No announcement yet.

Why didn't Whitaker fight Pazienza?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Whitaker fight Pazienza?

Why didn't Whitaker fight Pazienza back in 1987, when Pazienza had the IBF lightweight title? It would have been an easy win for Sweet Pea. He would have made Pazienza look foolish.

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Why didn't Whitaker fight Pazienza back in 1987, when Pazienza had the IBF lightweight title? It would have been an easy win for Sweet Pea. He would have made Pazienza look foolish.
    I'm guessing without researching, but I think both of them were with Main Event Promotions then. The promoters probably didn't want to drop one of their titles, and there was zero demand for that fight for the reasons you listed.

Comment

Pazienza's win over Haugen was controversial and a rematch was first. I imagine Vinny would have rather have taken an easier title defense than Haugen against one of the other contenders. When Pazienza beat Haugen, Whitaker was only 12-0. Whitaker might have still beat Paz but he needed more seasoning.
      What Scott said was probably true as well. The Duva's didn't often match their fighters against each other. Which is why Meldrick never got in the ring with Pernell.

Comment

Whitacker would have certainly beaten Paz but I imagine their fight would be surprisingly exciting...

Vinny may have been outgunned but he had an incredible motor...He would've pressed Pernell the ENTIRE fight making for some interesting exchanges & alotta action...

Pazienza would have brought out the best in Pernell...Not necessarily in the competitive sense, but rather from the standpoint that their contrasting styles, overall demeanor & positive energy would have resulted in a very entertaining fight...Especially in 87....

I imagine the main reason this didn't happen was a combination of managerial impediments & career timing...

Comment

Pazienza was a weight class above Whitaker by the time Whitaker was champion

Comment

Better question is why pernell never fought Camacho...

That's a fight I always wanted to see, yet hardly ever gets mentioned.. Would have been huge in 88-97

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
              probably because it wouldn't have been competitive, with Whitaker schooling him

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                probably because it wouldn't have been competitive, with Whitaker schooling him
                sweet pea indeed would have schooled him but pazienza did have a tremendous will to win and great stamina. he wouldn't have been embarrassed to the degree jones did to him at 168. it would have been a distance loss for paz but I don't know why it didn't happen and really,,,,who cares. sweet pea did his thing and paz won some fights here and there after a devastating neck injury

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  I'm guessing without researching, but I think both of them were with Main Event Promotions then. The promoters probably didn't want to drop one of their titles, and there was zero demand for that fight for the reasons you listed.
                  yea,,,,,pretty much the way I see it. two poisonous darts

Comment

Pazienza was not much of a threat during the period 1988-1990, losing to Roger Mayweather, Camacho and Loreto Garza. I don't see Whitaker ducking anyone during his lightweight reign. Camacho would have been a good fight for Pea but boxing fans wants to see him fight Chavez and were expecting macho to lose anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X