Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum: McGregor Using Boxing License as Leverage Against UFC

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Arum: McGregor Using Boxing License as Leverage Against UFC

Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum, has over five decades of experience in boxing and promoted many of the biggest stars in the history of the sport. He's witnessed just about everything - so he's not surprised with the latest set of career moves being made by UFC champion Conor McGregor.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Of course and i don't blame him. All the former fighters who are trying to start a force against UFC might finally suceed in the way fighters are treated under the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
      Of course and i don't blame him. All the former fighters who are trying to start a force against UFC might finally suceed in the way fighters are treated under the UFC.
      McGregor guarantee for Diaz rematch = 3 million

Ward guarantee for Kovalev = 5 million

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

That says it all really.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

Ward, and top boxers in general, get paid too much though.

They take so much of the pot that there is nothing left for the undercard or the actual promoting of the event.

Im just fed up of us boxing fans acting like the amount top boxers get paid is some huge win, its not. Its suffocating our sport imo.

No hate to the boxers, they should take what they can get. But its unsustainable. UFC take it too far the other way, but underpaying their fighters certainly ensures the overall product is better. Look at some of the cards Don King was able to put together back in the day aswell.

Again, he took it too far the other way. It needs balance. But right now top boxers have too much leverage

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
            but then you get the other extreme that you see now that's killing the sport of boxing where fighters are getting overpaid to fight bums and the fans don't get the fights that they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              Ward, and top boxers in general, get paid too much though.

They take so much of the pot that there is nothing left for the undercard or the actual promoting of the event.

Im just fed up of us boxing fans acting like the amount top boxers get paid is some huge win, its not. Its suffocating our sport imo.

No hate to the boxers, they should take what they can get. But its unsustainable. UFC take it too far the other way, but underpaying their fighters certainly ensures the overall product is better. Look at some of the cards Don King was able to put together back in the day aswell.

Again, he took it too far the other way. It needs balance. But right now top boxers have too much leverage

good call there

the bold is the problem.....

that balance is very difficult to maintain..... but if it has to lean either way, then I would rather it benefit the fighters..... they earn it, while guys like Arum/King/White rip off fighters and get rich without having to take a punch

but I think that the recent uproar regarding Ward's pay packet is absurd, not sure if I remember hearing that much fuss over the 250mil that Mayweather pocketed

I think that Golovkin getting 2-3mil for fighting no-hopers is a lot worse, Ward fought Kovalev FFS

but yea, pretty good call, I think there is some truth in that

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                good call there

the bold is the problem.....

that balance is very difficult to maintain..... but if it has to lean either way, then I would rather it benefit the fighters..... they earn it, while guys like Arum/King/White rip off fighters and get rich without having to take a punch

but I think that the recent uproar regarding Ward's pay packet is absurd, not sure if I remember hearing that much fuss over the 250mil that Mayweather pocketed

I think that Golovkin getting 2-3mil for fighting no-hopers is a lot worse, Ward fought Kovalev FFS

but yea, pretty good call, I think there is some truth in that
                There wasnt too much chat about mayweathers purse being too much iirc. But there was a lot of complaints about thw shocking undercard and poor quality promotion, which were direct results of Mayweather and Pacquiao's pay.

The big problem is that if bigwigs arent making profit off boxing (by that i mean networks, investors, promoters) then they wont bother getting into boxing in the first place.

I really want boxers to make big money. But i just worry that the overall effect on the sport will be negative and that as a result lower level boxers and future prospects will suffer from diminishing purses.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post

The big problem is that if bigwigs arent making profit off boxing (by that i mean networks, investors, promoters) then they wont bother getting into boxing in the first place.
                  I disagree with you on that one. When boxing was filled with small, independent promoters the sport was far healthier. They had to work together to make big fights. Kovalev-Ward came together in a year because Arum and Haymon had nothing to do with it. What boxing needs is for Top Rank and PBC to die. They have far too much power.

The flip-side is one operation in near total control of the sport like the UFC. Given the glimpse of that world Haymon has given us I'll still go with Option 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                    I disagree with you on that one. When boxing was filled with small, independent promoters the sport was far healthier. They had to work together to make big fights. Kovalev-Ward came together in a year because Arum and Haymon had nothing to do with it. What boxing needs is for Top Rank and PBC to die. They have far too much power.

The flip-side is one operation in near total control of the sport like the UFC. Given the glimpse of that world Haymon has given us I'll still go with Option 1.
                    Actually the PBC model is more closely linked to the old days. Remember, PBC isn't a promotion outfit. Any fighter can fight on a PBC show. It's fighters deals and allegiances as well as promoters such as Top Rank and Golden Boy that prevent match ups from happening on PBC. When fans make it unattractive to be a TR or GBP fighter, change may occur.

Comment

Working...
                    X