No announcement yet.

Why Holly Holm opted out of Ronda Rousey rematch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Thing is in the UFC if you win you get the fight. Whatever happens worse case I suspect Holm is a win from a title shot. She was up 3-1 on my card vs Tate & winning the 5th round before getting choked out so its not a hard argument she deserves a rematch automatically, but for sure she should get one after a W vs a top contender. And she already beat Ronda so she's surely at the top of the list of Ronda opponents if Ronda regains the belt.

The UFC don't work like pro-boxing. Bob Arum woulda had 7 strokes by now if boxing operated like the UFC does with all his name guys losing.
    I agree. In fact in terms of generating money the best route right now for a rematch between Holly and Rhonda is for Rhonda to regain the belt from Tate - which will be an easy 3rd win for Rhonda. Holly fights a top-10 contender to get back on the winning side. And then Holly and Rhonda do the rematch for big bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Thing is in the UFC if you win you get the fight. Whatever happens worse case I suspect Holm is a win from a title shot. She was up 3-1 on my card vs Tate & winning the 5th round before getting choked out so its not a hard argument she deserves a rematch automatically, but for sure she should get one after a W vs a top contender. And she already beat Ronda so she's surely at the top of the list of Ronda opponents if Ronda regains the belt.

The UFC don't work like pro-boxing. Bob Arum woulda had 7 strokes by now if boxing operated like the UFC does with all his name guys losing.
      My thing is this, isn't ridiculous that when it came to a Holm rematch Dana and Ronda were both trying to wait as long as a year to fight, yet once Tate won Ronda says she needs to get back to work?

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
        My thing is this, isn't ridiculous that when it came to a Holm rematch Dana and Ronda were both trying to wait as long as a year to fight, yet once Tate won Ronda says she needs to get back to work?
        Exactly. We'll see how soon Dana makes Rousey-Tate 3. If it does happen soon, Rousey more than likely wins and she disappears again to avoid Holm.

On a side note, Holm deserves a rematch with Tate way more than Rousey. Holm won 3 out of 4 rounds and lost in the final round. She showed that she had what it takes to beat Miesha, she just got caught and it wasn't her night.

Rousey on the other hand looked like dog**** the entire fight against Holm and Ko'd in the 2nd. She was outclassed and took a real beating.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
          Exactly. We'll see how soon Dana makes Rousey-Tate 3. If it does happen soon, Rousey more than likely wins and she disappears again to avoid Holm.

On a side note, Holm deserves a rematch with Tate way more than Rousey. Holm won 3 out of 4 rounds and lost in the final round. She showed that she had what it takes to beat Miesha, she just got caught and it wasn't her night.

Rousey on the other hand looked like dog**** the entire fight against Holm and Ko'd in the 2nd. She was outclassed and took a real beating.
          Rousey will beat either 4 out of 5 times...... ONe bad nite doesn't equal a mismatch....Tate CAN win since ronda will be rusty but I don't believe Holm would have beat her in a rematch . Tate was cautious...and even now ronda can be aggressive take a punch take it to the ground and it will be over fast,only so much one can do in that situation and that will be the situation.

Comment

If Ronda plans on continuing her fighting career, i think this Holly loss might have been good for her. Maybe Ronda got complacent with such easy armbar-takedowns, and got overwhelmed by a fresh, hungry very good Holly.

Same with Canelo, even though he was badly embarrassed, the Floyd fight was good for him. I'm hoping this is the case with Ronda. I'd like to see her get the title back. Now that she remembers she can be beat, she'll be better for it, and be a hungry, more focused fighter again. We'll see.

Don't know if she can continue her acting crap and balance 2 careers, but if she wants to win, she better throw herself totally into training and sparring. Gotta get that hunger back for it. She took that loss really hard.
            Last edited by jazluvr; 03-08-2016, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
              Rousey will beat either 4 out of 5 times...... ONe bad nite doesn't equal a mismatch....Tate CAN win since ronda will be rusty but I don't believe Holm would have beat her in a rematch . Tate was cautious...and even now ronda can be aggressive take a punch take it to the ground and it will be over fast,only so much one can do in that situation and that will be the situation.
              I really don't think that was just a bad night for Ronda. It seems like Holly just has her number. It's going to take Ronda really working on her wrestling, which from what I read/hear she never works on because of her knees. Tate is much more well rounded than Ronda is. If Ronda is going to rely on taking Holm down from the clinch I just don't think it's going to work. Holly is stronger then all of those girls. Tate took her down from craftiness and wrestling take downs. Also in order to get Holly in the clinch she's gotta get close to her. That requires eating left hands all over again.

Comment

I really don't think that was just a bad night for Ronda. It seems like Holly just has her number. It's going to take Ronda really working on her wrestling, which from what I read/hear she never works on because of her knees. Tate is much more well rounded than Ronda is. If Ronda is going to rely on taking Holm down from the clinch I just don't think it's going to work. Holly is stronger then all of those girls. Tate took her down from craftiness and wrestling take downs. Also in order to get Holly in the clinch she's gotta get close to her. That requires eating left hands all over again.

Good points and post. But if Tate was that much more rounded than Ronda, she wouldn't have lost her 2 fights with her. I'm really eager to see how this unfolds. Ronda has a problem with her knees? I didn't know that. Not being sarcastic.

Comment

I dont need a tate holm rematch. Ive always hated rematches right off the bat unless the champion had been a champion for a long time. Either way just because ronda said she was gonna start trainjng foeant mean the fight happens in 3 months maybe 5 enough time to get in shape and lose the mass she has put on

Comment

Ronda fought her fight the entire time...its bad when your gassing after one round and continue to try a k.o...... Depending on Ronda herself is how the Tate fight will turn out. I don't believe Tate makes Ronda less confident so I see only distractions around Rondas fame and celebrity spot light being her sole crutch. Also Tate is not a finisher ion the ground ,Ronda is which is why she handled Tate easy and would in all likleyhood get either to the ground again. as I posted prior to the Holm fight vs Tate it will back fire on Holm if she lost and she did...however I think if Rousey wins vs Tate it then becomes a free fight for Holm really...so its a wash...though I would have Rousey winning it.

And no....Rousey vs Holm would be the biggest fight in MMA ever possibly...so White certainly wants that fight.He doesn't care of stars as much as UFc notoriety,drama is what sells UFc not just characters,Ronda is not going to fight forever believe me anyway.
                    Last edited by juggernaut666; 03-13-2016, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
                      Good points and post. But if Tate was that much more rounded than Ronda, she wouldn't have lost her 2 fights with her. I'm really eager to see how this unfolds. Ronda has a problem with her knees? I didn't know that. Not being sarcastic.
                      More well rounded in the sense that she is good at most aspects off MMA just not exceptional at anything whereas Ronda is just a monster at Judo and she's stronger. No matter what if Ronda gets Mies ha in the clinch enough or on the ground she is going to stop her. Because she's just the best judoka around. Also her standup is on par with Tate's if not slightly better.

Comment

Working...
                      X