No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes: “The Klitschko brothers aren’t carrying the sport."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Cobb would last with Wlad, you seen that guy? He's really, really, tough.
    He wouldn't make it 5 rounds with Vitali, was what I said. Wlad would probably stop him late.
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 01-08-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Deal With It- View Post
      Wlad has been KO'd by WORST fighters than Tex Cobb.

And Tex Cobb > 97% of the fat, talentless slobs & part-time golfers on Vitali's resume.

Vitali's top 5 wins are Tex Cobb caliber boxers.

That's pretty damn sad, bro.
      Hahaha. You're hilarious!

Face it JAB

Highly skilled, in-shape fighter Tex Cobb who went 15 rounds with ATG Larry Holmes:

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 01-08-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Jim View Post
        Of course the Klitschkos aren't "carrying in the division" in America. It's got nothing to do with their skill level or styles or anything like that. Anyone who thinks Americans generally are going to embrace two "Russian" (please don't ask an American to distinguish between a Russian and a Ukrainian) brothers as heavyweight champions, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

The cold war mentality is alive and well here, thanks. Americans can accept Manny Pacquiao as a "cute lil' Asian feller," but when it comes to two hulking "Russians," the Rocky movie jingoistic "USA USA" mentality kicks in.

The brothers are quite popular in the aforementioned Brooklyn, actually, and Wlad is thinking of fighting here in the new basketball arena later in the year. Why? Because south Brooklyn is heavily populated by Russian, Ukrainian, and Polish peoples, not "real Americans."

The Klitschkos are superstars in Germany and are doing fine in the rest of continental Europe, and the UK has been kinder to them since Wlad beat David Haye. They have mostly given up on the US market because of the factors I've already stated. As has been said many times, including by Larry Merchant, if they were named Wally and Vic and were from Montana, they'd be bigger than sliced bread in America, and any perceived flaws they may have would be overlooked. Two heavyweight champ American brothers? They'd be on magazine covers and TV shows all the time.

As for Larry Holmes, there's a good deal of jealousy involved in most of what he says these days. He's a bitter old man, it seems.

I'm sorry but that's a load of bull****, nobody gives a crap about the cold war anymore lmao. People in Russia may care but trust me, if you lived in America you'd know it's irrelevant here.

People LOVE to watch Pacquiao because he's EXCITING, he gives you highlight reel knockouts with an extremely entertaining fighting style, his punching speed is AMAZING, he's also fighting in an EXTREMELY competitive division filled with legit fighters. People don't like him just because he's Asian LMAO.

His popularity was also boosted greatly by him fighting and beating Mexican fighters (ESP. DLH), dude gained a HUGE following of Mex. fans thanks to that. As well as being the under dog and taking out guys that people thought would kill him! People love the under dog!

When will you Klit fans realize that Americans won't root for fighters simply because they're American? We don't have the same mentality that you guys do. You guys support anybody from your country regardless of how boring they are, hell David Hasselhoff is a damn celebrity in Germany and is a joke in the U.S lmao. The ONLY popular American is Mayweather and look at ALL the **** that he's had to do to become popular.

-46-0 I GUARANTEE you if that 0 wasn't there people wouldn't watch him
        -5x division world champ, won 7 world titles, lineal champ in 3 diff. weight classes
        -Did a huge promotional event with WWE
        -Gained MASSIVE popularity by having rapper 50 cent by his side, 50 introduced him to the youth of America as well, 50 is VERY famous in America
        -Took the role of the Villain and played it PERFECTLY, he is a master at hyping up fights with his trash talk, people want to see this guy lose.

Guys like Pirog, Bute, Ottke, Sturm ETC. make MILLIONS for fighting in Europe and these guys haven't fought ANYBODY! Bute's best win is over Johnson but the guy is pulling in millions, Pirog is also making millions. Ward only made around I think $900,000 for beating Froch! Meanwhile established fighters, top P4P fighters in America can't make crap if they aren't exciting.

Meanwhile guys like Bradley, Cloud, Ward, Quillin, Hopkins, Mike Jones, ETC.! are nothing in America. If these guys were European they'd be making millions per fight easily.

Wladimir is boring period, his style is not appealing at all, jab, jab, jab, lean on his opponent when they come on the inside, throw the right hand in like the 10th.

Vitali is exciting but aside from the Klits the HW division is **** making for 1 sided fights, fights that people know he's going to win. People want to see a brawl, a war, the last time that happened with Vitali was against Lewis.

You don't realize just how unpopular boxing is in America. The only time boxing is on TV is on ESPN's Friday night fights, you have to pay for HBO.

Just look at the UFC in America, it was nothing just a few years ago but once people started seeing those disgusting KO's it became a HUGE sport here. Extremely popular, it even rivals boxing's popularity which has been around for over a century.

Americans have a totally different mentality that people from Europe. They want to see action, rarely does anybody appreciate someone like Wlad's style. The only way you can really become popular in America is by being of Puerto Rican or Mexican descent while having an exciting style.

Comment

When Holmes was active..Leonard,Duran,Hagler,hearns..etc etc carried the sport

Comment

Originally posted by `STEELHEAD View Post
            great post Jedi Vader!
            Thanks Bro

Originally posted by Pirao View Post
            That is just an opinion, which is unsupported by facts BTW.

Damn, and I was even giving you the benefit of the doubt until I read this gem. Thanks for showing your true colours, hater
            It was opinion and not facts Bro.

Also, I'm not a hater of the Klits. I just don't like their style and I'm realistic to know that they're good in this era, not great. Also, the Klitlickers ruin it all for them with their shocking posts when facts say otherwise. The quotes on my sig are a perfect example of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
              Thanks Bro

It was opinion and not facts Bro.

Also, I'm not a hater of the Klits. I just don't like their style and I'm realistic to know that they're good in this era, not great. Also, the Klitlickers ruin it all for them with their shocking posts when facts say otherwise. The quotes on my sig are a perfect example of this.
              Ahhh, another "I like the Klitschkos, but...." type post. A dead giveaway used by you and your pal JAB and his alt(s).

That and the fact that nobody but K-Bros haters calls them "the Klits." With fans like you guys, the brothers don't need enemies.

Actually the K-Bros are definitely great in this era, because they've owned the heavyweight division for nearly a decade. That equals total domination and greatness beyond mere opinion.

You can argue the relative merits of other eras compared to this one, but those arguments are always biased to some degree no matter who is making them and are thus subjective.

What isn't subjective is the fact of the brothers' total domination of the division from 2005-2012.

And history will judge them by what they accomplished against the fighters put in front of them, not on the results of fantasy fights held in the biased minds of boxing history forum personalities.
              Last edited by Lucky Jim; 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Not a fan of the Heavyweight division

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Jim View Post
                  Ahhh, another "I like the Klitschkos, but...." type post. A dead giveaway used by you and your pal JAB and his alt(s).
                  Continued harassment of a mod is against forum rules. I've been steering clear of this thread but if you want to continue to bait me I'll be happy to jump in the fray and destroy you like I've always done.

Note to mods, I think lucky Jim needs a talking to.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Continued harassment of a mod is against forum rules. I've been steering clear of this thread but if you want to continue to bait me I'll be happy to jump in the fray and destroy you like I've always done.

Note to mods, I think lucky Jim needs a talking to.
                    Well, at least you now admit that the other identity I was addressing (Deal With It) actually IS you under an alt.

If it wasn't, there is no way I could have been what you characterize as "continually harrassing" you. And my, you seem awfully sensitive these days.

However if you want to get technical, I didn't say "JAB5239." I could have been referrring to another JAB on here, of which there are a few.

What you consider "bait" I consider to be the truth. So if you find the truth inconvenient, that's really unfortunate for you.
                    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
                      Not a fan of the Heavyweight division
                      I hear it's not too wild about you, either.

Comment

Working...
                      X