No announcement yet.

I sparred a professional tomato can and I got whooped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sparred a pro boxer (retired) over here in Belgium: 22-26, 39 years old

I was doing pretty well untill the left hook to the body landed, and I was out

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
      I am sick of seeing stupid comments made by people who think they know it all as far as boxing is concerned and labeling 90% of boxers as bums or no good...
      Good post, man.

The truth is, anyone who's performed at a pro sport in any capacity is going to be well above the average participant in a given sport. A guy with minor league baseball experience would be the superstar of your softball league. A semi-pro football player would seem like an all-pro NFL star in your flag league. It's all relative. These men only seem like regular guys when they play/fight each other.

Comment

I got to spar with Ricky Hatton over a decade ago.

I was trying to be aggressive; he told me to "calm down or you're gonna get knocked out".

I listened.

Comment

Petey Quillin knocked out both my contact lenses

Comment

Remember with 10 ounce gloves and 12 rounds, they would kill you. Most here can't even punch a heavy bag for 12 rounds.

It's like forcing a F1 driver to stay in a standard Ford Focus and race some mid level pro's. It will be close ish a lap, but in the F1 car only the best can do it and the mid guys would crash.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              I got to spar with Ricky Hatton over a decade ago.

I was trying to be aggressive; he told me to "calm down or you're gonna get knocked out".

I listened.
              That sounded funny. LOL

Comment

Did you and Brandon Rios talk boxing at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  I have sparred a few pros but nobody special,,, Sparred George CArter Jr, years ago in galesburg, he is now an undefeated prospect and that is 10-0 now,,, Mostly alot of golden gloves champions, and other top amateurs from around the midwest,,,,, I never turned pro, so i dont have a whole lot of experience vs pros,,,,,, I had over 20 amateur fights and a bunch of exhibitions and smokers in the army,,,,,

Our gym produces alot of mma fighters that have gone into bellator, ufc, dream,,,
                  guys like derrick noble, dan hornbuckle, and kenny robertson,,, Those guys all have decent stand up ability, and can crack hard,,,,, all were bigger than me, but i liked sparring the toughest guys because it made me feel like i could handle whatever when i actually did fight,,,,,
                  Derrick Noble, early in my amateur career, cracked me with a body shot that felt like a gunshot,,,,, it was the first time i had been hit with that perfect body shot, much like macklin or virgil hill,,, or even barker,,, that shot hurts so bad,,, i really dont know how barker continued after geale landed that shot,,,,,,

Anyone that calls any pro fighter a bum is crazy,,, all these guys can fight,,,,
                  I generally use the term bum,, when talking about a guy with no-hope of winning,,
                  like i would call brusceles a bum for floyd,,, but in reality bruscles would be tough as hell to spar,,,,,
                  When I hear a death and a fight is dedicated to a lost one, I know something brings out the true grit. Barker must have did it for his brother in training, that extra 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                    In defense of the word " BUM" ... I know you been around enough to know that with in the Boxing world...(the real one) The word Bum is used quite frequently. Its meaning is all based on how its presented and by who.
                    A guy who never laced up in his life has no purpose calling a real bum fighter an bum! lol. If he were to spar with a (bum) hed get his as handed to him in first minute.
                    Bum can be used and is used in reference to under achievers and over hyped fighter. Its not used to be so sensitive. Its a well known word in Boxing used by even top elite fighters.
                    You are 100% right, what I should have said is when fans call decent, avg fighters bums. That's not right and not used in proper context.

It's when people constantly call Bert a Bum....ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by RacistKiller View Post
                      When I hear a death and a fight is dedicated to a lost one, I know something brings out the true grit. Barker must have did it for his brother in training, that extra 10%.
                      hell yea, especially after seeing the placement of the shot on the replay. Thought he might have been trying to milk a low-blow but not at all, great punch

Comment

Working...
                      X