they need something they really don't. Placebo effect.

The old ways worked and they shouldn't cast them aside due to "modern science". If it ain't broke don't fix it.
          Long-distance running/Cross Country or what you refer to as "roadwork" is archaic in the modern world of sports science. Boxing is a sport composed of multiple short bursts that require anareobic capacity NOT aerobic capacity. SLOW long-distance running doesn't mimic the physical requirements in a fight. It's also worth mentioning that it's highly catabolic...

Comment

Its all about the supplementing. They know about dieting and when to administer certain "vitamins".

Any coach can train a fighter. but the diet and vitamins is the real reason for all the Victor Contes and the Arrizas

Comment

I don't think they are essential. I don't think Mayweather has one. Does Martinez or Pavlik have one? Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, and Duran never used one to my knowledge.

Comment

They motivate.

Comment

Working...
                X