Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maidana Admits Mikey Garcia gave him tough sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringer nailed it. If Maidana had already gone rounds with a couple of sparring partners then of course a fresh Mikey Garcia can come in and give him some trouble.

Comment

That was the most telling part of the episode and what really stuck out. He looked discontent with what happened in that round.

Comment

this just means Mikey is ready for PAC

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
          this just means Mikey is ready for PAC

Very possible if the rumors of Pac dropping down to 140 are true.

Comment

a lot of people are going to give a statue trouble, no offense

Comment

Originally posted by Radical View Post
              a lot of people are going to give a statue trouble, no offense

Coming from a guy with Gatti in his avatar, no offence

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
                Pretty sure it had much more to do with the fact that he was likely exhausted by that point (he sparred other people prior to Mikey, check that f*g Elie's videos) than the fact that he couldn't handle Garcia.
                Exactly, they were talking about stamina after a long day of work.

Comment

after sparring with previous partners, a fresh mikey garcia would be a tough session for anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    I think it's because people sleep on how good Mikey is. The dude is a really good boxer and excellent counter puncher. His command of distance is second to only Mayweather in boxing and I'm not exaggerating.

We need to understand though, sparring is not a pro fight. You do things in sparring, you would never do in a pro fight. Mikey is good, but if he fought Maidana with 8oz gloves, and no head gear, he would run a big risk of getting knocked out cold.

Maidana has the equalizer, the power. I'm not saying he will beat Mayweather because he won't, but I'm not surprised that in sparring Mikey might of gotten the best of him. Sparring with big gloves and head gear benefits the boxer over the puncher.

rigndeaux is a better ring general than garcia for sure. i'd say that andre ward is as well. garcia gets himself into trouble, and those guys really don't. rigondeaux gets hurt once in a while, i suppose.

W klitchko used to be a supreme ring general, but his legs don't look to be what they used to be. he makes up for it with holding and leaning. 250 lbs from 6.5 feet in the air. his brother was also a hugely underrated ring general, probably because he was so tall and had such long arms.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                      Yes, you're right. I was being too consevative. If Garcia was 141 for the Juanma fight after just weighting in @ 128 the night before, he must be walking around in the 150-160 range. The weight game is a joke. I've heard more than once and agree that weigh-ins should be the morning of the fight. This way fighters would have to fight in classes closer to their natural weight. Instead, they weigh-in at a lighter weight the day before, then re-hydrate to a much heavier weight on fight night with a size/strength advantage.
                      http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-weight-limits

i think they do it to get people into vegas for an extra night. a night in vegas is expensive

Comment

Working...
                      X