Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Has More Punching Power At 147 - Malignaggi, Bradley Or Broner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
    I think people are going to see Broner's power at 147 tomorrow night.

Paulie moves so much, it's harder for a puncher to fully commit to their punches. If you notice, Broner was landing clean shots, but mostly arm punches against Paulie because of Paulie's mobility. Maidana will be right there for him and I suspect Broner is going to pick him apart with some nasty work.
    A similar scenario did cross my mind too, Maidana's style should be easier for Broner to deal with in terms of having a slower target to hit. The problem is when Broner opens up and gets aggressive he can actually get caught with shots himself, look at the Gavin Rees fight for example, he got hit clean but Rees had no power. Question is if he gets caught with some hard Maidana shots how is he going to take them? Will he shell up again like he did against Paulie and will Maidana's constant pressure then make it another close fight due to Broner's inactivity? I guess the bottom line is that if Broner can't hurt Maidana with his best shots he might get discouraged and stick to his defense at the expense of his offense (like he did against Paulie but for a different reason).

Now Maidana took Ortiz, Khan, Alexander shots without being knocked out, I don't think Broner showed in the Paulie fight that he has significantly more power than any one of those fighters 147 (in fact Khan stopped Paulie but Broner was unable to), so Maidana might be able to take Broner's punches without too much difficulty. But styles make fights, we'll see it goes..

Comment

Bradley did hurt Abregu several times in his debut.

Comment

Originally posted by F!x View Post
        A similar scenario did cross my mind too, Maidana's style should be easier for Broner to deal with in terms of having a slower target to hit. The problem is when Broner opens up and gets aggressive he can actually get caught with shots himself, look at the Gavin Rees fight for example, he got hit clean but Rees had no power. Question is if he gets caught with some hard Maidana shots how is he going to take them? Will he shell up again like he did against Paulie and will Maidana's constant pressure then make it another close fight due to Broner's inactivity? I guess the bottom line is that if Broner can't hurt Maidana with his best shots he might get discouraged and stick to his defense at the expense of his offense (like he did against Paulie but for a different reason).

Now Maidana took Ortiz, Khan, Alexander shots without being knocked out, I don't think Broner showed in the Paulie fight that he has significantly more power than any one of those fighters 147 (in fact Khan stopped Paulie but Broner was unable to), so Maidana might be able to take Broner's punches without too much difficulty. But styles make fights, we'll see it goes..
        You can't compare how Broner fights against a Gavin Rees to a Maidana though. Broner will likely give Maidana more respect than he gave Rees. Broner always gauges his opponent's power early in fights before he walks them down. If Maidana can make Broner feel his power AND be quick enough so that Broner doesn't see everything coming, we may see Broner actually box and move more to get hit less. But I see this fight possibly resembling the DeMarco fight and we all know how that went.

Comment

Between Broner and Bradley, we will see this weekend

Comment

You can't compare how Broner fights against a Gavin Rees to a Maidana though. Broner will likely give Maidana more respect than he gave Rees. Broner always gauges his opponent's power early in fights before he walks them down. If Maidana can make Broner feel his power AND be quick enough so that Broner doesn't see everything coming, we may see Broner actually box and move more to get hit less. But I see this fight possibly resembling the DeMarco fight and we all know how that went.
            The DeMarco fight was at 135 and I think Broner had a weight advantage on fight night because I assumed he rehydrated to a much heavier weight than DeMarco on fight night so that would have added to his punching power, just due to the additional weight. Don't think he'll do that with Maidana, and Maidana has been in with good punchers before but never been stopped. Broner hasn't shown significant power at 147, he couldn't stop Paulie who had been stopped by both Khan and Hatton before - and Hatton was a little slower than Broner. Paulie has a great chin but the fact is he has been stopped before and Broner couldn't stop him.

I'm just not convinced that Broner's power has traveled up to 147, I also think that if Maidana is able to land just a few good, hard shots on Broner he is going to shell up again and fight as defensively as possible, looking for the counterpunch all night, more similar to the Ponce De Leon fight rather than the DeMarco fight if I remember correctly - been a while since I seen those fights.

Comment

Even though he's only had one fight I'm still gonna say Broner because he sits down on his punches more than the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by F!x View Post
                The DeMarco fight was at 135 and I think Broner had a weight advantage on fight night because I assumed he rehydrated to a much heavier weight than DeMarco on fight night so that would have added to his punching power, just due to the additional weight. Don't think he'll do that with Maidana, and Maidana has been in with good punchers before but never been stopped. Broner hasn't shown significant power at 147, he couldn't stop Paulie who had been stopped by both Khan and Hatton before - and Hatton was a little slower than Broner. Paulie has a great chin but the fact is he has been stopped before and Broner couldn't stop him.

I'm just not convinced that Broner's power has traveled up to 147, I also think that if Maidana is able to land just a few good, hard shots on Broner he is going to shell up again and fight as defensively as possible, looking for the counterpunch all night, more similar to the Ponce De Leon fight rather than the DeMarco fight if I remember correctly - been a while since I seen those fights.
                It's not about the weight, it's about the styles. I already explained why Broner likely didn't show great power against Paulie. If you've ever boxed a guy who has quick feet and moves a lot, you know it discourages you from throwing full power because they're harder to find. Broner was opting for precision and quickness against Paulie not power so you haven't seen a fair assessment of Broner's power at 47.

Let's see how things go Saturday...

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
                  Even though he's only had one fight I'm still gonna say Broner because he sits down on his punches more than the other two.
                  Bingo. And this is why he's the leading candidate.

Power isn't about weight. It's about punching technique, rhythm and commitment. Broner's punches are better than Bradley and Paulies in those areas.

Comment

It's not about the weight, it's about the styles. I already explained why Broner likely didn't show great power against Paulie. If you've ever boxed a guy who has quick feet and moves a lot, you know it discourages you from throwing full power because they're harder to find. Broner was opting for precision and quickness against Paulie not power so you haven't seen a fair assessment of Broner's power at 47.

Let's see how things go Saturday...
                    Paulie has been stopped before by both Khan and Hatton and those fights were much less competitive than the Broner fight - Paulie was holding his own in the Broner fight for most of the rounds but against Khan and Hatton he was pretty much dominated for most of the fight. Now you might say that it's because styles make fights (which is a possibility) or it could be because Broner's power hasn't traveled up to 147 so he was unable to throw Paulie off his game the way Khan and Hatton were able to.

There is a point fighters reach when they move up in weight that their punching power becomes less ferocious. I'm wondering whether this is going to happen to Broner at 147 - he might just be an average puncher at 147 when at the lower weights he was a power puncher.. But we'll see what happens..

Comment

That's easy. Broner punches much harder than Bradley and Bradley punches much harder than Pauli.

Comment

Working...
                      X