Greater Welsh Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greater Welsh Fighter

Jimmy Wilde or Joe Calzaghe

Unlike a lot of Yanks, I'm not a Calzaghe hater. But Jimmy Wilde is a clear choice here. He is one of the all time elite fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Unlike a lot of Yanks, I'm not a Calzaghe hater. But Jimmy Wilde is a clear choice here. He is one of the all time elite fighters.
      I don't know how it's an argument, honestly.

Comment

Im a huge Calzaghe fan but Wilde is the greater fighter,by a fair margin too

Comment

who did Wilde beat that was so good? he only defended his flyweight title once or twice.

this is me actually asking, I know nothing about his career and cant find any rankings about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
            who did Wilde beat that was so good? he only defended his flyweight title once or twice.

this is me actually asking, I know nothing about his career and cant find any rankings about him.
            Few living people can speak knowledgably about flyweights from over 90 years ago, so there isn't much insight about his competition. But he did have 100 KO's and only 4 losses, went years at a time without losing. and weighed less than 100 lbs most of his career. That's good enough for me.

Comment

Few living people can speak knowledgably about flyweights from over 90 years ago, so there isn't much insight about his competition. But he did have 100 KO's and only 4 losses, went years at a time without losing. and weighed less than 100 lbs most of his career. That's good enough for me.
              hmmm, records can be very deceiving. Id much rather know who he beat instead of the number of guys he beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
                hmmm, records can be very deceiving. Id much rather know who he beat instead of the number of guys he beat.
                Flyweights were lowly regarded then. Wilde campaigned as what would be now a strawweight and beat the best around. Unless you can make a case for him not beating other flyweights of note, I don't see any reason to dismiss what was obviously a brilliant career.

Comment

Flyweights were lowly regarded then. Wilde campaigned as what would be now a strawweight and beat the best around. Unless you can make a case for him not beating other flyweights of note, I don't see any reason to dismiss what was obviously a brilliant career.
                  Im just saying Ive seen far too many records that are very misleading, and would not think to appoint greatness to a fighter simply because they had a lot of wins.

Until I know enough about him, I will withhold any ranking I give him.

Comment

And from where do you plan to exponentially grow your knowledge of Wilde's competition?

Comment

Working...
                    X