Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody taken and passed the FE exam lately?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody taken and passed the FE exam lately?

Fundamentals of Engineering

I am planning on taking it next year, either in April or October. I am in my junior year for Civil Engineering. Therefore, there are still some classes I need to take in order to be prepared for FE Exam. My older brother has his PE. There are 18 sections on FE, and I think I've satisfied about 8-10 sections, meaning I've taken the curriculum covered. Next semester I am taking Fluid Mechanics, Structural Analysis I, Environmental Engineering, Engineering Geology, Environmental Lab, and maybe Properties of Materials. Summer, I plan on taking Thermodynamics and Engineering Economics.

I started looking into the test material. I plan on borrowing FE books from my brother and just start doing like 10-20 problems a day, from various sections. This is so I can get my brain wired to constantly think about exam material, on a day-to-day basis. I need to figure out how else to study for the exam. They also offer FE review classes at my school. The test is multiple choice, maybe 120 questions, and 6 hrs. long.

Comment

Aren't the job prospects in Civil Engineering not that good?

I read that Petroleum engineering is where it's at as far as making money right out of college, since they're heavily in demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post

I read that Petroleum engineering is where it's at as far as making money right out of college, since they're heavily in demand.
        Civil engineering is an important field of study. There will always be work for civil engineers. For instance, some areas within civil engineering include structural, water, environmental, geotechnical, and traffic engineering. Infrastructure is very important to the progress and growth of a country. The job rate for graduates at my school is 95% out of college. Like I said, the great thing about the profession is that you can do so much with it, especially infrastructure. I chose this profession, out of practicality and since my brother has a good job as a Civil Engineer, therefore connections.

There are many opportunities in the private and government sectors. So, as long as I keep working hard, get good grades, and my license, then I think I will be okay. Also, I think having any kind of engineering degree opens up doors for job opportunities in other engineering fields. So, I don't doubt if I can find work in the petroleum industry with a civil engineering degree. My emphasis is probably going to be structural engineering, but I need to take a few more classes to see what the other areas offer.

Comment

That's good, nepotism never hurts.

And I agree on the possibility of going into petroleum with a civil degree, since they're dying for more people majoring that field. They can start you off with 100k right out of college.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post

That's where the money is at. No doubt.

Have a friend, lives out in Texas. Outskirts of Houston.

"Get the jet."

I should have stayed in school.

Petro-Engineers get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
              That's where the money is at. No doubt.

Have a friend, lives out in Texas. Outskirts of Houston.

"Get the jet."

I should have stayed in school.

Petro-Engineers get paid.
              It's never too late. In fact they may even prefer a 41 year old with a 4-year degree, rather than a 22 year old, wet-behind-his-ears graduate.

Either way, they're not too choosy as they're desperate for more people in that field.

Comment

I have. I actually passed PE exam already.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingCasualFan View Post
                  I have. I actually passed PE exam already.
                  Really? When'd you take the PE?
                  I'm just concerned how the questions are.... I read that some of the guides they sell are outdated and maybe 1-2 of the problems in there reflect the difficulty or level of questions on the FE

Originally posted by sparkman0811 View Post
                  I am planning on taking it next year, either in April or October. I am in my junior year for Civil Engineering. Therefore, there are still some classes I need to take in order to be prepared for FE Exam. My older brother has his PE. There are 18 sections on FE, and I think I've satisfied about 8-10 sections, meaning I've taken the curriculum covered. Next semester I am taking Fluid Mechanics, Structural Analysis I, Environmental Engineering, Engineering Geology, Environmental Lab, and maybe Properties of Materials. Summer, I plan on taking Thermodynamics and Engineering Economics.

I started looking into the test material. I plan on borrowing FE books from my brother and just start doing like 10-20 problems a day, from various sections. This is so I can get my brain wired to constantly think about exam material, on a day-to-day basis. I need to figure out how else to study for the exam. They also offer FE review classes at my school. The test is multiple choice, maybe 120 questions, and 6 hrs. long.
                  Good stuff, I downloaded a guide from the NCEES website and have one from somehwere else already. Brushing up on the morning section and studying the afternoon section of my subject (Electrical).
                  Just trying to get this done in one go and not having to wait a whole semester to take it again

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                    Really? When'd you take the PE?
                    I'm just concerned how the questions are.... I read that some of the guides they sell are outdated and maybe 1-2 of the problems in there reflect the difficulty or level of questions on the FE
                    Been there. Get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Review-Manual-.../dp/1591263336 and work through the mock exam provided.

When I took it, it was 120 questions in the morning, 60 in the afternoon. 4 hours, each block.

My one piece of advice - follow the rules explicitly. I saw a dude dismissed on the spot because he didn't drop his pencil immediately when they called time. Grown man literally left in close to tears.

Comment

Working...
                    X