No announcement yet.

Vazquez Katsidis possible in Aus

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vazquez Katsidis possible in Aus

Two time world champion Michael Katsidis is one step closer to his dream of bringing a world title fight down under with his Manager/Trainer Brendon Smith today confirming that they have issued a challenge to Mexican world champion Miguel Vazquez. “The call was made last night to Vazquez’s people to let them know our intentions with the fight. Both camps know how good a fight this is,” Smith said.”

Vazquez is no stranger to big name fights as he won a split decision over Breidis Prescott (the only man to beat world champion Amir Khan) and more recently took the scalp of Australia’s own Lenny Zappavigna, but none of this worries Katsidis. “Kevin Mitchell also beat Breidis Prescott, and I KO’d him in three rounds,” Katsidis said. “This will be a huge fight for the Australian people, I would love nothing more than to bring a world class fighter like Vazquez to Australia. It will be great to repay the favour for beating my Aussie mate.”

This will be the first fight that Katsidis has had on Australian soil in close to five years, with the location of the bout still up in the air. Melbourne, Brisbane and Katsidis’ home town of Toowoomba have all been listed as possibilities with nothing confirmed – “We haven’t decided on a venue just yet, it’s great to know that we have more than one option at our fingertips, one thing we do know for sure is that if the fight goes ahead it will be not only broadcast throughout Australia, but across the USA, Mexico and Asia Pacific regions, as well,” Smith commented.

If the bout is confirmed Smith believes it will take place mid to late August, giving both fighters adequate time to prepare. With the challenge freshly issued, the Katsidis team believe it will only be a matter of days before they find out.

What happened with Vazquez-Barrera?

Comment

vazquez outclasses him.

Comment

This fight is actually good. Katsidis might have problems with Vazquez' skill but he's not going to be hurt the same way he was against Marquez or Guerrero. Prescott dropped Vazquez I think Katsidis can do it too.

Comment

Horrible fight for Kats.

Kats needs to fight someone who will stay in-front of him.

Miguel will win every round.

Comment

Working...
          X