Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lol Cassius Clay @ the Floyd vs Ortiz fight huh?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol Cassius Clay @ the Floyd vs Ortiz fight huh?

Making his pro debut? What's the background on that?? Pretty big shoes to fill.

September 17
    At Las Vegas (HBO PPV): Victor Ortiz vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr., 12 rounds, for Ortiz's WBC welterweight title; Erik Morales vs. Pablo Cesar Cano, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC junior welterweight title; Jessie Vargas vs. Josesito Lopez, 10 rounds, junior welterweights; Kyrone Butler vs. Cassius Clay, 4 rounds, junior lightweights; Said Ouali vs. Carson Jones, 10 rounds, welterweights; Marco Antonio Periban vs. Dhafir Smith, 8 rounds, super middleweights; Anthony Crolla vs. Juan Manuel Montiel, 8 rounds, lightweights; Dion Savage vs. Adonis Stevenson, 6 rounds, middleweights

is it actually any relation?

Comment

Originally posted by El.Naranjito707 View Post
      is it actually any relation?
      I don't think so but I literally know nothing on this kid. Obviously google searching "Cassius Clay" aint working lol.

Comment

found this

Nevada Golden Gloves report:
        So this past weekend was the Nevada State GG tournament. We only had one fighter in the actual tournament, Blake Flores, and he lost in the finals. Mike trains him, but his biggest problem is the same as mine was when I first started. He's good at Boxing, but he loves to FIGHT. So he tends to get low and try to out-slug smaller guys, compromising his height and reach. That's what happened here, and he ran out of gas.

In off-bouts, Tocco's looked fantastic as we had 3 boys, and they all won.

Lawrence Hughes - 19 years old, trained by Merqui, beat a fighter who came up from Arizona.

Jesse Rosales - 10 years old. Trained by John Roberts (worked with Ruslan Chagaev, currently trains Anthony Lenk and Jesus Gutierrez), won a decision against a kid from Barry's Boxing. Competitive, but while the other fighter began every exchange, Jesse finished them emphatically.

Isaac Martinez - Trained by Danny Garcia, won via second round stoppage.

I didn't get to work any corners, but I was watching Jesse's opponent, and John asked me how he looked. I said he punched wide, so John had Jesse throw straight shots mostly, seemed to work well. And I knew Isaac hits hard, but he's not very busy. We told him to hit the body, then come up. He kept throwing a straight left to the body, right hook high, straight left high combination that worked like a charm.

[...]

Drama drama on the heels of this event. A guy came here to Tocco's by the name of Cassius Clay (for real), and is training under Mike for a re-match of his first-round loss in the tournament to Kyron Butler. Kyron arrived at Tocco's today to train under Floyd Sr. (at least for the day). So as of right now both these guys are in the same Gym.

http://www.nobsboxing.com/forum/view...php?f=4&t=1176

Comment

That's pretty cool. I hope he's the prospect. The guy he's fighting is making his debut as well, so there's no way to tell.

Comment

a couple weeks back someone said they went to the mayweather gym and talked about roger referring to someone as cassius clay. maybe that poster can shed some light, it's probably the same person.

Comment

That's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Heeb View Post
                That's pretty cool. I hope he's the prospect. The guy he's fighting is making his debut as well, so there's no way to tell.
                It's interesting that Kyron Butler beat Clay at least once in the amateurs, according to that info I posted above.

I don't think I would want a famous name like that though. Remember "The New Ray Robinson?" lol it never turns out good when you're named after a legend.

Comment

http://www.boxingscene.com/video-bsc...terview--43458

Comment

good find, downloading now.

Comment

Working...
                    X