Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavyweight Rankings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, 3 is a bit high. But I'd say that Holyfield probably still justifies a top ten position at heavyweight.

I wouldn't rate him as high as the likes of Ali, Louis, Holmes or Foreman......but at heavyweight he has a very good argument to be considered alongside such names as Frazier, Liston, Dempsey, Tunney, Johnson, Marciano or Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Fighters on their way up are often understandably overrated, but I've never seen a veteran fighter suddenly become so ridiculously overrated like Holyfield did after beating Tyson.

Clearly those behind the ranking list in Ring Magazine bought into the myth that the Tyson who steam rollered Bruno and Seldon was as good as he ever was in the late 80s.

These were no doubt the same people who thought that 1996 Holyfield was a walking corpse with a dicky heart who could be killed in the first round by Tyson!

That said, it is amazing that Holyfield is still campaigning for a title shot even now!! This morning I watched the return match with Riddick Bowe in 1993.....and even then the commentators Reg Gutteridge and Jim Watt were saying that Holyfield was post prime and not what he once was (and that was 18 years ago!!!).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Fighters on their way up are often understandably overrated, but I've never seen a veteran fighter suddenly become so ridiculously overrated like Holyfield did after beating Tyson.

You're right. Even though I loved seeing Evander beat Tyson's ass....it didn't suddenly make me forget that he had also lost to Moorer and twice to Bowe not too long before that.

As for how long he's been fighting-

It's close to 27 years to the day of his pro debut. And when you take into consideration some of the incredible wars he's been in.....

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          You're right. Even though I loved seeing Evander beat Tyson's ass....it didn't suddenly make me forget that he had also lost to Moorer and twice to Bowe not too long before that.

As for how long he's been fighting-

It's close to 27 years to the day of his pro debut. And when you take into consideration some of the incredible wars he's been in.....

I suppose the Tyson victory was seen as vindication for Holyfield fans.

Evander of course argued that his heart complaint was responsible for his sluggish performance against Moorer and that he had fought Bowe the third time with flu. To be fair, there did seem to be something wrong with him in both those fights.........

Comment

Tyson has always been underrated in the heavyweight rankings, that the likes of Liston, Walcott and Tunney were even rank higher by boxing historians, they only look at Tyson in the 90s, but not the peak Tyson in '86-'88, Liston and the late great Smokin Joe Frazier would definitely beat the Tyson post-prison era, but the Tyson under Kevin Rooney would be a pick'em fight vs Liston and Frazier.

On the other hand, rankings highly favored Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey, no disrespect but boxing was fought differently in their time.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
              Tyson has always been underrated in the heavyweight rankings, that the likes of Liston, Walcott and Tunney were even rank higher by boxing historians, they only look at Tyson in the 90s, but not the peak Tyson in '86-'88, Liston and the late great Smokin Joe Frazier would definitely beat the Tyson post-prison era, but the Tyson under Kevin Rooney would be a pick'em fight vs Liston and Frazier.

On the other hand, rankings highly favored Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey, no disrespect but boxing was fought differently in their time.
              I also agree Mike Tysons is quite under-rated these days. I think he deserves a Top 10 Spot. Despite it being a relativley weak era, he still won the Undisputed HW Champ at the youngest age in history. Then fired through 9 defences of his Undisputed Crown.

Rocky was in a weak era also and made 4 defences, against slightly better competition. Same story with Liston, Tyson shouldn't be far away from both Rocky or Liston IMO.

They all lack the signature win like Ali vs Foreman/Liston etc. Or amazing consistency like Joe Louis.

Comment

There's a backlash against how overrated Tyson was during his career- overrated especially by those who weren't quite hardcore followers of the game. I know I was so annoyed by it all that I began underrating Tyson's career. Now, I've come down off of that high-horse and rate Tyson where he belongs....in the second half of the top ten.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  There's a backlash against how overrated Tyson was during his career- overrated especially by those who weren't quite hardcore followers of the game. I know I was so annoyed by it all that I began underrating Tyson's career. Now, I've come down off of that high-horse and rate Tyson where he belongs....in the second half of the top ten.
                  I agree that is reasonable positioning for Tyson.

Comment

In an ATG heavyweight prime for prime head to head list I'd have Tyson in a top 10 spot, possibly top 5.

I don't think that anyone in history has an easy time in a 12 round fight with prime Tyson.

I've got a feeling that in decades to come we'll see Mike Tyson receive more recognition as a heavyweight ATG, he seems to have a fair few haters at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                      I've got a feeling that in decades to come we'll see Mike Tyson receive more recognition as a heavyweight ATG, he seems to have a fair few haters at the moment.

I totally agree....and this will especially be the case should the division continue its spiral beneath the sewers of boxing history.

Comment

Working...
                      X