Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calzaghe against 2013's best

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everybody but andre ward would probably be a pretty easy fight, frankly. calzaghe was very very good. the dude was fast, had a good chin, and he was a southpaw. odd fighter.

i don't know if andre ward could beat him. i tend to think that he could, but it wouldn't be an easy fight to score. that's a fight that should go 15 rounds. two terrific fighters who are likely to go the distance in a close and eventful fight.

this is all in his prime, mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
      An article by this title has appeared in Boxing Weekly, with Joe splashed across the cover. The five guys he is pitted against are:
      1. Cleverly
      2. Dawson
      3. Froch
      4. Martinez
      5. Ward

Who do you think he beats/loses to?
      1.Cleverly-Protected fighter that hasn't shown much(prediction: Calzaghe win)
      2.Dawson-Which Dawson shows up? More than likely the non-interested looking fighter with a new trainer.(prediction: Calzaghe win)
      3.Froch-very good fighter but with some flaws. Hes lost some fights, and looked to have issues dealing with fighters in which he won IE: Taylor, Dirrell.(Prediction: Calzaghe win in a fun fight to watch)
      4. Martinez-Insists he is a very small fighter at 160. Wouldn't take the fight, so won't give prediction.
      5.Ward-I'm very impressed with Ward's skills. I can't envision him losing to a fighter around 168. (prediction: Ward wins)
      Last edited by Heavy Hitter; 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The only one Calzaghe could beat is Cleverly and maybe Froch.

Comment

PS: TS you are allowing only one selection in the poll, we can't select multiple names.

Comment

The current 40 year Calzaghe or Calzaghe just leaving his prime 5 years ago?

Cause the Calzaghe from 5 years ago may beat every one on that list, including Andre Ward. I don't even like Calzaghe like that, but he may have beaten them all 5-7 years ago. Ward-Calzaghe would have been great, a split decision type of fight.

'06-'07 Calzaghe was a very good fighter. Just didn't prove it enough aside from fighting Kessler and Hopkins and giving Lacy that beating.

Comment

He'd beat them all.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                everybody but andre ward would probably be a pretty easy fight, frankly. calzaghe was very very good. the dude was fast, had a good chin, and he was a southpaw. odd fighter.

i don't know if andre ward could beat him. i tend to think that he could, but it wouldn't be an easy fight to score. that's a fight that should go 15 rounds. two terrific fighters who are likely to go the distance in a close and eventful fight.

this is all in his prime, mind you.
                I agree with everything that you said. Calzaghe gets underrated because he didn't really prove his skills against enough opponents, but all it really takes is his fights against Kessler and Hopkins[Two A class fighters, Hopkins being an A+, Kessler being A-] to see what Calzaghe is capable of.

2007 Hopkins was just as good, more or less, as the current Andre Ward. 2012 Ward vs 2007 Calzaghe would a close fight with lots of crying from the fanbase of the loser.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  The current 40 year Calzaghe or Calzaghe just leaving his prime 5 years ago?

Cause the Calzaghe from 5 years ago may beat every one on that list, including Andre Ward. I don't even like Calzaghe like that, but he may have beaten them all 5-7 years ago. Ward-Calzaghe would have been great, a split decision type of fight.

'06-'07 Calzaghe was a very good fighter. Just didn't prove it enough aside from fighting Kessler and Hopkins and giving Lacy that beating.
                  I mean a prime Calzaghe. Watching him fight from about 2002-2007 I think that was his prime.

And I'm with you, I'm not even a massive Calzaghe fan and didn't much like him when he was around but I appreciate his class, skill, speed and chin. The man was the best at smw and didn't do half bad at 175.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    I agree with everything that you said. Calzaghe gets underrated because he didn't really prove his skills against enough opponents, but all it really takes is his fights against Kessler and Hopkins[Two A class fighters, Hopkins being an A+, Kessler being A-] to see what Calzaghe is capable of.

2007 Hopkins was just as good, more or less, as the current Andre Ward. 2012 Ward vs 2007 Calzaghe would a close fight with lots of crying from the fanbase of the loser.
                    I agree with your points on the whole Kev. RE: Calzaghe looked to be a great fighter, but unfortunately his resume is very light. If he would have consistently fought better opposition, I feel he would have won many of those fights.

I do disagree that the 2007 Hopkins was as good as current Andre Ward. But I don't want to sidetrack thread.

Comment

he beats them all. including Ward he will get seriously outwork.

Comment

Working...
                      X