Originally posted by New England View Post
    chavez
    marquez
    olivares
    sanchez
    morales
    barrera
    lopez

lopez was a very good fighter. a great fighter. he was at a much smaller weight class than the others, though, where great fighters don't often fight and stick around for entire careers. frankly, at those weights, the fighters are not that good. once guys hit 118 lbs or so you start to see real athletic specimens regularly at the top.

there have been great athletes and fighters at 105/108, but they're few and far between. lopez could easily be higher on some people's lists than morales and barrera, depending on whether or not they discount his accomplishments based on the perennial weakness of his division

sanchez is also an odd case. he's got some big wins, but he died at 23, giving him an aura of invincibility. we have never seen him on the downside, the way we saw everybody else. his win over gomez is one of the biggest wins ever for a mexican fighter.

i'd really like to see marquez career end first. he just knocked out manny pacquiao. it's hard to rate that win at this stage. it just happened.

if manny takes a tune up fight and loses it will reduce the weight of marquez win. and if marquez goes on to get destroyed we'll know that it didn't take a great fighter to stop manny at the tail end of his career.
    X2, same for me. Quite a collection of fighters!

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
      Chavez
      Morales
      Barrera
      Olivares
      Marquez
      Lopez
      Sanchez
      Chavez
      Sanchez
      Marquez
      Lopez
      Morales
      Olivares
      Barrera

Comment

Oh man, I'm struggling with this one.

Chavez has to be first. No two ways about it. Marquez has now trumped Morales and Barrera for me. He literally has what I'd call the greatest Mexican win in boxing history, along with Sanchez/Gomez. I rate it just above that though. But, I cannot for the life of me decide about Sanchez and Olivares.

Hmmm, need to think more. Gonna have to come back though. Off to gig.

At the moment, I'll say:
        Chavez
        Olivares
        Marquez
        Morales
        Barrera
        Sanchez
        Lopez

Man, maybe Morales and Barrera above Sanchez. I think Sanchez would probably beat them both, maybe, but I think those two have deeper resumes and of course had long, greater careers. Ok! I'm changing it! Sanchez below those guys. Doesn't seem right with Sanchez down there. Wow....

Comment

What a reversal, everyone rating Morales over Barrera now

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
            What a reversal, everyone rating Morales over Barrera now
            I always have.

Comment

Barrera
              Chavez
              Lopez
              Marquez
              Morales
              Olivares
              Sanchez

Alphabetical order.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                Barrera
                Chavez
                Lopez
                Marquez
                Morales
                Olivares
                Sanchez

Alphabetical order.
                Might be the easiest way.

Comment

God this looks Brutal..... How the hell do i split these guys!? lol

I'll have a think on it and get back to you homie

Comment

I'd put Arizmendi in there over Lopez too. Two wins over Armstrong, beat Chalky Wright and LaBarba. Not as consistent but the gap between who beat who is a canyon.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                      I'd put Arizmendi in there over Lopez too. Two wins over Armstrong, beat Chalky Wright and LaBarba. Not as consistent but the gap between who beat who is a canyon.
                      I'd agree with you on that.

Lopez was very skilled (Although I think his skills are overrated) but in terms of greatness, he's very overrated.

Comment

Working...
                      X