No announcement yet.

Amateur Boxing - USA, Puerto Rico, Mexico

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur Boxing - USA, Puerto Rico, Mexico

Where are these countries at? I watched the worlds championship last month and none of these countries even made it to the semifinals.

Supposedly they have a good farm system to create professionals but it's utter trash. At one point the U.S. was right there with Russia (Soviet Union) and Cuba.

And right now there are no helmets in amateurs and the scoring point system is no longer there. So what gives?

My opinion is that US and Puerto Rican fighters have become too soft and the majority of Mexican fighters are built for the long run and not for 3 rounds, their plodding/brawling style can't tire you out in 3 rounds.

PS: I know there are exceptions. There was a good Mexican kid that fought Loma a few years back and now is the best prospect out of Mexico, forgot his name, he is a joy to watch.

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
    Where are these countries at? I watched the worlds championship last month and none of these countries even made it to the semifinals.

Supposedly they have a good farm system to create professionals but it's utter trash. At one point the U.S. was right there with Russia (Soviet Union) and Cuba.

And right now there are no helmets in amateurs and the scoring point system is no longer there. So what gives?

My opinion is that US and Puerto Rican fighters have become too soft and the majority of Mexican fighters are built for the long run and not for 3 rounds, their plodding/brawling style can't tire you out in 3 rounds.

PS: I know there are exceptions. There was a good Mexican kid that fought Loma a few years back and now is the best prospect out of Mexico, forgot his name, he is a joy to watch.
    I agree. Also, a lot of hot amateur prospects from the US are snatched up quickly by promoters these days. Are you familiar with Devin Haney? He was probably the best amateur in the world. He just turned 17 and is making his pro debut soon, Floyd picked him up. The guy hasn't even had 50 amateur fights yet. A lot of young kids these days are convinced to turn pro too early, way before their amateur maturity. I know this isn't new, but the big money in modern boxing is making this more common.

Comment

I can't remember the last time a Mexican or a Puerto Rican got a bronze and I am not even talking about the Olympics, I am talking about the Worlds.

Last time I remember the States getting a medal was Wilder with a bronze in 2008. That's ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
        I agree. Also, a lot of hot amateur prospects from the US are snatched up quickly by promoters these days. Are you familiar with Devin Haney? He was probably the best amateur in the world. He just turned 17 and is making his pro debut soon, Floyd picked him up. The guy hasn't even had 50 amateur fights yet. A lot of young kids these days are convinced to turn pro too early, way before their amateur maturity. I know this isn't new, but the big money in modern boxing is making this more common.
        That is true but right now with the World Boxing Series amateurs can compete on a proffesional level and earn 5 thousand per fight in a 5 round fight. No kid is making that kind of money in their first 4 rounders. So if you're on the national U.S team or Mexico and you compete in the World Boxing Series you can make 5 thousand in a 5 round fight. They can't win even that. These countries are going down the drain especially the states.

I've heard of Devin btw
        Last edited by pesticid; 11-28-2015, 09:38 AM.

Comment

So if you're on the national U.S team or Mexico and you compete in the World Boxing Series you can make 5 mill in a 5 round fight.
          Who's made $5M in the WSB? Are there millionaires boxing in the WSB? This is news to me if so.

I think the whole west (US, Canada, PR, Mexico & even most of South America) have subpar to okay amateur systems these days, for the most part anyway. More importantly the upside for an elite amateur to turn pro (signing bonus, monthly income, maybe a car or house, potential life changing 7 digit paydays 4-5 years down the line if you are one of the best) is far greater an option for them. The problem for most of the west is guys do turn pro younger so you got 21 year olds with 5 years open competition fighting 28 year olds from Youwackistan with 12 years open competition. Its a hard road to climb competition-wise when all the best on your street have turned pro so you got no iron to sharpen your iron domestically.

Comment

It's a combination of a decline in interest in USA and an increase in interest from elsewhere. Do not downplay the increase in interest. America would've been knocked off it's perch had it stayed as strong as it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Who's made $5M in the WSB? Are there millionaires boxing in the WSB? This is news to me if so.

I think the whole west (US, Canada, PR, Mexico & even most of South America) have subpar to okay amateur systems these days
              , for the most part anyway. More importantly the upside for an elite amateur to turn pro (signing bonus, monthly income, maybe a car or house, potential life changing 7 digit paydays 4-5 years down the line if you are one of the best) is far greater an option for them. The problem for most of the west is guys do turn pro younger so you got 21 year olds with 5 years open competition fighting 28 year olds from Youwackistan with 12 years open competition. Its a hard road to climb competition-wise when all the best on your street have turned pro so you got no iron to sharpen your iron domestically.
              It's 5 thousand. So you have 8 or 9 fights, it's actually half a year. The tournament isn't the whole calendar year. You win let's say 5 out of these 8 fights and you got 25 thousand in half a year fighting 5 rounds fights and still able to compete at the amateurs.

That's how Lomachenko and Usyk started off in the pro ranks.

As far as the amateur system in Canada, States, Dominican, Mexico and Puerto Rico. It's utter trash. In Canada you have to find sponsors to pay for your air fare if you so happen to qualify for the Worlds. Imagine the incentive that it must be to stay amateur. At least Mexico and the States do the World Boxing Series.

Comment

i'm gonna need some proof that the WSB pays $5m per fight. i read that it was more like a $1m prize for the winner of the whole thing

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                  i'm gonna need some proof that the WSB pays $5m per fight. i read that it was more like a $1m prize for the winner of the whole thing
                  I made an error, I was thinking in Spanish and said 5 mil when I meant to say 5 thousand. The winner of the whole tournament Id think they'd give the 1 million to the entire team like this year it was Kazakhstan by a way of robbery over Cuba so I don;t think each fighter got 1 million that's 10 million to give.

Comment

I made an error, I was thinking in Spanish and said 5 mil when I meant to say 5 thousand. The winner of the whole tournament Id think they'd give the 1 million to the entire team like this year it was Kazakhstan by a way of robbery over Cuba so I don;t think each fighter got 1 million that's 10 million to give.
                    yeah that makes more sense. $5,000/fight is good money for a kid but probably not as much as they can get in the pros if they are a real talent and have the big promoters courting them

Comment

Working...
                    X