No announcement yet.

david carradine found dead in thailand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david carradine found dead in thailand

sad news, he did his part to make martial arts popular in america back in the 70's.

R I P
    He is immortalized on Kung Fu

Comment

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060400936.html

"Kung Fu" actor Carradine found hanged in Thai hotel

BANGKOK/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s U.S. television show "Kung Fu," was found naked and hanging dead from a rope in the closet of his luxury Bangkok hotel room Thursday, Thai police said. No signs were found of other people in the room and the body of the 72-year-old actor was sent to a hospital for an autopsy, police said. Results are expected on Friday.

Edie Falco: from mobster wife to pill-popping nurse

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Edie Falco's latest career turn offers a lesson in how to follow up one of the most successful dramas on American television: Take a two-year break from the small screen, cut your hair, scrub off the make-up, get rid of the long, mobster's wife fingernails and return to TV as a strong-willed, pill-popping nurse whose mantra is "I don't do chatty."
      ad_icon

"Billy Elliot" set to win big at Tony Awards

NEW YORK (Reuters) - "Billy Elliot The Musical" is likely to dance away with a haul of Tony Awards, critics say, when the top U.S. theater honors are announced on Sunday for a Broadway season that defied recession with record sales. In the running for 15 Tony Awards, "Billy Elliot" is based on Oscar-nominated director Stephen Daldry's 2000 film about a ballet dancing schoolboy in a mining town in northern England. The show has already won 10 Drama Desk Awards and seven Outer Critics Circle Awards.

Guns and drugs? Some rappers inflate hustler image

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Rick Ross sold hit albums rapping about selling crack cocaine but a revelation that he once worked as a prison guard threatened to end his career. For a rapper cultivating a bad-boy image, a uniform put him on the wrong side of the law.

Whitney Houston to release comeback album this fall

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pop diva Whitney Houston will release a new album in September, her first in seven years, Arista Records said on Thursday, announcing the long-awaited comeback for the talented but troubled star. Since her career kicked off in 1985 with her self-titled debut, Houston has sold more than 170 million records, singles and videos around the world. Houston, 45, is one of music's most decorated female artists, with more than 400 awards.

Eminem admits Bruno encounter was a stunt

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Eminem has come clean, saying that he knew what was in store when bare-buttocked comedian Sacha Baron Cohen crash-landed on him at the MTV Movie Awards television broadcast Sunday. Eminem stormed out of the awards ceremony after Baron Cohen, in the role of the main character from his new movie, "Bruno," landed on his lap after a flying mishap, leaving the audience wondering if the rapper really was furious or if it was a stunt.

Obama urges laggards get ready for digital TV

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama warned Americans on Thursday who have not prepared for the June 12 transition to digital television that their TVs could go dark if they do not get a converter box soon. "I want to be clear: there will not be another delay. I urge everyone who is not yet prepared to act today, so you don't lose important news and emergency information on June 12," Obama said in a statement.

Obama, in another first, named "power" celebrity

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama is the first sitting head of state to make the Forbes Celebrity 100 Power List, with his many magazine covers and best-selling books blurring the line between politics and celebrity. The president came in at No. 49 on the annual list released on Wednesday -- which ranks celebrities based on their earnings and mentions in the media -- after he made $2.5 million last year from his two best-selling books.

Obama-fueled NBC wins Tuesday ratings

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - NBC won Tuesday night's ratings race with a varied range of programing that sparked conversation both on and off the air. The network opened with its second episode of "I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!" (5.5 million viewers), falling 15 percent from Monday's premiere. The reality competition's story line made headlines as contestants Heidi and Spencer Pratt of MTV's "The Hills" fame seemingly mulled whether to quit the show.

Dave Matthews Band expected to top album chart

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Dave Matthews Band will likely bow at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart next week with "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King," which industry prognosticators are suggesting could sell as many as 390,000 copies in its first week. If it debuts at No. 1, the RCA release will be the band's fifth straight studio album to do so.

Comment

I didn't notice all the other snippets in the post, but you guys could use some non-MMA news anyways lol.

Comment

Auto-erotic asphyxiation perhaps?

Anyway, R.I.P

Comment

david was, as much as i know from documentaries, never really a practicing martial artist. i dont believe he could fight with anything he knew.

but, i did used to watch Kung Fu and Kung Fu the Legend Continues. well, u know, there is not a lot of chinese boxing themed shows here in the west.

and he wasnt that bad of an actor. a little monotoned though.

anyways, RIP david.

Comment

Originally posted by Oasis_Lad View Post
              Auto-erotic asphyxiation perhaps?

Anyway, R.I.P
              That just reminded me of this crazy '30s Japanese prostitute:

Sada Abe (阿部 定, Abe Sada?, 28 May 1905 – after 1970) is remembered in Japan for erotically asphyxiating her lover, Kichizo Ishida (石田 吉蔵, Ishida Kichizō?), on May 18, 1936, and then cutting off his penis and testicles and carrying them around with her in her handbag. The story became a national sensation in Japan, acquiring mythical overtones, and has since been interpreted by artists, philosophers, novelists and filmmakers.[4]

In mid-April, Ishida and Abe initiated their sexual relationship in the restaurant, to the accompaniment of a romantic ballad sung by one of the restaurant's geishas. On April 23, 1936 Abe and Ishida met for a pre-arranged sexual encounter at a teahouse, or machiai – the contemporary equivalent of a love hotel[28] – in the Shibuya neighborhood. Planning only a short 'fling', the couple remained in bed for four days. On the night of April 27, 1936, they moved to another teahouse in the distant neighborhood of Futako Tamagawa. Here they continued to drink and have sex, sometimes with the accompaniment of a geisha's singing. They would continue even as maids entered the room to serve sake.[29] They next moved their marathon love-making bout to the Ogu neighborhood. Ishida did not return to the restaurant until the morning of May 8, 1936.[30] Of Ishida, Abe later said, "It is hard to say exactly what was so good about Ishida. But it was impossible to say anything bad about his looks, his attitude, his skill as a lover, the way he expressed his feelings. I had never met such a sexy man."[31]
              Last edited by Drunken Cat; 06-04-2009, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Organik View Post
                Feckin' 'ell! That's put me off long-term relationships for life.

Comment

After they separated, Abe became agitated and began drinking excessively. She claimed that with Ishida she knew love for the first time in her life, and the thought that Ishida was back with his wife made her jealous. Over a week before the murder, Abe began considering the act. On May 9, 1936 she attended a play in which a geisha attacks her lover with a large knife. After seeing this, Abe decided to threaten Ishida with a knife at their next meeting. On May 11, 1936, she pawned some of her clothing and used the money to buy some sushi and a kitchen knife. Abe later described meeting Ishida that night, "I pulled the kitchen knife out of my bag and threatened him as had been done in the play I had seen, saying, 'Kichi, you wore that kimono just to please one of your favorite customers. You bastard, I'll kill you for that.' Ishida was startled and drew away a little, but he seemed delighted with it all..."[32]

The "Abe Sada Incident"
                  Site of the "Abe Sada Incident"

Ishida and Abe returned to Ogu, where they remained until his death. During their love-making this time, Abe put the knife to the base of Ishida's penis, and said she would make sure he would never play around with another woman. Ishida laughed at this. Two nights into this bout of sex, Abe began choking Ishida, and he told her to continue, saying that this increased his pleasure. She had him do it to her as well. On the evening of May 16, 1936, Abe used her obi sash to cut off Ishida's breathing during orgasm, and they both enjoyed it. They repeated this for two more hours. Once Abe stopped the strangulation, Ishida's face became distorted, and would not return to its normal appearance. Ishida took 30 tablets of a sedative called Calmotin to try to soothe his pain. According to Abe, as Ishida started to doze, he told her, "You'll put the cord around my neck and squeeze it again while I'm sleeping, won't you... If you start to strangle me, don't stop, because it is so painful afterward." Abe commented that she wondered if he had wanted her to kill him, but on reflection decided he must have been joking.[33]

About 2 a.m. on the morning of May 18, 1936, as Ishida was asleep, Abe wrapped her sash twice around his neck and strangled him to death. She later told police, "After I had killed Ishida I felt totally at ease, as though a heavy burden had been lifted from my shoulders, and I felt a sense of clarity." After lying with Ishida's body for a few hours, she next severed his genitalia with the kitchen knife, wrapped them in a magazine cover, and kept them until her arrest three days later.[9][34] With the blood, she wrote, Sada, Kichi Futari-kiri ("Sada, Kichi together") on Ishida's left thigh, and on a bed sheet. She then carved 定 ("Sada", the character for her name) into his left arm. After putting on Ishida's underwear, she left the inn at about 8 a.m., telling the staff not to disturb Ishida.[35] When asked why she had severed Ishida's genitalia, Abe replied, "Because I couldn't take his head or body with me. I wanted to take the part of him that brought back to me the most vivid memories."[36]

After leaving the inn, Abe met Goro Omiya. She repeatedly apologized to him, but Omiya, unaware of the murder, assumed that she was apologizing for having taken another lover. Abe's apologies were for the damage to his political career that she knew his association with her was bound to cause. On May 19, 1936, the newspapers picked up the story. Omiya's career was ruined, and Abe's life was under intense public scrutiny from that point onwards.[37]

Abe Sada panic

The story immediately became a national sensation, and the ensuing frenzy over her search was called "Abe Sada panic".[9] Police received reports of sightings of Abe from various cities, and one false sighting nearly caused a stampede in the Ginza, resulting in a large traffic jam.[26] In a reference to the recent failed coup in Tokyo, the Ni Ni-Roku Incident ("2-26" or "February 26"), the crime was satirically dubbed the "Go Ichi-Hachi" Incident ("5-18" or "May 18").[28]

On May 19, 1936, Abe went shopping and saw a movie. She stayed in an inn in Shinagawa on May 20, 1936, where she had a massage and drank three bottles of beer. She spent the day writing farewell letters to Omiya, a friend, and Ishida.[35] She planned to commit suicide one week after the murder, and practiced Necrophilia. "I felt attached to Ishida's penis and thought that only after taking leave from it quietly could I then die. I unwrapped the paper holding them and gazed at his penis and scrotum. I put his penis in my mouth and even tried to insert it inside me... Then, I decided that I would flee to Osaka, staying with Ishida's penis all the while. In the end, I would jump from a cliff on Mount Ikoma while holding on to his penis."[38]

At 4:00 in the afternoon, police detectives, suspicious of the alias under which Abe had registered, came to her room. "Don't be so formal," she told them, "You're looking for Sada Abe, right? Well that's me. I am Sada Abe." When the police were not convinced, she displayed Ishida's genitalia as proof.[39]

Abe was arrested and interrogated over eight sessions.[16] The interrogating officer was struck by Abe's demeanor when asked why she had killed Ishida. "Immediately she became excited and her eyes sparkled in a strange way."[40] Her answer was: "I loved him so much, I wanted him all to myself. But since we were not husband and wife, as long as he lived he could be embraced by other women. I knew that if I killed him no other woman could ever touch him again, so I killed him....."[2] In attempting to explain what distinguished Abe's case from over a dozen other similar cases in Japan,[41] William Johnston suggests that it is this answer which captured the imagination of the nation. "She had killed not out of jealousy but out of love."[42] Mark Schreiber notes that the Sada Abe incident occurred at a time when the Japanese media were preoccupied with extreme political and military troubles, including the Ni Ni Roku incident and a looming full-scale war in China. He suggests that a sensationalistic sex scandal such as this served as a welcome national release from the disturbing events of the time.[28] The incident also struck a chord with the ero-guro-nansensu ("erotic-grotesque-nonsense") style popular at the time, and the Sada Abe Incident came to represent that genre for years to come.[43]

When the details of the crime were made public, rumors began to circulate that Ishida's penis was of an extraordinary size. However, the police officer who interrogated Abe after her arrest denied this, saying, "Ishida's was just average. [Abe] told me, 'Size doesn't make a man in bed. Technique and his desire to please me were what I liked about Ishida.'"[40] After her arrest, Ishida's penis and testicles were moved to Tokyo University Medical School's pathology museum. They were put on public display not long after the end of World War II, but they have since disappeared.[9][44]

[edit] Conviction and sentencing

The first day of Abe's trial was November 25, 1936, and by 5 a.m. crowds were already gathering to attend.[2] The presiding judge over the trial admitted to being sexually aroused by some of the details involved in the case, yet made sure that the trial was held with the utmost seriousness.[9] Abe's statement before receiving sentencing began, "The thing I regret most about this incident is that I have come to be misunderstood as some kind of sexual pervert... There had never been a man in my life like Ishida. There were men I liked, and with whom I slept without accepting money, but none made me feel the way I did toward him."[45]

On December 21, 1936 Abe was convicted of murder in the second degree and mutilation of a corpse. Though the prosecution demanded ten years, and Abe claimed that she desired the death penalty, she was in fact sentenced to just six years in prison.[2] She was confined in Tochigi women's penitentiary, where she was prisoner No.11.[46] Abe's sentence was commuted on November 10, 1940, on the occasion of the 2,600th anniversary celebrations of the mythical founding of Japan, when Emperor Jimmu came to the throne.[47] She was released, exactly five years after the murder, on May 17, 1941.[46]

The police record of Abe's interrogation and confession became a national best-seller in 1936. Christine L. Marran puts the national fascination with Abe's story within the context of the dokufu or "poison woman" stereotype, a transgressive female character type which had first become popular in Japanese serialized novels and stage works in the 1870s.[48] In the wake of the popular "poison woman" literature, confessional autobiographies by female criminals had begun appearing in the late 1890s.[49] By the early 1910s, autobiographical writings by criminal women took on an unapologetic tone and sometimes included criticisms of Japan and Japanese society. Kanno Suga, who was hanged in 1911 for conspiring to assassinate Emperor Meiji in what was known as the High Treason Incident, wrote openly rebellious essays while in prison.[50] Fumiko Kaneko, who was sentenced to death for plotting to bomb the imperial family, used her notoriety to speak against the imperial system and the racism and paternalism which she said it engendered.[51] Abe's confession, in the years since its appearance, became the most circulated female criminal narrative in Japan. Marran points out that Abe, unlike previous criminal autobiographers, stressed her sexuality and the love she felt for her victim.[52]
                  Wiki page

Comment

Originally posted by Organik View Post
                    wow! awesome story! maybe some influence on takashi miike's Audition? hmmmm. makes ya think though.

Comment

Working...
                    X