No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs. Thomas Oosthuizen at 168

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoogleMe View Post
    I don't like it. Someone at 160 should step up.
    my like for GGG and dislike for the rest is growing with every day its pathetic that they won't fight him ...

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
      Mack isn't a WBA-ranked fighter. IDK how much that's figuring into Team GGG's decision to move up, but the move wouldn't make sense unless there was no other option. Tommy Gun is a Dibella fighter, so maybe Team GGG is figuring, "This could get us closer to Martinez".
      Mariusz Wach and Audrey Harrison were not ranked by the WBA either when they were chosen for title fights. But by the time of the fight, both were (Wach was put on the latest WBA rankings).

The WBA would accomodate a fight with Macklin by adding him to the rankings.

There are plenty of other wiser options for both fighters, if HBO want them. This matchup is a typical stupid HBO move.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        Was Dzinziruk's career better or worse after he fought Sergio?

Is Proksa's future career better or worse now?

Oosthuizen is still young and improving. HBO wouldn't want to put Mitchell and Wilder in with Wladimir in 2012 would they? They are older than Oosthuizen. But the decision-makers at HBO realize they would be ruined by a KO loss early in their career.
        Dzinziruk is 37, he took the opportunity to make a career high purse. He hasn't done much since due to injury and managerial disputes. Not because HBO.

Proksa put up a great effort but was thoroughly outclassed by a better opponent, but people were raving about his bravery, so its safe to assume that he will get another shot along the line.

If Ooshuizen takes this opportunity then it's on his head, not HBO's fault. You are allowed to turn down these chances. He has enough of a following in SA that he doesn't have to take it yet!

Comment

I'm not sure this will go ahead, Doesn't Oostuizen not have a fight coming up? I don't think it would be a stretch for Golovkin to move up, he spars with heavyweights constantly. Really would have loved to see him and Geale fight though!

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            Mariusz Wach and Audrey Harrison were not ranked by the WBA either when they were chosen for title fights. But by the time of the fight, both were (Wach was put on the latest WBA rankings).

The WBA would accomodate a fight with Macklin by adding him to the rankings.

There are plenty of other wiser options for both fighters, if HBO want them. This matchup is a typical stupid HBO move.
            HBO is so damn inconsistent with their match-up quality. I have no issue with the fight on a stylistic level, but it just doesn't make any sense for both parties to want this fight.

Comment

Oosthuizen and his team initially turned down a 164lb catchweight fight saying that they wouldn't be able to make the weight so Golovkin said **** it and agreed to 168.

Golovkin is everything good about boxing but is confronted with everything bad about it having carefully managed fighters unwilling to fight him because he's viewed as too much risk. Martinez, Chavez, Geale, Quillin, Sturm, N'jikam and a long list of contenders all unwilling.

Comment

Whats the point of this fight?

PLus isnt Oosthuizen fighting Zuniga next week? Thats 2 months before the date

Comment

I guess we're gonna see where this match-up goes, and if it does indeed take place, I know I'll be watching.

Comment

well if GGG moves up to 168 with none of this catchweight crap, beats him up (oosthuizen is gonna look like a giant compared to him) easily and says yup 'there ya go' there is plenty of point to it, it will just reinforce the fact that he is the man and thaat everybody at 160 is scared ****less

Comment

I don't mind this. Geale avoided him, Sergio would rather fight smaller fighters than make his legacy at MW or attempt to fight bigger guys, and I highly doubt others at 160 (Quillin, Macklin, Murray, etc) really want to fight him. If he goes to 168 and beats Oosthuizen, he's right in the mix for a shot at Kessler, Abraham, Froch, and if he beats one of them....than we can start talking about Ward-Golovkin!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X