No announcement yet.

Flashback, 2003...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashback, 2003...

Note: I'm looking back on an article from an amateur show I did at Windsor High School in Connecticut more than 11 years ago.

Interesting: One of these boxers is in prison now. One has passed away. One is an undefeated young featherweight prospect. One is a world ranked middleweight recently signed by Golden Boy. And another just won the biggest fight of his career on ESPN this past Friday.

ICE

Iceman John Scully's Amateur Boxing Show, Windsor High School, Windsor,CT. October 25, 2003

By Jorge Luis

Tony Luis of Champs Cornwall, Ontario gets the judges decision. This was a good technical fight with Tony using his combinations and going to the body against an experienced and great technical boxer in Ricky Ledsema of New London, CT. who out weighed Tony by six pounds. Ricky and Tony put on a great show for the crowd. PHOTO: Jorge Luis with Ricky Ledsema, Tony Luis with Ricky's trainer Ulysses Bayona who owns Taino Boxing in New London, CT.

Joey Bowman in the (blue) of Champs in Cornwall, On. had his hands full with Ryan Kielczewski of Quincy, Mass. Joey defeated Kielczewski in a good hard fought full of action technical 3 rounder. Both fighters fought extremely well with Joey edging out Ryan on points.

Tramaine Williams in (black) of New Haven CT. wins over Hector Colon of Providence RI. in a three rounder. Tramaine was quick, scored some good blows, and ended with the judges decision. These two little competitors fought well, and fought hard.

Jesse Thompson from Russ Anber's Ring 83 in Montreal, Qc. loses to Matt Gibbons of Manchester, CT in a judges decision. Matt proved to be a bit stronger than Jesse. Although, I thought that Jesse fought well, and has improved considerably since the last time I saw him, was not enough to get him the victory.

David Lemieux of Russ Anber's Ring 83 in Montreal, Qc. gets the judges decision over Prince Anil Karuanidi of Manchester, CT. Prince is 17 years old and attends Cheney Tech High, trains out of the Manchester PAL Boxing Club.. Prince was a replacement for Demetrius Andrade of RI who's coach used every excuse possible to get out of fighting Super Dave. Special thanks to Prince and Paul his trainer for accepting the bout at the closing moments and turning this fight into a great competition between these two warriors.

Baha Laham of Russ Anber's Ring 83 in Montreal, Qc. loses a four rounder to Matt Remillard of Manchester PAL in a four round judges decision. This was an action packed bout with both boxers trading punches. This I thought should have been the bout of the night. It was a great technical fight with Matt showing good left to right side stepping, jabbing, and using his opponents body to spin out. Baha for a boxer who has not fought in over a year performed well. This was my first time watching these two boxers in action, and I was not disappointed. If Matt continues to fight I'm sure I will see him in the pro ranks some day.

Telly Diallo of Russ Anber's Ring 83 in Montreal, Qc. loses to Shane Vale of Meriden in a judges decision. Both fighters fought well and Shane did earn the judges decision. I thought that Telly could have taken the fight if he did not let Shane off the hook too many times. Telly would put on the pressure only to let up immediately after. Give Shane credit for taking advantage of these opportunities, continuing to apply pressure, and deserving the win.

Chritain Martinez of Bronx, NY defeats Julito Aquino of Meriden. This was a good technical fight with good body shots and hooks. These two fighters put on a great show for the crowd.

Chris Muflai of Bridgeport wins over Edgardo Torres of Windsor Pal in a judges decision. This was a good fight with Chris impressing me with his strength and good punching ability

Enrique Pallau of Worchester defeats Russell Blackwell of Ring 1 in a judges decision. A display of a good fight and good sportsmanship.

Ricky Hargett of Ring 1 defeats Edwin Espinal in a three rounder. Don't let their size fool you these kids are tough. They put on an exciting display of young raw boxing at its finest.

Andrade ducked Lemeuix? Interesting.

Comment

That is what the writer of this article is saying but I wasn't actually in the room when they were trying to make the fight

Comment

Matt is the one in prison, right? Ambushed a kid with a baseball bat over a female if i recall...dumbass.

Comment

i know the polish prince. worked several of his pro fights coming up. flashy kid, haha. comes to the ring with shades on. not a lot of talent when you're talking about boxers who make it to TV, but he's a hard worker and he's confident. scored a crazy knockout on ESPN last year that made some highlight reels for sure. he's not a big puncher, but the guy walked right into a big shot and went right out.

Comment

oh ****, matt remmillard, haha.

he [reportedly] broke some dude's ribs in one of his pro fights i attended, and he was in prison within a year or two.

Comment

Its one reason why I save all my boxing stuff...to look back on it all years later and see who ended up where...

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                oh ****, matt remmillard, haha.

he [reportedly] broke some dude's ribs in one of his pro fights i attended, and he was in prison within a year or two.
                http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...cticut-beating

"Police say Evans secretly followed Remillard as he drove to Napolitano's home, then the two got into a fight. Evans said he left but returned later that night at the request of Napolitano, who told him that she was alone. Evans claims Napolitano set him up for an ambush.

William Gerace, another lawyer for Remillard, said Evans wasn't as innocent as he portrayed himself. Gerace said Evans "stalked" Remillard and escalated the argument by punching Remillard during their initial confrontation."

If that's true, Evans must have been out of his mind. Who would start a brawl with a professional boxer?

Comment

Originally posted by valero View Post
                  http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...cticut-beating

"Police say Evans secretly followed Remillard as he drove to Napolitano's home, then the two got into a fight. Evans said he left but returned later that night at the request of Napolitano, who told him that she was alone. Evans claims Napolitano set him up for an ambush.

William Gerace, another lawyer for Remillard, said Evans wasn't as innocent as he portrayed himself. Gerace said Evans "stalked" Remillard and escalated the argument by punching Remillard during their initial confrontation."

If that's true, Evans must have been out of his mind. Who would start a brawl with a professional boxer?

Matt had trained with me that night at a gym way out of the way...the story goes that the guy was waiting for him in our parking lot but when he saw Matt walk out with a group of us he supposedly decided to wait to confront him...he followed Matt and they ended up at the girls house...

Comment

Working...
                  X