No announcement yet.

Is there such thing as a Lucky Punch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such thing as a Lucky Punch?

If you're going to vote that there are such thing as Lucky punches, but Marquez was not lucky...then explain how it wasnt lucky, and show an example of what a lucky punch is....thats the point of this thread!

Do you believe in such a thing as a "Lucky Punch?" or does it just happen to be a PERFECT punch? If you believe in Luck, how do you define it and what are some examples? If you don't believe in Luck, then tell me why via solid reasoning or analysis of one of the fights I consider luck mentioned later on in this thread.

I for one, believe in Luck...and there is a reason they call it the Theater of the Unexpected....Luck is when preparation & opportunity meet

I believe that all the events that come together that result in a KO that one would consider shocking, involves a degree of luck...the circumstances involved at a particular moment are to perfect for me to believe otherwise.

If a fighter is pretty much winning the fight to a point where its the decisions they make that will dictate the outcome, and they get KO'd one could argue it was a product of luck (among other things). Here me out. Manny Pacquiao was doing decent in that fight, he was moving a lot more, he was on his feet, his left found a nice cozy home on Marquez's face. I for one, thought he was controlling that majority of the fight (save the KD which ill talk about in a second) ....Pacquiao was the faster fighter, he was the one countering Marquez, feinting, drawing him in and landing far more accurately than Marquez. Round 6, Pacquiao got reckless, walked in a straight line hands completely down, and looked to be leading with a weak jab, right into Marquez....Being a southpaw, and Marquez Orthodox, in a situation like this, an overhand right is textbook..I believe any boxer who knows the basics would know to throw that punch at that particular moment....and Marquez threw that punch, it connected, and KO'd Pacman....now comparing this to the first Knockdown of the fight, Marquez threw a jab, feinted to the body..which brought Pacmans hands down, and Marquez threw a perfect overhand right......that was not luck, that was pure boxing skill....the same punch that finished Pacman in the 6th did not look like that, Marquez was LUCKY that Pacquaio was reckless, and created the perfect opportunity that JMM exploited. Marquez didnt set up any traps, didnt feint Pac into coming forward, didn't do anything to set that punch up..he got lucky that the opportunity presented itself.

Now i am not trying to discredit Marquez's victory...he prepared for this fight (PEDs or not), and his power and timing assisted in his victory...but I still think Marquez was lucky and fortunate the event unfolded as they do to allow him to throw a punch that ended the fight. Here are some examples of what I consider Lucky punches/Lucky KO's....its a thin line to argue the existence of a lucky punch, due to the fact these fighters prepare and train there whole lives ...but the opportunities and the time they present themselves..is an uncontrollable event that results in a KO (IMO) ..therefore I consider it luck.

Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham - VERY similar to the way Marquez/Pacquiao ended.... Graham (Southpaw) was leading on the scorecards, and was rushing in with a lead left, he dropped his guard and Jackson threw a mean overhand right that connected and KO'd him...I consider this luck, Graham beating up on Jackson, leading on the scorecards...and he got careless, and a combination of luck and Grahams mistake...Jackson was able to get the Knockout...

John Tate vs Mike Weaver - Tate was up 12 rounds going into the 15th, he was getting beat hard...out of nowhere, Weaver knocks Tate out COLD ...a fighter who most people figured had no chance at this point, won with a short left hook... All Tate had to do was cruise to a victory, but Weaver was lucky enough that Tate decided to stand in close with his guard down.

Arturo Gatti vs Gabriel Ruelas - Gatti was getting brutalized , especially round 5, then in Round 6 ... Ruelas stupidly kept moving forward, got hit with two big body shots, followed by a left hook that connected, a right cross that connected... at this point Ruelas should have backed up or at least kept his hands up, he had plenty of time these werent quick hits, they were slow and powerful.....but after that right hand connected, Gatti threw the same left hook he did before and knocked Ruelas out cold...i consider this luck because Gatti would never have been able to do that if it were not for Ruelas mistake, i mean those situations had to be perfect for a KO to happen..i.e luck

George Foreman vs Michael Moorer - Ultimate lucky punch IMO, Foreman 46 years old, slow as a mofo, getting beat and was able to KO Moorer....this fight is infamous shouldn't have to describe why i think this is luck.

Roy Jones Jr vs Antonio Tarver II - Only two rounds, but Jones clearly wont hat first round, second round, Jones threw a crappy combination and Tarver threw a hail mary left and BAM knocked down Jones...the moment that occurred everything had to be exactly right, and was a product of circumstance...i.e. luck.

Knockouts that I dont consider luck for comparison purposes:

Shane Mosley vs Ricardo Mayorga
    Tommy Hearns vs Roberto Duran
    Rocky Marciano vs Jersey Joe Walcott
    Manny Pacquiao vs Ricky Hatton
    Yes there is such thing as a Lucky Punch
    19.69%
    No there is no such thing as a Lucky Punch
    35.43%
    Yes there is such thing as a Lucky Punch, but Marquez punch was not Lucky
    44.88%
    Last edited by Nekronicle; 12-10-2012, 12:39 AM.

There is video of JMM working on this punch. This is just a sad way to try to discredit it by listing other fights. Pac got destroyed end of story!

Comment

I want to see the PunchZone stat picture. It was 2 punches landed on Pacquiao's chin KD+KO

Comment

It takes two for these things to happen. That's the "luck" in it.

Comment

Look at my sig, its as clear as day it was a lucky punch

Comment

Originally posted by Fetta View Post
            There is video of JMM working on this punch. This is just a sad way to try to discredit it by listing other fights. Pac got destroyed end of story!
            uh...how is listing other fights discrediting anything??? I'm using that for comparison purposes and support for why I believe in luck...i explicitly say this isnt a way to discredit JMM.

Comment

And if you're going to vote that there are such thing as Lucky punches, but Marquez was not lucky...then explain how it wasnt lucky, and show an example of what a lucky punch is....thats the point of this thread!

Comment

If you can watch the video of Marquez taking a step back and countering a PAC miss right on the button and call it as a lucky punch you either don't know how boxing works or you are lying to yourself. That was a perfect counter shot. As good as you will ever see.

Comment

I don't think it was a lucky punch. Marquez has trained his whole to be able to hit those targets. Marquez is a solid puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
                    If you can watch the video of Marquez taking a step back and countering a PAC miss right on the button and call it as a lucky punch you either don't know how boxing works or you are lying to yourself. That was a perfect counter shot. As good as you will ever see.
                    So you don't believe in the existence of a lucky punch??

Comment

Working...
                    X