Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 'Coloured' World Champion: Equal to the actual World Champion or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Coloured' World Champion: Equal to the actual World Champion or not?

So i've become interested in learning about the early era boxing champions (early 1900's mainly, because theres more footage to watch), and I was wondering if anyone holds the 'Coloured' World Championship in the same regard as the 'actual' World Champion?

The CWC's (coloured world champ) generally have some pretty insane resume's, fighting other black former and future CWC's multiple times, and it seems unfair to me that they are not held up as highly in boxing history as the 'actual' world champions of the time.

I'm new to this boxing history so go easy if ive misrepresented things, or got **** wrong...

Perhaps in this thread while it lasts, as "good a fighter" might be better than the term "equal".

Comment

It depends on the era. The "coloured" champs weren't always on the same level as the "World" champions but sometimes they were, and sometimes they were clearly better. Like you said more often than not the "coloured" belt was very competitive as the best black fighters usually had to fight the very best black opponents in order to make decent money

Just look at the coloured heavyweight world champions between 1903 and 1926. Jack Johnson, Sam McVey (2 time champ), Joe Jeanette, Sam Langford (x5), Harry Wills (x3) and Bill Tate. That generation of black fighters seem as good as most generation of heavyweight fighters and it's such a shame that only 1 of them was allowed to fight for the official world title.

Comment

Working...
      X