Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Broner the weakest multiple division 'champion' ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
    I can't think of a worse fighter to have held titles in multiple weight classes. Can't think of a fighter who acquired the titles in a less impressive fashion either. Two of his titles were vacant, the other two were won against DeMarco and Malignaggi (wasn't even in the top 10 at welterweight).

Hasn't had one notable defence of any title that I can think of, and has lost two of his titles on the scales.

Broner seems like the showcase for all the worst excesses of the sport nowadays - paper titles, cherry-picking, and hype.
    No, the worst or weakest multiple division champ is probably Robert Guerrero...or at least on par with Broner

But that last point is spot on. Broner is the epitome of modern boxing and looking at how TC, Mikey, Thurman and so on are being guided, I'm worried they will go down the same path.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      I can't think of a worse fighter to have held titles in multiple weight classes. Can't think of a fighter who acquired the titles in a less impressive fashion either. Two of his titles were vacant, the other two were won against DeMarco and Malignaggi (wasn't even in the top 10 at welterweight).

Hasn't had one notable defence of any title that I can think of, and has lost two of his titles on the scales.

Broner seems like the showcase for all the worst excesses of the sport nowadays - paper titles, cherry-picking, and hype.
      Jorge Linares lost to Demarco and is a multi division champion

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        Broner beat DeMarco the #1 LW at the time. Santa Cruz has never been the man or beaten the man in any division he's ever been in.
        DeMarco was #1 so Broner was a legit champ at lightweight. But at the same time, the fact that DeMarco was #1 says a lot about the quality of the division at the time.

Comment

Joey Gamache was probably it. He was given a shot at the vacant WBA super featherweight title against an unknown fighter and then fought for the vacant WBA lightweight against another unknown fighter. In his only defense he was knocked out by Tony Lopez.

Comment

Working...
          X