No announcement yet.

Should Benitez-Moore been stopped?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Benitez-Moore been stopped?

I was never a fan of Wilfred Benitez, but this stoppage seems premature and I don't think one fighter being unable to continue based on a leg injury should warrant a KO victory for the opponent. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AlKOO7xrA0

The ref felt Wilfred stopped being competitive and he kept showing the ref that something was wrong with his leg. He did fall awkwardly and it could have
    twisted some tendons along with a muscle strain. Who knows what he felt but he did show that it bothered him.
    I would have let him finish the round and addressed the situation with him and his chief second during the rest period but one thing fans don't realize is the ref is looking right into a fighters eyes! The eyes tell a true story how a fighters doing in the ring. The ref has the best view of everything going on during a fight, of course some aren't very good at allowing a fighter to work out of pressure situations.
    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      I was never a fan of Wilfred Benitez, but this stoppage seems premature and I don't think one fighter being unable to continue based on a leg injury should warrant a KO victory for the opponent. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AlKOO7xrA0
      That was a weird fight. You notice that the referee didn't make Moore get anywhere near a neutral corner on that first 8 count. It seemed like Benitez didn't really want to fight but the timing of the stoppage was peculiar.
      As to how the result is decided, if a fighter can't continue due to an injury (not caused by a foul) then he loses by TKO. It's one of the most basic rules of boxing.

Comment

Moore was going to beat Benitez anyways, but maybe they did stop it a bit prematurely.At the time, I thought it was the right timing.

Comment

I think it should have been stopped. Benitez couldn't have continued with the injury and it was not caused be an accidental foul. We have seen similar endings. Uriah Grant-Hearns, Mugabi-Rene Jacquot and even McCline-Michael Grant come to mind and all had the same verdict.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
            Moore was going to beat Benitez anyways, but maybe they did stop it a bit prematurely.At the time, I thought it was the right timing.
            You know whats interesting? Boxing is perhaps the only sport where one can make an argument that the official(s) should consider who is ahead when a stoppage is made. It also makes sense because there is a calculus of damage, ability to defend against damage, the worth of taking damage and the attitude of the fighter who should be concentrating on going foward no matter what happens.

When I was fighting martial arts I rememer fighting my teacher...I think it was for my next rank. Previously he had knocked me out cold on my feet....lucky for me he was looking at me and saw I was out because I didn't go down! This time he had head butted me and opened up a nice fissure on my brow, I also had bloodied my elbow by putting it through a fire extingusher trying to elbow strike....He gently tapped me twice so that I stopped. My point is I had relinques all control necessary not to fight as though my life depended upon it. I needed my Sensei to be good enough to at least be just ahead of me fighting wise....otherwise he would obliterate me, or it wouldn't be a challenge....and to watch me and clue me in to stop when it was time.

I see this situation with some parallels. A fighter HAS to be able to concentrate on going foward and rely on the ref and his corner to know when he is having serious problems with long term consequences.

Under these conditions I usually give the ref the benefit of the doubt unless they abuse that privalege. When I was in my Sensei's position I can attest that it is a real challenge knowing when to push someone and when to tell them to quit. It takes a lot of skill and training!

Comment

I don't have no problem with Lucia's performance.

Like Ray said, Benitez stopped the action and clearly indicated his leg wasn't right.

Then when they continued the action he tries to put weight on it, stops, and shakes his head.

At this point I'd be concerned, then he fails to make any movement on it as he goes to the ropes. Moore gives him space but he still don't move.

I wouldn't of stopped it at the same point now looking at the footage, but the first time Benitez took consecutive heavy shots I would of jumped in.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                You know whats interesting? Boxing is perhaps the only sport where one can make an argument that the official(s) should consider who is ahead when a stoppage is made. It also makes sense because there is a calculus of damage, ability to defend against damage, the worth of taking damage and the attitude of the fighter who should be concentrating on going foward no matter what happens.

When I was fighting martial arts I rememer fighting my teacher...I think it was for my next rank. Previously he had knocked me out cold on my feet....lucky for me he was looking at me and saw I was out because I didn't go down! This time he had head butted me and opened up a nice fissure on my brow, I also had bloodied my elbow by putting it through a fire extingusher trying to elbow strike....He gently tapped me twice so that I stopped. My point is I had relinques all control necessary not to fight as though my life depended upon it. I needed my Sensei to be good enough to at least be just ahead of me fighting wise....otherwise he would obliterate me, or it wouldn't be a challenge....and to watch me and clue me in to stop when it was time.

I see this situation with some parallels. A fighter HAS to be able to concentrate on going foward and rely on the ref and his corner to know when he is having serious problems with long term consequences.

Under these conditions I usually give the ref the benefit of the doubt unless they abuse that privalege. When I was in my Sensei's position I can attest that it is a real challenge knowing when to push someone and when to tell them to quit. It takes a lot of skill and training!
                Great points that you made. I never considered it in that deep of a realm.And a lot of referess are flaky when it comes to decision making, probably the reason we have 12 round title fights made.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                  Great points that you made. I never considered it in that deep of a realm.And a lot of referess are flaky when it comes to decision making, probably the reason we have 12 round title fights made.
                  Right back at you regarding the rounds being cut.

Comment

The main reason for eliminating the 15 round title distance was the fatigue factor some encounter the last 3 rounds. Taking punishment as fatigue sets in
                    is dangerous so eliminating the last 3 rounds was thought to be a safety measure.
                    It's not reality these days no one fights hard in title fights anymore anyways!!

If you want to see men fighting hard you need to watch most prelim bouts. The guys who earn the least fight the hardest!

When was the last time you saw a champion and/or challenger exhausted at the conclusion of a fight?
                    Mayweather???? Hell he goes out to eat and his opponents go dancing!

No one puts the ballz down anymore, the title fights pay well and that's what its about. Not whipping the champ or the champ dominating just finish standing and don't worry about max effort!
                    Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X