No announcement yet.

I want to ask the experts of the History Section a very important Question:

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to ask the experts of the History Section a very important Question:

I been following the sport of boxing since 20 years. And I have watched a lot of fights, I mean REALLY a lot of fights in those 20 years, basically I studied boxing history. And after the Mayweather-Cotto fight, I was kinda shocked that most people in the nonstop trolling section here on boxingscene said that Floyd won the fight. And I was shocked cause there is no way in the world Mayweather won this fight. It was a close fight, no doubt, but the commentary of HBO was horrendous, and on my scorecard Cotto won this fight.
    And since I know the nonstop boxing section is filled with trolls and kids who just started watching boxing, and who can easily be influenced by totally biased commentary, I dont really care what these guys say.
    But some guys in the history section actually really do know the sport of boxing, and I care about their opinion. They are the only reason I still post on this site. And I want to ask the real boxing historians: Did Mayweather win the Cotto fight in your opinion?
    Cause in my opinion, he clearly didn't.

I'm terribly sorry to disappoint you, but I only saw that fight as a clear win for Mayweather.

I'm nobodies nuthugger, but thought that Mayweather boxed superbly. He did lose a few rounds to Cotto, who applied some good pressure and Cotto did much better than any of Floyd's recent opponents. But he didn't come close to a win by any stretch of the mind. Which rounds do you felt Cotto won?

The closest I ever saw Mayweather come to losing was when he met De La Hoya. That night I felt that Mayweather's workrate was a bit low. The split decision win was a fair decision.

Comment

Originally posted by BRITISH LlON View Post
      I been following the sport of boxing since 20 years. And I have watched a lot of fights, I mean REALLY a lot of fights in those 20 years, basically I studied boxing history. And after the Mayweather-Cotto fight, I was kinda shocked that most people in the nonstop trolling section here on boxingscene said that Floyd won the fight. And I was shocked cause there is no way in the world Mayweather won this fight. It was a close fight, no doubt, but the commentary of HBO was horrendous, and on my scorecard Cotto won this fight.
      And since I know the nonstop boxing section is filled with trolls and kids who just started watching boxing, and who can easily be influenced by totally biased commentary, I dont really care what these guys say.
      But some guys in the history section actually really do know the sport of boxing, and I care about their opinion. They are the only reason I still post on this site. And I want to ask the real boxing historians: Did Mayweather win the Cotto fight in your opinion?
      Cause in my opinion, he clearly didn't.
      Cotto fought as well as he could, and better than most people might have expected. But he was nowhere close to winning imo. 5-7 is a close loss. 4-8 is a competitive loss. 3-9 is a clear loss where you had some moments here and there. Anything less is pretty much a blowout. I can't recall my exact score, but I think I had Cotto losing 9-3. I don't even think you can give Cotto 7 rds for a victory if you try to, giving him any rds that weren't a wash against him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        I'm terribly sorry to disappoint you, but I only saw that fight as a clear win for Mayweather.

I'm nobodies nuthugger, but thought that Mayweather boxed superbly. He did lose a few rounds to Cotto, who applied some good pressure and Cotto did much better than any of Floyd's recent opponents. But he didn't come close to a win by any stretch of the mind. Which rounds do you felt Cotto won?

The closest I ever saw Mayweather come to losing was when he met De La Hoya. That night I felt that Mayweather's workrate was a bit low. The split decision win was a fair decision.
        the Mayweather-DLH fight was imo a clear 8 rounds to 4 win for Mayweather.
        I dont have my Cotto-Mayweather scorecard anymore, but I know I scored it 6 rounds to 4 for Cotto with 2 rounds even. I remember for sure I gave Cotto rounds 2,3, 6 and 8 and I guess 9 and 10. I scored the 5th and the 11th a draw if I remember right, and Mayweather won the rest.
        Cotto landed hard jabs and bodyshots all night long and blocked most of Floyd's punches. Cotto also came forward the whole time. I really dont see how anybody can give Floyd more than 5 rounds.
        But I understand if somebody listens to the HBO guys who said after 4 rounds "Floyd clearly won those 4 rounds", then you might believe that cr*p.

Comment

I think I had it 8-4 for Mayweather, 7-5 for Mayweather if I was being a tad generous to Cotto. Cotto certainly didn't win if that's what you're asking.

Poet

Comment

I watched the fight live on a stream at first, and the quality was poor, it was hard to see whether Cotto's punches were landing or not, so the fight looked close to me.

Upon rewatching the fight in HD, I can say Cotto's aggression wasn't very effective for the most part. I think I gave Cotto 4 rounds.

Comment

8-4 Mayweather.

Cotto didn't finish strong enough in the championship rounds.

Comment

I had it 10-2 to Mayweather.

Comment

I really, really wanted Cotto to win. But he didn't, and I can't even make a reasonable case saying otherwise. To me the only debatable decision Mayweather ever won was the first Castillo fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BRITISH LlON View Post
                    the Mayweather-DLH fight was imo a clear 8 rounds to 4 win for Mayweather.
                    I dont have my Cotto-Mayweather scorecard anymore, but I know I scored it 6 rounds to 4 for Cotto with 2 rounds even. I remember for sure I gave Cotto rounds 2,3, 6 and 8 and I guess 9 and 10. I scored the 5th and the 11th a draw if I remember right, and Mayweather won the rest.
                    Cotto landed hard jabs and bodyshots all night long and blocked most of Floyd's punches. Cotto also came forward the whole time. I really dont see how anybody can give Floyd more than 5 rounds.
                    But I understand if somebody listens to the HBO guys who said after 4 rounds "Floyd clearly won those 4 rounds", then you might believe that cr*p.
                    I had the British commentary. I didn't think it was a close fight, just a beautiful display by Mayweather against a very good Cotto.

Comment

Working...
                    X