Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont most of the really hard hitters avoid using the straight right?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why dont most of the really hard hitters avoid using the straight right?

Earnie Shavers

Jack Dempsey

Julian Jackson

George Foreman

Mike Tyson

Tua

Bowe

Ruddock

Marciano

Tommy Morrison

Gerry Cooney

etc

Nearly all the hardest punchers ever avoid the straight right like the plague.

What the hell is going on here?
    Last edited by AlexKid; 08-20-2013, 03:57 PM.

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Earnie Shavers

Jack Dempsey

Julian Jackson

George Foreman

Mike Tyson

Tua

Bowe

Ruddock

Marciano

Tommy Morrison

Gerry Cooney

etc

All I can add is to cite Freddie Roach, who said something like if had a choice, he would exchange his straight right hand with the left hook. The reason being it is shorter and harder to notice.

My opinion: Hearns, MacCLellan had insane straight right and similar body type: lean and tall. BTW, Hopkins has also a decent right hand. Tyson, Tua, Marciano were short guys, so fighting inside was more preferred for them. Foreman was just a monster anyway, looks like nobody bothered to teach him proper punching technique, since his swings worked well anyway. I do not consider Morrison a hard hitter, he had a decent left hook though. Dempsey could bang with any punch, but since he fought many taller guys, I guess he also preferred inside fighting. Jillian Jackson is a mystery to me in this regard, maybe, same to Foreman case, he relied too much on given stuff and did not bother developing himself into all-rounded fighter. No opinion on Cooney and Bowe.

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
      All I can add is to cite Freddie Roach, who said something like if had a choice, he would exchange his straight right hand with the left hook. The reason being it is shorter and harder to notice.

My opinion: Hearns, MacCLellan had insane straight right and similar body type: lean and tall. BTW, Hopkins has also a decent right hand. Tyson, Tua, Marciano were short guys, so fighting inside was more preferred for them. Foreman was just a monster anyway, looks like nobody bothered to teach him proper punching technique, since his swings worked well anyway. I do not consider Morrison a hard hitter, he had a decent left hook though. Dempsey could bang with any punch, but since he fought many taller guys, I guess he also preferred inside fighting. Jillian Jackson is a mystery to me in this regard, maybe, same to Foreman case, he relied too much on given stuff and did not bother developing himself into all-rounded fighter. No opinion on Cooney and Bowe.
      Thanks mate I always appreciate your excellent answers!

Comment

In my opinion, hooks/uppercuts just have a more "aggressive" feel.

I remember my first couple times on the heavy bag, I just wanted to go all Mike Tyson on the ****.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          Earnie Shavers

Jack Dempsey

Julian Jackson

George Foreman

Mike Tyson

Tua

Bowe

Ruddock

Marciano

Tommy Morrison

Gerry Cooney

etc

More force in an over hand punch is my guess they Prbly got more tourqe and leverage into it ever seen shavers throw his over hand right he even got his sweat into that thing.

As for Tyson he had short arms same with Marciano

Prbly had to do with comfort level also ever fighter has there go to punch or best punch that they know they can land almost at will for some it's the jab for others it's the right hand all the guys listed like to bang to tho so in close range it's better to throw it takes extension to throw a straight right you can't be right in some one to get its full power but there are big power guys who had great right hands wald hearns PAC pavlik Hopkins Trinidad had a good right hand jones I think Julian Jackson knocked out herol graham with a straight right hand so it's preference really IMO

Comment

Working...
          X