Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got off the phone with Joe Frazier...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got off the phone with Joe Frazier...

Let me tell you, it was truly an amazing experience. He was very clear and lucid in his speech. It's rare to hear boxers from that era who are completely clear in the way that they talk.

I started off by thanking him for the opportunity to speak with him and called him Mr. Frazier. He told me to call him "Smoke" so I made that adjustment.

We spoke for about 20 minutes, touching on everything from life, to the secret to happiness, to why he doesn't watch modern boxing.

I asked him if he still sings, and he answered by belting out the first four lines of Heart Break Hotel. The man can sing a little.

I asked him about fights like Marciano, he said it was a good thing they didn't meet because it would have been a scary war.

He said he woulda kicked Larry Holmes' ass just like in sparring when he broke his ribs. He said he woulda chewed Mike Tyson up and spit him out.

Overall, it was a real highlight of my career in boxing. We said our good byes and he said something along the lines of "I'm out, boogie."

The true definition of cool.

ryan, you have got to be the luckiest young MFR i know...good **** man

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ryan View Post
      Let me tell you, it was truly an amazing experience. He was very clear and lucid in his speech. It's rare to hear boxers from that era who are completely clear in the way that they talk.

I started off by thanking him for the opportunity to speak with him and called him Mr. Frazier. He told me to call him "Smoke" so I made that adjustment.

We spoke for about 20 minutes, touching on everything from life, to the secret to life, to why he doesn't watch modern boxing.

I asked him if he still sings, and he answered by belting out the first four lines of Heart Break Hotel. The man can sing a little.

I asked him about fights like Marciano, he said it was a good thing they didn't meet because it would have been a scary war.

He said he woulda kicked Larry Holmes' ass just like in sparring when he broke his ribs. He said he woulda chewed Mike Tyson up and spit him out.

Overall, it was a real highlight of my career in boxing. We said our good byes and he said something along the lines of "I'm out, boogie."

The true definition of cool.
      Yup, that sounds like Smoke.

And I've been saying the same thing about him destroying Tyson for years. Frazier was everything Tyson was, only with the heart to fight through adversity, the balls to take your best shots and smile, and the stamina to break you down for 15 rounds.

Any chance I can get his number from you?

Check this highlight video I made of Joe, just an hour or so ago.

Comment

Frazier said he woulda chewed Mike Tyson up and spit him out.
        He would have most likely, but a good style match up for an entertaining fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
          ryan, you have got to be the luckiest young MFR i know...good **** man
          Thanks bro. I want to put it in Boxing Digest magazine but I've already committed to an Oscar de la Hoya article for next month's issue. I have another magazine that I'm going to pitch it for, but it'll land in print somewhere.

As far as luck, man it's got nothing to do with luck. I tell everyone in the forums that I came from the same forums as them, I just dedicated myself enough to learn my craft over the years and go out and make my dreams come true. There are a lot of people in these forums with good writing talent, they just have to go out and make it happen.

Comment

Thanks bro. I want to put it in Boxing Digest magazine but I've already committed to an Oscar de la Hoya article for next month's issue. I have another magazine that I'm going to pitch it for, but it'll land in print somewhere.

As far as luck, man it's got nothing to do with luck. I tell everyone in the forums that I came from the same forums as them, I just dedicated myself enough to learn my craft over the years and go out and make my dreams come true. There are a lot of people in these forums with good writing talent, they just have to go out and make it happen.
            How long have you been at it, Ryan?

And where exactly did you get started?

Comment

Your very lucky Ryan.

When I grow Up I want to be just like Joe-

Comment

how's my writing talent?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                  Yup, that sounds like Smoke.

And I've been saying the same thing about him destroying Tyson for years. Frazier was everything Tyson was, only with the heart to fight through adversity, the balls to take your best shots and smile, and the stamina to break you down for 15 rounds.

Any chance I can get his number from you?

Check this highlight video I made of Joe, just an hour or so ago.

I made sure to mention to him that he's your hero and he said to send my regards to the people in the forums. He says he's very grateful for all of his fans.

I agree about Tyson because Frazier was just a hard man. He did what he had to do to win.

Man I can't wait to finish this article and see what it's going to look like. After this, I'm thinking maybe Larry Holmes or someone like that. I want to interview some legends.

Comment

Like Smokin' Joe a lot but Tyson would have knocked him out.

One of the hardest hitting heavies of all time against Joe's average chin?

A fast finisher against a slow starter like Joe? Not good.

Comment

Working...
                    X