Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's look at Joe Calzaghe's supposed "greatness"!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calzaghe will probably go to the Hall of Fame but anyone touting him as some top 100 fighter or something probably isn't very bright.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      Calzaghe will probably go to the Hall of Fame but anyone touting him as some top 100 fighter or something probably isn't very bright.
      Of course that would make someone touting Calslapzhe as the all-time p4p GOAT REALLY someone "special" :chuckle9:

Poet

Comment

BTW good job Nate!

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          AT SMW (a division laregly void of names, and almost completely void of career fighters at the weight,)
          yes, he's one of the best to ever lace them up at SMW

for calzaghe i place a good deal of emphasis on the tape i've seen of the performances he has givenl, as opposed to placing the most weight on the names on his ledger. he was a hell of a fighter who knew how to win with the tools god gave him.

he SMASHED jeff lacy
          absolutely crushed him. essentially ended his career over 12 rounds. lacy was being billed by showtime as the next tyson, and he was knocking everybody out brutally (stopped vanderpool, robin ried, pemberton, other regular names at the top of the division at the time)
          lacy pissed blood after that fight
          and his face never looked the same

he finally got roy in the ring and smashed him. you cant flag calzaghe for roy being shot, or for roy not taking the fight until he was shot.
          got bernard in the ring and beat him (pretty convincingly in my eyes. close calzaghe decision,)
          and since then bernard has proven he's got plenty in the tank

if joe calzaghe had the opportunity to fight the big names earlier in his career he would have. maybe he'd lose, maybe he'd win
          but he's one of the most confident men i've ever come across in boxing and certainly never "ducked" anybody simply on the merits of their talents or superiority
          so we cant flag him for that
          talk to his promotor and his team for not getting him big fights until late in hi career

joe's not the first MW/SMW to labor overseas without much competition until the end of his career
          they build these guys into domestic draws and hope to get a shot at a big fight in the states
          or they keep up with a good thing and keep them at home and risk little by matching them soft and often

unlike ottke, abraham, even dzinsziruk, etc
          calzaghe could ****ing fight and was a world beater

ottke stayed home because he sucked and needed corrupt refs and judges
          abraham was ballsy enough to leave but got crushed once he hit world level talent

joe stepped up in the states (or against american fighters with great reputations) and won

in a division largely void of great career fighters
          yes, joe calzaghe is among the best to ever fight at the weight.
          and a hall of famer

solid bit of digging though on calzaghe's resume
          will green k that when i get the opportunity
          I want to respond to this later on if I have time. You make some interesting points that are worth discussing

Poet

Comment

Joe Calzaghe has 21 title defenses. Name me a fighter with 20 + defenses who only beat #1 ranked undefeated fighters! Please show me these great champions..

Would you respect Calzaghe more if he faced someone with a 3-3 record like Joe Louis did? Al Mccoy, Tony Musto, Jack Roper? Half the guys Louis defended against were school teachers and army janitors, at least we know Calzaghe defended againts proffessional boxers.

As for BHop, hes naturally bigger than Calzaghe and made a career out of fighting welterweights at middleweight. He is a coward, a bully, and a cheater.

Zagz > Soapy

Comment

I thought everyone knew this already?

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                Of course that would make someone touting Calslapzhe as the all-time p4p GOAT REALLY someone "special" :chuckle9:

Poet

Comment

he SMASHED jeff lacy
                  absolutely crushed him. essentially ended his career over 12 rounds. lacy was being billed by showtime as the next tyson
                  Jeff Lacy was never very good, and just because he was being touted as the "next Tyson" does not mean that he was good or anything like Tyson. It just means that his promoter knew who to put him in the ring with to make him look impressive so they could sell him as the next Tyson because thats an EASY SELL IN BOXING. Everybody loves Tyson, and they're always waiting for the "next Tyson." But it's not gonna happen. Jesus will come back before we get another Mike Tyson.

Jeff Lacy had nothing aside from his "left hook" to the body and it was only effective against bums. He had no movement, no footwork, and no real boxing skills. The same Roy Jones that got crushed by Danny Green, Lebedev, etc is the same Roy Jones that beat Jeff Lacy.

A SHOT Roy Jones. The same Roy Jones who has been dismantled by journeyman also put Calzaghe on his ass and took him to a decision.

Joe Calzaghe is an absolute joke and the fact that he has fans and supporters just shows that ANYBODY can create a fanbase, albeit he has a very small fan base, but some of you guys are very die hard.

Jeez, watch some boxing and find a new hero. If you're nationalistic, be obsessed with Ted Kid Lewis. He's the best from Britain, get over this Calzaghe joker.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    Jeff Lacy was never very good, and just because he was being touted as the "next Tyson" does not mean that he was good or anything like Tyson. It just means that his promoter knew who to put him in the ring with to make him look impressive so they could sell him as the next Tyson because thats an EASY SELL IN BOXING. Everybody loves Tyson, and they're always waiting for the "next Tyson." But it's not gonna happen. Jesus will come back before we get another Mike Tyson.

Jeff Lacy had nothing aside from his "left hook" to the body and it was only effective against bums. He had no movement, no footwork, and no real boxing skills. The same Roy Jones that got crushed by Danny Green, Lebedev, etc is the same Roy Jones that beat Jeff Lacy.

A SHOT Roy Jones. The same Roy Jones who has been dismantled by journeyman also put Calzaghe on his ass and took him to a decision.

Joe Calzaghe is an absolute joke and the fact that he has fans and supporters just shows that ANYBODY can create a fanbase, albeit he has a very small fan base, but some of you guys are very die hard.

Jeez, watch some boxing and find a new hero. If you're nationalistic, be obsessed with Ted Kid Lewis. He's the best from Britain, get over this Calzaghe joker.

didn't you notice that i said lacy was being touted as the next tyson by showtime?

do i look like showtime to you?

and i don't think i said a word about "how great lacy was"
                    i showed a short off the head list of solid fighters that he walloped
                    i'm certainly not going back through an entire long post to address your grievances

new england is in the united states

ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI

that's new england

you need a map
                    oh, and a clue!
                    Last edited by New England; 05-23-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

didn't you notice that i said lacy was being touted as the next tyson by showtime?

do i look like showtime to you?

and i don't think i said a word about "how great lacy was"
                      i showed a short off the head list of solid fighters that he walloped
                      i'm certainly not going back through an entire long post to address your grievances

new england is in the united states

ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI

that's new england

you need a map
                      oh, and a clue!
                      Just lookin at ur sig there, id put money on G man knocking his ass out

Comment

Working...
                      X