Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Hank Armstrong ever go up against a great boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post
    You just described a prime Antonio Margarito.

Still not seeing any facts. Just a lot of butthurt and excuses. Where are Armstrongs slick boxing opponents?

I stand by my prediction. Floyd absolutely destroys this clown.
    Nah, you're just ignoring the facts provided and avoiding questions. So I'll ask one more time, who has Floyd or Marquez fought who resembled a fighter like Armstrong.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Nah, you're just ignoring the facts provided and avoiding questions. So I'll ask one more time, who has Floyd or Marquez fought who resembled a fighter like Armstrong.
      I got Barney Ross and I addressed it. Ross was about as slick as a cheese grater.

Floyd had his chance to fight a prime Margarito but ducked and opted for Baldomir. But judging by watching their films side by side, its clear that Floyd is leagues better in every way than Armstrong.

JMM has beaten Katsidis, Juan Diaz and Pacquiao 3x. All those guys applied pressure in different ways and Marquez dismantled them.

Comment

I got Barney Ross and I addressed it. Ross was about as slick as a cheese grater.

Floyd had his chance to fight a prime Margarito but ducked and opted for Baldomir. But judging by watching their films side by side, its clear that Floyd is leagues better in every way than Armstrong.

JMM has beaten Katsidis, Juan Diaz and Pacquiao 3x. All those guys applied pressure in different ways and Marquez dismantled them.

armstrong would knock marquez out

Comment

Pacquiao has done it. The sport is being run the same way as it always has.

Promoters like to make sure their guys keep winning so they match em' proper to make sure they will most likely win.

Look at Floyd, lol. He becomes WW champ by picking Baldomir.
          As if that was the best WW at the time. Half of this stuff is politics, the other half is just greed.
          I think you're missing the big difference between lineal today vs lineal then. Today, it is only comparable to Undisputed champ. There are more than four ranking bodies in each division. You only have to beat the guys in that body to get a title, and that could include the lineal title.

Armstrong had to fight the top ten contenders of his day ie. put each and every ranking bodies top ten together and all the paper champs, from WBC and WBA to IBF and WBO and that's what he had to get through just to get his shot at the main title holder.

There is a huge difference between lineal now, and lineal then. The only comparable possibility is Undisputed champ. That would get closer to equaling what took place to get to the top and become champ 40, 50, 60, 70 years ago.

Comment

No, you changing the parameters of you original post. And Armstrong was worlds better than the fighters you named, and Ross was much slicker than Marquez.

Comment

I'm still lost as to why this guy is calling Marquez a great, slick boxer but Barney Ross is as slick as a cheese grater....

Have I been watching someone else all these years?

Having I also been thinking it was someone else that was being referred to as a defensive master with an educated left jab, in reference to Ross, who could outslick Canzoneri?

If you use Marquez as a measuring stick for being a great boxer, Ross more than meets your expectations. In fact, Ross surpasses them hugely in that category.

Comment

Still not seeing any facts. Just a lot of butthurt and excuses. Where are Armstrongs slick boxing opponents?

If you can't tell Armstrong is far more skilled than Margarito, something is seriously wrong with you. The only guy to come close to Armstrong's skill set is Joe Frazier. He a bum too? And Armstrong is still a better technician than Frazier.

And I already told you Midget Wolgast was slick. Not my problem you have no idea who he is.

Comment

Evidently, you know nothing of Barney Ross.

Comment

He didn't fight any pure slick fighters.

Again, which one's should he have fought?

Comment

Armstrong fought some of the best. Sugar Ray Robinson, Sammy Angott, Benny Bass, Chalky Wright, Fritie Zivic, Petey Sarron, Lou Ambers, Beau Jack, Lew Jenkins, Barney Ross, Erico Venturi, Leo Rodak, Ernie Roderick, Varias Milling, Tippy Larkin, Lew Massey, Pedro Montanez, Ceferino Garcia, Al Bummy Davis, Baby Arizmendi, Young Rodolfo Casanova, Davey Day, Lew Feldman, Willie Joyce, Frankie Klick, Juan Zurita, Mike Belloise and Midget Wolgast. All these fighters were either World Champions or were rated #1 at one time or another.

Of Armstrong's 181 fights, 109 were against fighters that were rated in the top 10 at one time or another, and 46 of them were either a World Champion or rated #1 at one time or another.

Both Larkin and Joyce were Great Slick pure boxers, as were many of the others.
                      Last edited by hhascup; 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X