Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greater win: Marquez-pacquaio IV or Hopkins-trinidad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marquez's win was clearly better.

Hopkins should have been heavily favoured over Trinidad. The odds sometimes reflect popularity over reality

Comment

Both were great wins in their own dimension, time and place. Why the need to compare them?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        Marquez's win was clearly better.

Hopkins should have been heavily favoured over Trinidad. The odds sometimes reflect popularity over reality
        Same thing could be said of the Marquez-Pac fights.

I do think the Marquez win was better just due to the ending. Tito was stopped but not like that.

But its true, Tito wasnt proven at MW and B Hops lack of popularity makes the Tito win seem less significant than it was. People wont appreciate B hop till hes gone!

Comment

Bernard has other great wins...the JMM win is like the only big win of his career

Comment

Clearly Marquez .... I knew Hopkins was going to win. Nobody thought that Marquez would have won like that.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
              The Hopkins win was more impressive because nobody picked him to beat tito. Tito was undefeated and had the home field advantage fighting at MSG. Hopkins is the only person too ever knock him out

Marquez beat pacquiao, but that was considered a 50/50 fight. based on the previous 3 fights. Marquez got the knockout but pacquiao has been stopped before.
              This is exactly how I feel...

Most of the posters choosing jmm-manny weren't even watching boxing when Hopkins dismantled Tito...

Tito was on a bigger terror than manny was

40-0
              20-0 in title fights
              34 kos
              Knocked down 7 times and rose and ko'd the other guy
              Destroyed Vargas, Reid, Joppy
              Made oscar run
              Blew away everyone,,, best puncher of his era

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

Most of the posters choosing jmm-manny weren't even watching boxing when Hopkins dismantled Tito...

40-0
                20-0 in title fights
                34 kos
                Made oscar run
                Exactly. Just listen to the commentary in that fight. Foreman refused to accept the fact that Tito was actually losing. It was a stunningly one-sided fight. Let's be real for a second. Pacquiao hadn't looked impressive since Margarito, who was just a punching bag with no confidence by that point. Tito had just obliterated Joppy for a title, proving that his power came with him to 160.

I would even add Tarver-Jones 2 and Forrest-Mosley I to that list. Another set of huge wins over P4P stalwarts.
                Last edited by RespekonMyName; 01-22-2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

40-0
                  20-0 in title fights
                  34 kos
                  Made oscar run
                  Tito was fighting at WW for like forever then decided to go up to JMW the year before then tried MW. So if you are just looking at Tito's record, it would be deceiving.

He won against Joppy but that is the fight where I said that if Tito tries to fight Hopkins, it would be too much for him. Hopkins, who lived at MW, was going to be too big and durable for Tito. Hopkins trained and took care of himself all year round but could have easily fought at 168.

Comment

Hopkins- Trinidad wasn't that impressive once we found out about Cheato Triniwraps.

Comment

40-0
                      20-0 in title fights
                      34 kos
                      Made oscar run
                      True, but Tito was also outboxed by DLH when they fought. Tito was my favorite boxer back then but I knew he would have trouble facing a guy like Hopkins. It doesn't matter who the favorite was at the time, Hopkins was all wrong for Tito. On the other hand, I would argue that JMM and Manny are stylistically bad for each other.

I'm not trying to knock BHop at all though. It was a great win.

Comment

Working...
                      X