Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agree or disagree: More ATGs were "Boxer/Punchers" than any other style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The landslide for Margarito/Hearns is funny and sad at the same time.

I am not sure if I totally agree with the TS original statement, but I think it may be, since it's such an effective style, and back in the day fighters were so much more active, and went for longer rounds, and there were less KO's so fighters had to be able to adapt a style that would help them survive countless battles. Also boxer/puncher's stem from the most basic of fundamentals if you ask me. One of the most beautiful things is watching two boxers battle it out with their minds, out-thinking each other, out-strategizing each other. One of the reasons I love this sport.

Comment

I agree, but boxer/puncher is somewhat of a generic term that can cover a broad range of styles.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
        I agree, but boxer/puncher is somewhat of a generic term that can cover a broad range of styles.
        I agree, i prefer the term boxer, because it more refers to the act of out-boxing, as opposed to puncher, which suggests volume punching, looking for that ko punch, or brawling. What I meant by my first post was boxing in as pure form as you can get, or any variation where you stand fairly close to your opponent and out-box them, using slips and rolls to evade and defend, but without having to resort to springing out of range, with is different entirely.

Comment

i think it's the best style on the whole for a young fighter to try and adopt. it's also the most broad definition.

a counterpuncher looks to act second and can be outworked.

if you build pressure you are trying to shrink the ring. short career. leaves himself very open to damage

if you box purely you're looking to score points. you cant come back like that from a big enough hole.

if you brawl... you want a brawl and know how to make it. how many great pure brawlers have there been, really?

can you call defensiveness a style? for me i base my nomination of a fighter's style on his offense. defense really doesn't win you rounds. you can have great defensive skills and still fit into any of the styles put forth, perhaps outside of the brawler

the term brawler intrinsically involves those limitations in my opinion. hence why there are so few "greats" that get into straight up brawls without other options

the boxer / puncher can do all of the above. he wants to win/control rounds and do damage. that's pretty damn basic and is going to describe many great fighters.

voted option three
          Last edited by New England; 06-05-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X