Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me that has picked up a noticeable skill difference in Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never noticed any great improvements. Looked about the same as he did fighting Delahoya. I actually think his punches are a bit slower these days.

Comment

Lucien Bute, Zab Judah (though he now resorts only to countering out of it) and James Toney v. Jirov are perfect examples of how the shell can work for opposite-handed opponents.

Bute uses distance, measures/ draws punches with his jab and ducks the right hand. Zab has an over-reliance on catching his opponents stepping into range with it. James Toney was rolling everything, while ducking the occasional left hand, and coming back with counter rights. That Jirov fight was grueling though so I wouldn't recommend too much of Toney's.

I would say Floyd in that gif. was using distance to pick Ortiz off coming in. During the fight, he was picking Ortiz's jab off with his elbow which was possible do to Ortiz not even trying to circle him and, when he did, he circled to Floyd's back so Mayweather was just able to bend over to avoid those sloppy hooks.

I must be the only one that just wants Mayweather and Pacquiao to fight more often, even if they aren't fighting each other. I want to see more of their art than engage in politics that lead to arguments and NOT DISCUSSIONS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohammedini View Post
        This again?
        Floyd book this fight in February when ARum refused to sign for a fight with PAc.
        MArtinez booked the fight with Macklin in december my friend...
        HOw the fuc'k is Floyd ducking a busy man?
        Also wasn't he sentenced in December?
        You have some serious logical laps my friend.
        Like the time you outright called Floyd a ducker for not booking MArtinex for may 5th......?!?!?!

Yeah so much of a MArtinez fan that you didn't even know he had a fight With Macklin on March...

Or MAybe you thought a fighter can go into camp immidiatly to fight the p4p #1 in just 1½ month.....
        VEEEERY logical right?

You think fights can be booked back to back?
        Like this was the only time possible for this fight to happen? No!

Secondly, for May 5th, FLoyd was not going to fight Manny period! Floyd wanted all the PPV money from day one but it only came out now because Manny accepted his previous bluff of "Take the Test and we have a fight".
        So Floyd could have negotiated a fight after Ortiz fight to fight Martinez. Martinez would more than likely have accepted Floyd's money numbers .... but Floyd, I guess, doesn't know Martinez' number or his country is too far.... whatever man!

If it's not Manny then people wanted to see Martinez .... but the more we wait for these fights the more likely we will not be seeing one or two or all three of them in their prime anymore! That is sad!.
        Last edited by ADP02; 04-21-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I think Mayweather knows that none of these fighters today are as skilled as he is, for him boxing is becoming EASIER because this Era of boxing is actually getting WEAKER because Fighters today have no defense, no head movement, can't fight inside at all, a lot of them have stamina issues and they are losing their legs by the damn 6th-7th round and their footwork is AWFUL

So yes it looks like he is getting better because the fighter that fans are hyping up...many of them don't even belong in the same ring as Mayweather (like Ortiz for example!), people want to see Mayweather get knocked out so bad that they keep trying to put him in with Bigger, Powerful guys, thinking, hoping, wishing and praying that he will KO Mayweather, then when that fighter fails to do so...PEOPLE START TO HATE MAYWEATHER MORE lol

the fighters who would give Mayweather the most problems, fans find those fighters boring or they are just not very popular or a Draw so they don't get the shot at Mayweather...and that is only making Mayweather job easier

Zab was a tough fight for Mayweather earlier in their fight not because Zab was fast and left handed....but because Zab actually had BOXING SKILLS
          Last edited by KnockUTheFukOut; 04-21-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
            I think Mayweather knows that none of these fighters today are as skilled as he is, for him boxing is becoming EASIER because this Era of boxing is actually getting WEAKER because Fighters today have no defense, no head movement, can't fight inside at all, a lot of them have stamina issues and they are losing their legs by the damn 6th-7th round and their footwork is AWFUL

So yes it looks like he is getting better because the fighter that fans are hyping up...many of them don't even belong in the same ring as Mayweather (like Ortiz for example!), people want to see Mayweather get knocked out so bad that they keep trying to put him in with Bigger, Powerful guys, thinking, hoping, wishing and praying that he will KO Mayweather, then when that fighter fails to do so...PEOPLE START TO HATE MAYWEATHER MORE lol

the fighters who would give Mayweather the most problems, fans find those fighters boring or they are just not very popular or a Draw so they don't get the shot at Mayweather...and that is only making Mayweather job easier

Zab was a tough fight for Mayweather earlier in their fight not because Zab was fast and left handed....but because Zab actually had BOXING SKILLS

I gotta disagree with you, there isn't a fighter as good as Mayweather. I agree that this generation of boxers aren't half of what the 90s or even 2000s had to offer (more so 90s) but still, its hard to believe that people think there are several on an elite level. When really its one or two, with a few on the come up.

You're right about Mayweather's match ups, Though I don't get whats the big hype with him fighting Martinez, you guys act like Martinez is a messiah. Martinez fights with his hands down for crying out loud. You think Mayweather wouldn't eat him up? If he doesn't exploit it initially for what it is, he'll create a weakness. I don't think Martinez would hold up as well as some on this board claim.

Btw, Zab and Floyd grew up together or their families were pretty close. You ever try to fight your brother or ever hear of two family members fighting each other in boxing? I don't know their relationship but I think Mayweather threw Judah a bone. Even taking it a bit easy on him that fight.

BTW, this whole post isn't totally directed at you, you just touched some topics that I wanted to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by Discipline View Post
              It's like with every fight he gets better and better. Like a good wine growing more mature with age. Yes, his physical qualities are diminishing. But skill set is on the rise it appears! Seen him pull out stuff, that I've never saw him do before (this is after watching the Henry sparring and Ortiz fight again).

Here's an example. Seldom, do we see him use his shoulder roll stance versus' a southpaw, and honestly don't think he has used it as a counter weapon against them. Yet he pulls it out with ease against Ortiz, like it's nothing. (Amazing!)

Actually, come to think of it. I remember Roger saying that he's never seen him this sharp on Mayweather vs Cotto 24 7 first look.

Roger makes this claim from 0:35

he has slowed down but has got better technically against southpaws

I can't recall him moving and then throwing against southpaws like this before he fought Ortiz

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                he has slowed down but has got better technically against southpaws

I can't recall him moving and then throwing against southpaws like this before he fought Ortiz
                i think, that fmj, as he creeps up there, understands that it is better to bait guys in, so that he can keep his shots short, and on the mark...he also still turns on his punches, putting that much more pop on them...

Comment

Floyd is fighting Cotto a Pac left over, hope it back fires.

Styles make fights and Floyd has been very careful on who he choses to fight and when.

Comment

Originally posted by bose View Post
                    Floyd is fighting Cotto a Pac left over, hope it back fires.

Styles make fights and Floyd has been very careful on who he choses to fight and when.
                    Totally agree. Just like when Pacquiao fought Marquez after Mayweather dominated him. Pac thought he could do the same, but styles make fights and boy did it backfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Discipline View Post
                      Bro, Kendal Holt firstly is an orthodox fighter. Secondly, Bradley hasn't had problems I've seen with southpaws of late. His bouts with Witter, Casamayor and Alexander all ended before 12 full rounds.
                      What are u talking about moron?...Bradley doesnt have to fight like hatton to get knocked out like hatton?..And what does Manny being a southpaw have to do with the fact that bradley cant take his punch?..If Kendoll can knock his ass to the canvas like that, then when pac lands he will hurt him WAAY worse....Ur looking for every technicaility to make this a real fight....It will be like the hatton fight...Once Brad gets touched, its over, they picked him for THAT reason...LEARN about this boxing game, and THINK before u comment!

Comment

Working...
                      X