No announcement yet.

Joe Frazier To Be Honored At Pacquiao-Marquez Event

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Frazier To Be Honored At Pacquiao-Marquez Event

Joe Frazier to be honoured ahead of Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez's WBO welterweight title contest

Bob Arum, involved in Frazier’s fights through his promotion of Muhammad Ali three decades ago, told Telegraph Sport on Wednesday: “We have organised a montage of Joe’s life which will be shown in the arena before the fight, and then we will sound the bell in remembrance of Joe.”

Pacquiao revealed that he was inspired in his career by watching DVDs of Frazier’s fights, and aims to end his career — probably in 2013 — with a swansong fight in the Philippines. “I hope it can be another version of ‘The Thrilla in Manila’ . What happened with Joe Frazier is very sad. We’re going to pray to God and condolences to his family. His memory in boxing will remain. We won’t forget that he was a good fighter, a legendary fighter, and he put on a good fight with Muhammad Ali.

“When I was growing up, I heard about this big fight in the Philippines, and I asked my uncle for a DVD because I wanted to watch that fight.
    “My dream is to do a fight like Frazier and Ali had in the Philippines, and I hope we can promote a fight that big in the Philippines.”

Arum believes such an event could be possible. “It’s hard to imagine any other event coming close to the thriller that the event in Manila was in 1975, but it would be a great way for Manny to sign off after four more fights. Right now though, he needs to get past Marquez on Saturday night.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...e-contest.html

Great to see the Boxing fraternity honoring one of their own. Major props to Floyd as well for offering to cover funeral costs.

Way to keep Joe Frazier's memory alive.

I would like to see this memorial this coming Saturday.

Rest in peace, champ.

Comment

Nice one....

Comment

man joe frazier is an all time G.

Comment

Very good.

Very fitting for Smoking Joe.

Comment

Does Pacquiao know who Joe Frazier is?

Comment

I think Manny meant VHS, not DVD. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Seleção No. 13 View Post
                I would hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Seleção No. 13 View Post
                  u mean betamax

Comment

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
                    Does Pacquiao know who Joe Frazier is?
                    he's filipino you dumb b1tch..thrilla in manila?

Comment

Working...
                    X