Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder what Bernard Hopkins is Thinking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder what Bernard Hopkins is Thinking?

With Joe Calzaghe's retirement, Bernard Hopkins slides into the top slot. So...who's 44 year old man going to fight? Will he retire? I really don't know if he can do the latter. I've heard it so many times I stopped believing - and why should I? He looked splendid the last time I saw him. But there really aren't any big fights out there for him, not around that weight class nor fighters that inspire. Except two.

If Chad Dawson gets past Antonio Tarver he and Bernard could square off. Hopkins, the master of southpaws, has also shown weakness dealing with speed and, in his old age, activity as well. Dawson possesses both and is just hitting his prime.

The old man would love nothing more than to go out on a high note and establish himself among the very best ever but Dawson outskilled Antonio Tarver and matched wills with Glen Johnson. If he does something spectacular - like stopping Tarver the second time - maybe his drawing power increases a little and Bernard takes the bait.

But there's another fight on the horizon that I think is just as likely. And that's a third bout between Hopkins and Jermain Taylor. I can't help but think Taylor, while retaining much of his athletic ability, is not quite the same physically but has improved immensely in skills. And looks very comfortable at 168. This may be his window. If Jermain Taylor wins impressively against Carl Froch he could set himself up for an intriguing showdown against a long-time nemesis. If your Bernard do you wait for that? Fight Dawson? Or hang 'em up as well?
    Chad Dawson
    36.36%
    Jermain Taylor
    27.27%
    Retire
    36.36%

roy jones jr

Comment

I'd love to see Hopkins Jermain 3..... 170?

Comment

Tomasz Adamek for CW ring title.

That would mean ring title at 160 175 and 200

Comment

Originally posted by Emanuel Steward View Post
          I'd love to see Hopkins Jermain 3..... 170?
          Yup. I think Taylor handles it a little better than Wright and Pavlik. But his punch resistance remains a question mark against these heavier hitters.

Comment

Wasn't Hopkins in talks to fight Cunningham before he lost to Adamek? I think Hopkins could either take him or go after Dawson and go out on a high

Comment

He'll retire. I haven't heard of his eagerness to fight anyone other than Calzaghe.

Comment

He mentioned Jermain Taylor as a possible opponent for him (actually the only possible opponent besides Calzaghe who is now retired) when he worked as an analyst on Friday Night Fights.

Hopkins also said that he does not want to fight and ruin Dawson because Chad is supposed to be boxing's future star.

Comment

He should retire. His legacy is now perfect. ATG, goes out on top with a win over an unbeaten new star etc.
                  I hope he doesn't risk throwing that away.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                    He mentioned Jermain Taylor as a possible opponent for him (actually the only possible opponent besides Calzaghe who is now retired) when he worked as an analyst on Friday Night Fights.

Hopkins also said that he does not want to fight and ruin Dawson because Chad is supposed to be boxing's future star.
                    thats a big diss lol

Comment

Working...
                    X