cotto is finished

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    This.

Loses to any top 5 JMW? Seems like bitterness Larry. Cotto had the balls to fight Martinez and someone else didn't?

I'm fairly neutral on Cotto, but he looks in shape now unlike when he first moved up in weight, strong and muscular. He's fighting to his old strengths now too, looks sharper and more powerful.

I'm just saying what I see.
    Do you just say what you see?

You said Mayweather wouldn't fight Cotto in 2012 and you said he wouldn't fight Canelo in 2013 and he did both yet you still say he doesn't take risks so I'm not sure you do.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Do you just say what you see?
      That wasn't what I said, stop trying to work an angle. You're well aware I was referring specifically to Cotto's recent performances.

Do you agree with Larry, Cotto wouldn't beat the top 5 JMWs?

You said Mayweather wouldn't fight Cotto in 2012 and you said he wouldn't fight Canelo in 2013 and he did both yet you still say he doesn't take risks so I'm not sure you do.
      Mayweather retired rather than face Cotto and Margarito, he then avoided Pacquiao. Why should anyone have believed he was going to face even the faded version of Cotto?

Thing is, when you avoid enough fighters and show enough reluctance it's a genuine surprise when every so often he fights who the public want him to (secondary to fighting Pacquiao of course).

Don't act like it's just me who is sceptical, most of the boxing world says the same things when it comes to him, from former fighters to current trainers and that's down to his own actions. No one has any faith in him apart from the "TBE" zealots and it's more blind following than anything rational in their case.
      Last edited by Weebler I; 11-12-2014, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
        The man won the lottery............now he can cash out and retire...no shame in that at all he has had a great career
        Right, Larry...
        ... But it wasn't even about "lottery" in that one -- it was only about a final big payday for the big champ that an old-crippled Martinez used to be...

Comment

That wasn't what I said, stop trying to work an angle. You're well aware I was referring specifically to Cotto's recent performances.

Mayweather retired rather than face Cotto and Margarito, he then avoided Pacquiao. Why should anyone have believed he was going to face even the faded version of Cotto?

Thing is, when you avoid enough fighters and show enough reluctance it's a genuine surprise when every so often he fights who the public want him to (secondary to fighting Pacquiao of course).

Don't act like it's just me who is sceptical, most of the boxing world says the same things when it comes to him, from former fighters to current trainers and that's down to his own actions. No one has any faith in him apart from the "TBE" zealots and it's more blind following than anything rational in their case.
          But he did fight Cotto. And Canelo. And according to everyone involved (including Arum) he was willing to fight Cotto and Margarito in 2008. In fact, Arum maintained that until Floyd left him for more money. So why do you guys always need a crutch to back your opinion (ie. everyone says it?). Why not stick to facts? Maybe because those facts say otherwise.

Comment

Cotto is the epitome of the quote from Kathy Duva in my sig. He took short money fights. he fought at CW's that were to his disadvantage. He even went through the BS with Margs cheating.

He has earned the right to select his fights at this stage of his career.

Comment

You said "I say what I see". I dispute that.

I don't agree with Larry, no. But he's not far off.

I don't care what you're reasoning is you said he wouldn't fight Cotto in 2012 or Canelo in 2013 and he did both yet you just brush that under the rug as if it didn't happen and you didn't claim he wouldn't and continue to say he doesn't fight risks despite fighting two fighters you said he would avoid.

The rest is nonsense. "The Boxing World" says a lot of things. You of course choose the things your ears like the sound of.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                But he did fight Cotto. And Canelo. And according to everyone involved (including Arum) he was willing to fight Cotto and Margarito in 2008. In fact, Arum maintained that until Floyd left him for more money. So why do you guys always need a crutch to back your opinion (ie. everyone says it?). Why not stick to facts? Maybe because those facts say otherwise.
                I don't get these guys

Atleast stay consistent and disregard every fight before it happens.

How can you say a guy doesn't take risks of he fights guys you say he will avoid? It literally makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  If you want to buy into all the excuses he makes (and there have been many), that's entirely up to you. I don't buy any of them. Not one. The man retired.

I don't need a crutch, I mentioned the others because it's the 2nd or 3rd time Dan has come at me specifically in kind of a personal way on this (unnecessary imo). I'm making the point that there's no need for him to get upset with me because I'm not saying anything that other people aren't saying inside the sport and amongst boxing fans globally. Floyd's created his own perception from avoiding opponents to insisting on gloves and the contradictory comments and excuses he makes he's reaped what he's sown, there's no faith in him.

You said "I say what I see". I dispute that.
                  Except I didn't, what I said was "I'm just saying what I see" (specifically with regard to Cotto's performances). When you quote in speech marks, you're supposed to do it verbatim.

Only flomos have faith in the guy, no one expects him to fight the opponents the public wants him to. That's the perception he has created, address it to him, not me.
                  Last edited by Weebler I; 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM.

Comment

If you want to buy into all the excuses he makes (and there have been many), that's entirely up to you. I don't buy any of them. Not one. The man retired.

I don't need a crutch, I mentioned the others because it's the 2nd or 3rd time Dan has come at me specifically in kind of a personal way on this (unnecessary imo). I'm making the point that there's no need for him to get upset with me because I'm not saying anything that other people aren't saying inside the sport and amongst boxing fans globally. Floyd's created his own perception from avoiding opponents to insisting on gloves he's reaped what he's sown.
                    I don't have to buy into anything. Bottom line is that everyone involved in 2008 said he didn't duck them; that he was willing to fight them. In fact, even earlier than 2008 he was willing to fight them. Saying otherwise is buying into something, which you're doing.

Comment

I don't get these guys

Atleast stay consistent and disregard every fight before it happens.

How can you say a guy doesn't take risks of he fights guys you say he will avoid? It literally makes no sense.
                      You know what I love? The "he retired in 2008 to avoid them" argument. As if they all died before he returned in 2009

Comment

Working...
                      X