Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a home ring advantage in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a home ring advantage in boxing?

obviously other then judges being influenced by the crowd reaction assuming its not a mismatch and are between best in their division , do you think boxer would perform much better @ home country or a boxer would choke/ underperform on the road?

There is a home town advantage in all sports it really lifts people to perform at home , its a mental thing , its a confidence builder to have everybody behind you and its a familiarity comfort zone having all your training and everyday living in the area you will perform .

Comment

what fights would have had a different results if the home advantage was reversed?

Comment

I think there is a definite advantage. However, it can also totally work against you. Alot of times it honestly all about the start of the fight. If you are doing well, the crowd fees, the oppononent folds a lil, and the home town guy gets mad confident. If you start losing though, the crowd also feeds off that.

There is an uncomfortable feeling and the crowd is eerily silent. The home town boxer starts to get tight & feels like he's letting everyone down while the opponent builds off of the silince and fear in the building.

Sometimes you can be winning and still it be bad for the home guy. Like I know Floyd has hand problems and they use to be bad but I still to this day think that he kinda went down in the Hernandez fight moreso because he wasnt putting on the show at home that he wanted.

I think he felt a lil embarrased about it and wanted a bit of an excuse even though he was clearly winning every round. Its like how you can tell that he's embarrased about how tough Cotto made the fight even though Floyd clearly won

Comment

I think Froch vs Bute was definite home advantage win Froch fought inspired and Bute kind of choked on the road.
          also think Ward vs Kessler would've been a different fight in Denmark I'd love to see how an unproven ward would have done in hostile environment against the Champ

Comment

Promoters tend to reward the loyalty of the crowd with a win...they want the paying public to go away feeling happy so that hey will come back and watch their hometown hero win again next time. It's an old formula...that's why a boxer or MMA fighter almost always need a KO to win in the hometown of their opponent...and some locations are notoriously worse than others for this.

Comment

Top Rank is notorious for having advantages

Comment

Originally posted by immortal tech View Post
                what fights would have had a different results if the home advantage was reversed?
                Sturm vs Macklin
                Whitaker vs Chavez
                Khan vs Peterson
                Alexander vs Kotelnyk & Matthesye
                De la hoya vs Quartey

The list goes on but I think hometown advantage in boxing is just like any other sport. Like Hopkins said: when you fight on another mans turf your down 2 rounds going into the fight

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                  I think there is a definite advantage. However, it can also totally work against you. Alot of times it honestly all about the start of the fight. If you are doing well, the crowd fees, the oppononent folds a lil, and the home town guy gets mad confident. If you start losing though, the crowd also feeds off that.

There is an uncomfortable feeling and the crowd is eerily silent. The home town boxer starts to get tight & feels like he's letting everyone down while the opponent builds off of the silince and fear in the building.

Sometimes you can be winning and still it be bad for the home guy. Like I know Floyd has hand problems and they use to be bad but I still to this day think that he kinda went down in the Hernandez fight moreso because he wasnt putting on the show at home that he wanted.

I think he felt a lil embarrased about it and wanted a bit of an excuse even though he was clearly winning every round. Its like how you can tell that he's embarrased about how tough Cotto made the fight even though Floyd clearly won
                  True lot of pressure on the home boxer to put on a show, Devon Alexander is perfect example of one of those guys that try to impress @ home and if he is not dominating starts making mistakes

Comment

Working...
                  X