Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do yall believe Floyd would be multibillionaire ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
    But don't you think some of the likability factor is the media and PR push behind those athletes. By all accounts Jordan and Tiger are A-1 douche bags in person ( Not knocking it because I think to be #1 in your sport or profession you need that arrogance and competitiveness ) but first off they were winners and the best at what they did they PR and media were able to spin them in a positive light and make the masses drink the kool-aid of them not only being great athletes but also good people.
    because they didn't behave like ****s in public. that's the difference. you want the media to start doing him favors when he can't help himself in that regard?

Comment

Loooooooool. Don't be silly.

Comment

If Floyd was white he'd just be a white woman beater which would do nothing to get him any endorsement deals, hence he wouldn't be any richer.

It's LOL worthy that Floyd plays the race card after his racist rants against Pacquiao & stupid comments against that Asian NBA player.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post

Comment

Sport isn't by any means a colour blind arena, but compared to other areas of life the cards aren't stacked quite as high against those who find themselves occupying an ethnically marked subject position.

Depictions and racist stereotypes of African Americans competing in the ring have varied over the years. There was a time when prevalent beliefs held that a thicker cranium was the reason for Blacks ability to withstand blows to the head, though a cowardly yellow streak ran through their bellies that made them vunerable to shots to the gut rendering them unsuitable for the manly arts.

Thankfully such horse**** has dropped by the wayside but other negative racial stereotypes of the supposed innate characteristics of young black males still abide. The accusation of a hyper masculine aggressiveness and a natural physicality over cognitive ability being cases in point. Now in some sports this modern day version of the antiquated nonsense from the previous paragraph is a real hinderence. For instance, it's only recently that African Americans have started to take up the quarterback position in American Football. Running with the ball, not running the game was perceived to be more in line with blacks 'natural' abilities.

Such depictions aren't a hinderence when stepping through the ropes however. They are in line with the attributes that are needed to succeed in the ring. They may still be racist assumptions but they aren't a hinderence within the sport of boxing like they are in other areas of life or indeed other sports. So the pigment of Floyd's skin hasn't had the negative effect on his career that he seems to believe.

Would he have been more successful in the ring had he have been white? Not at all. Within boxing he hasn't been barred from opportunities like he would have been in other professions, but that isn't what seems to concern him.

Would he have made more money? No doubt. Those of a white ethnicity are a bigger segment of the population so more people could have more easily identified with him by sharing a similar subject position. I didn't know much about basketball as a kid but I liked to play as Larry Bird on NBA Jam. Why? Because he was white and couldn't slam dunk. The identification came easy.

Floyd could have offset that by being the type of human being that we would more readily like to identify with. That was beyond him though and that's hurt his earning power more than his skin colour despite what he likes to tell himself.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
              Yeah agree with what your saying but if Mayweathers white he's already in Oscars shoes at that point he's already the biggest name in boxing. If Mayweather was white and played the good guy role he'd would have been promoted like Tiger was from the start of his career. Oscar would be the b-side when that fight happend.

Being exciting isn't the be all end all it helps but winning trumps all that. And there's more $ playing the good guy then the Villian.
              I understand your premise, but read back what I wrote about if he was white, his fans would already be Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers fans. Oscar became Oscar, because his fans were already boxing fans, and exposed to it. Chicanos, Mexicans, and Chicana/Mexican women.

Winning doesn't trump all that. If Floyd was the good guy, he'd be a more popular Andre Ward. It's his relatability with the urban youth, and the loud mouth, brash, black guy role that made him a mega star.
              Last edited by CatchAndShoot; 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Your missing the point,,, we are talking about why floyd isn't a billionaire... He isn't a billionaire because sponsors won't touch him due to his out of the ring tactics..

Yes playing the villian made him the highest paid athlete for a few years, but he will never be on that global icon level or even a national icon.. And that's why he isn't a billionaire...

For being the highest paid athlete, his brand is incredibly weak outside of boxing
                I completely understood your point. My point is, the good guy role and endorsements wouldn't have come near a Lebron James, Peyton Manning, and a Tiger Woods.

Being a villian is why he's known in every country as probably the only other boxer people know besides Manny, and their countries best fighter.

You're missing the point. His brand is as high as it ever could be, because he played the villain.

You just said he's the richest athlete already. If you take away his bad guy image, he's not the richest anymore, but he has a few more endorsements. This was about $$$ in the end. His endorsements wouldn't come close to making up for the millions extra he gets from PPVs.
                Last edited by CatchAndShoot; 12-18-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

No, I don't agree that Floyd would be more richer if he was white.

I do agree that he would take way less Criticism, IE Ronda Rousey for example, talks alot of trash, and ducks Cyborg and gets away with it.

But history shows that even when Rocky Marciano was HW champ, he was not the highest paid half of the time, granted Marciano was not c-o-c-k-y as well.
                  Last edited by LinealChampion; 12-18-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

If Floyd could actually read and write then perhaps he could become a multi-billionaire.

But given his low education, lavish lifestyle and gambling addiction it is highly unlikely.

It has nothing to do with his racial heritage. Nothing at all.

Comment

I will repeat it again.

If Floyd is white he will be Floyd "The Albino" Mayweather

Michael Jackson turns white that maybe Floyd was thinking all along

Comment

Working...
                      X