No announcement yet.

Paulie Malignaggi Leaving Buddy McGirt?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mangler View Post
    McGirt and Steward have lost a lotta their shine as trainers recently.
    Agreed, but at least Manny earned his shine. What did Buddy ever do to warrant being mentioned as a good or great trainer?

Comment

Originally posted by timba1988 View Post
      No.

Hatton beats Mallignaggi any day of the week. The only reason he looked good was because Diaz has very little power, and he could let his combo's go. And remember, Mallignaggi was getting beat up by Hatton even though he was running for the whole fight. If he fought Hatton how he fought Diaz he would have been destroyed.

Basically, Hatton is better than what people give him credit for. Mallignaggi is decent. Diaz is, and was, overrated.
      hatton is a bit one dimensional no offense.

paulie was getting it from hatton. no doubt about it BUT i think the paulie that beat diaz beats hatton.

in all weeks leading up to the fight and all the threads about gameplans for both i always talked about the key things paulie (just so happened) to use in the diaz fight which was:

A) Speed - in the hatton fight he was more or less using all his speed on that bike. which wasnt what i was referring to. by speed i mean he obviously has faster hand/foot speed than hatton and if you say otherwise you're crazy. especially the hatton he fought...which has slowed down a little bit in the last year.

B) force hatton to fight YOUR fight (ie. for paulie it would be a boxing match...not a brawl). this goes back to my first point, use your speed and boxing ability (stick and move like he did with diaZ) to score points on hatton while staying on your toes. hatton couldnt catch paulie's speed. especially the speed in the diaz fight. even juan had trouble keeping up and he's much younger than hatton and not even in his prime yet. give him two years or so and he'll be on his BEST game.

C) the defense/ring generalship. no need to explain. just watch the diaz fight to see what i mean compared to how he handled hatton.

if paulie did those things (as he did do in the diaz fight) he would have etched out a decision from hatton. i mean juan lazcano of all people gave hatton a run for his money in a TUNE UP FIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Italian View Post
        hatton is a bit one dimensional no offense.

paulie was getting it from hatton. no doubt about it BUT i think the paulie that beat diaz beats hatton.

in all weeks leading up to the fight and all the threads about gameplans for both i always talked about the key things paulie (just so happened) to use in the diaz fight which was:

A) Speed - in the hatton fight he was more or less using all his speed on that bike. which wasnt what i was referring to. by speed i mean he obviously has faster hand/foot speed than hatton and if you say otherwise you're crazy. especially the hatton he fought...which has slowed down a little bit in the last year.

B) force hatton to fight YOUR fight (ie. for paulie it would be a boxing match...not a brawl). this goes back to my first point, use your speed and boxing ability (stick and move like he did with diaZ) to score points on hatton while staying on your toes. hatton couldnt catch paulie's speed. especially the speed in the diaz fight. even juan had trouble keeping up and he's much younger than hatton and not even in his prime yet. give him two years or so and he'll be on his BEST game.

C) the defense/ring generalship. no need to explain. just watch the diaz fight to see what i mean compared to how he handled hatton.

if paulie did those things (as he did do in the diaz fight) he would have etched out a decision from hatton. i mean juan lazcano of all people gave hatton a run for his money in a TUNE UP FIGHT.
        Lazcano has much, much, much more power than Mallignaggi. That's the jist of it. Mallignaggi could never command Hattons respect, and thus couldn't keep him off him for the whole fight. However, Hatton had the power to command Mallignaggi's respect, something that Diaz didn't.

I can understand your opinion, but for me, Mallignaggi will never be able to beat a boxer like Hatton.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Italian View Post

The thing is he was facing Diaz who is a 135 featherfisted pressure fighter not Ricky Hatton at 140 who is/was ****ing good no matter how limited people think he is after the Pac embarrasment..

Hatton would just not allow him to do those things as he is a bigger, stronger, faster and just plain better fighter then Diaz.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd R View Post
            Paulie Malignaggi looks like he has become a better fighter since leaving Buddy McGirt. He mentioned that his skills deteriorated studying with McGirt and he feels that he is returning back to original form with his new coach. Paulie mentioned that McGirt only knows how to teach in one way which was not beneficial for him. In some ways this reminds me of the union between Emmanuel Stewart and Jermaine Taylor which just didn't work. Do you think the outcome of the fight between Malignaggi and Hatton would have been different if Malignaggi wasn't trained by McGirt?
            the only reason why paulie left mcgirt is because paulie was mad that mcgirt stopped the hatton fight.

yeah, paulie looked better against diaz, but diaz is a little dude.

Comment

I have liked Paulie ever since his valiant effort against Cotto. I thought Cotto was gonna destroy him in the middle rounds and after surviving the knockdown, he fought toe to toe against Cotto even with a broken face! He finished the fight and won some rounds in the process. I like my fighters to have to some pop in their punches, but I'll make an exception for someone with balls like Paulie.
              Hatton doesn't get enough credit for beating Paulie because of the way Pacquiao took him out. Remember that a lot of people were favoring Hatton because of the way he handle Paulie's speed. Styles make fights. I think Hatton would beat Juan Diaz in a close fight.
              Paulie became the unofficial voice of the fans last weekend. I respected the fact that he showed nothing but respect for Diaz (decision wasn't his fault) and even showed gratitude for Houston while they were booing him, lol.

Comment

Apparently he feels more comfortable with the switch in trainers.

So if that's what it took to make him shine a little brighter, then that's what he should continue doing.

He definitely looked a lot better against Diaz.

His Achilles heel will always be lack of power, cuts, and brittle hands unless
                he can figure out a way to make improvement in those areas.

Looks like the change in trainers is working out for him.

Comment

Working...
                X