Collapse
No announcement yet.

On This Day: De La Hoya emerges triumphant in battle with Quartey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good fight. I had Ike winning but wouldn't call it a robbery. Many people did though, including the great Eddie Futch.

One thing to be noted about that fight was that Quartey was really hurt by the time off and it showed. Might've overtrained too. Just wasn't the same Ike that night and he pretty much pulled it off in the eyes of many, leading me to believe a prime version would've won decisively.

Comment

All time great fight. Oscar won this fight. Took the early rounds, Ike won the middle rounds, Oscar swept the championship rounds late as Ike faded. Ike got dropped twice and needed the ropes to hold him up from getting knocked out in the 12th. No robbery. Ike lucky the ropes and Oscar punched himself out. He's the only fighter in history that Oscar dropped and had hurt and survived the fight on his feet.

Comment

I've always thought Quartey won close but clearly.

Comment

I had it 115-112 Oscar. Thought he dug it out. Quality high level fight though. Not sure when we'll see one like it at welterweight again.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
            One of my favorite fights of all time. The ebb and flow was beautiful.
            Agreed. A great fight.

Comment

Always thought Ike won the fight. I remember Oscar being all moody in the interview after the fight, he wanted no part in a rematch.

Comment

Was just talking about this in another thread early last week about how Popularity gets guys decisions in close fights.

Great fight and it was close. I had it for Quarty but Oscar winning was more valuable to boxing at the time.

Comment

Working...
                X