Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the point of Urango-Hatton again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Jesus View Post
    Hatton right now just doesnt have it. What if Hatton was american, and went to europe to fight, do you honestly think anyone would be impressed with that style?
    Of course. I don't judge a person by their nationality, a fighter is a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by adamk1304 View Post
      If hatton was american, the haters on this forum would instead be hanging by their teeth from his sack.
      like we hung onto john ruiz?

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
        Holding aside....it has been suggested Hatton hasnt fought anyone. The way he wins wasnt questioned! It was that he hadnt faced good great opposition to make him a superfighter. And i said there arent really anyone out there for him to beat that would make him a superfighter.
        Hopkins and co have often looked **** while winning as well. You cant always look good, but if you get the job done, people shouldnt question Hatton the way they do. For the sake of it and for fun.
        Ok, fair enough please tell us what note worthy fighter that was not 34years old or older that Hatton beat?

Comment

The reason for the Hatton-Urango fight was to make Hatton look good. It was a business decision. In his first foray into becoming an icon with the American public, like he is with the fans in Britain, he looked less than spectacular. In fact, in that fight- the Welterweight contest with Collazo- he was hurt badly and struggled. So what was next for him? A push-over opponent, who while still deemed as a live opponent, was a showcase for Hatton's skills.

He moves down to his more familiar weight class- the junior welterweight limit- and popped back onto HBO. Again, the network was trying to help Hatton gain some stock- become more of a star here- and therby help their purse as they have put money into him.

For the most part he failed. Hatton did not overly impress against Urango. The point was total domination or a KO to gain steam for Ricky in America.

It was a business decision.

Comment

Ummm......

I seem to remember a certain fighter who hugs more than a gay **** star, yet is idolized by a large section of this forum; the same people are are trying to discredit Hatton.

He's a heavyweight, not Ruiz though, a big guy from the Ukraine, some of you might know him. Some of you people are better than stand-up comedians [without knowing it], honestly.

Comment

The same reason Floyd fought Judah, it had no meaning, there was a belt on the line and it was an easy pay day.

Comment

Originally posted by Left2body View Post
                Ok, fair enough please tell us what note worthy fighter that was not 34years old or older that Hatton beat?
                All his last fights were respectable opponents for him. He won belts for beating them. He is still unbeaten. He is boxing other unbeaten opponents and they are losing there unbeaten records but Hatton still has his. I said there arent many great opponents. So if he beat Witter, would people say Hatton is a superfighter. You cant please everyone. It dont matter who u beat. PBF has beaten good opponents as well. People question PBF as well. People will question Hatton as well.
                But Hatton is rated by people who know about boxing. Ring magazine etc etc. God made all boxers different, so all boxers box different. Hatton gets the job done. Whatever it is he does well? He must be landing punches on his opponents because the judges give the decision to Hatton. You dont score points by holding or wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanus View Post
                  The same reason Floyd fought Judah, it had no meaning, there was a belt on the line and it was an easy pay day.
                  i agree, however that fight is a huge contrast between hattons last fight, and the judah fight, Floyd dominated judah in the latter fight and struggled early on against an opponent that actually is faster/stronger than he is.

Comment

and judah has had more than 18 fights, was a undisputed welterweight champion an light welter beltholder

Comment

Bored by this anti-Hatton stuff. I'm not a huge fan but I give the guy credit for going in and fighting hard.
                      I'm not sure why anyone would give Gatti huge respect but deny Hatton.
                      What makes Americans love Gatti but hate Hatton?????
                      There's plenty for Hatton to do to achieve greatness but the same can be said of Floyd. In fact at the moment the only current fighters who will be remembered as a great in twenty years time on their CURRENT RECORD are RJJ, Hopkins, De La Hoya and Mosley. There are some who can get there but they either have to stay at the top for a LOONNGG time (like B-Hop and RJJ) or actually beat or lose excitingly to real top ranked, competitive opposition.

Ask a man on the street who 'Winky Wright' is and they'll look puzzled and guess some kind of children's entertainer.

Comment

Working...
                      X