Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some boxers hit really really hard? What makes a puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People keep saying "leverage" which is very vague.

At the highest levels there are guys whose power is natural and who are powerful regardless of technique

I think if you break it down guys who are considered "punchers" do 3 things that separate themselves - and it sounds simple but most don't so it.

1) Set their feet and commit to the punch (Khan-Matthyse being example of guys who do/dont)
    2) Turn their shoulders through the punch (Mayweather - does not for example - shoots the right hand and pulls it right back)
    3) Turn their hips through the punch. (the more you turn your hips the more you square yourself and leave yourself open for counters)

A boxer generates power much the same way a great home run hitter does with the bat. A fluid combination of hip and shoulder movement with feet firmly planted and well balanced.

Comment

Punching "threw" a target is Method, however the punch must land when the arm is NOT fully extended. It needs be at a 45d angle for maximum power!!
      The picture of Marciano landing the famous right hand on Jersey Joe is a perfect example. Also most recently, Juan all most being late landing on Manny as Manny gets to deep after false feints!! The arm angle as the punch lands is the easiest technique to learn. Adding hips (weight) and shifting weight takes time to learn. Thats why I'm shocked when people come on here and say their sparring after 3 weeks in a gym. How the hell do you learn to punch in 3 weeks! If you start to spar without that knowledge and without the practice your developing bad habits your first 3 weeks in the gym.
      It takes atleast 5 to 6 months for a dedicated kid with decent coordination to start light spar sessions.
      I liked the video in the gym, very basic and easy to understand!! A good start. Ray.

Comment

It's not as simple as just having great form and commiting. You have guys like Peterson fully commiting to a ounch and nothing happens..on the other end of the soectrum you'll have an Edison miranda throw a random punch and knock dudes clean the eff out.

Technique CAN and does play a role, but there's other variables. I dont know how many of you have sparred or fought guys with power but from personal experience..I've felt different kinds..but as mentioned in my previous post...there's guys who defy the technique claim. I mean bottom line is some dudes feel like their fist just weighs a ton. Could it be bone density in combination with natural strength? It's like someone said... We can all run..but none of us here can run as fast as an olympic sprinter..

Another example is of leaping ability. I'm like what..5'8 ish? Used to be able to dunk a basketball since highschool. Didn't even directly train for that..yet people would train, strengthen their legs, etc and couldnt manage it. Something in the fibers, tendons, I don't know but genetics are a big part imo. Maybe subconsciously we activate different muscles or use more/less fibers (or something..) because its not just technique. It's not as simple as a formula for all since we dont know how much strain/tension/power, etc is stored/generated and released before the volocity/impact takes place. If we knew the variables per person, sure... Well..this is my ignorant opinion anyway.

Comment

If we stick to professional boxing, where all, or at least most, know how to punch, it's a matter of natural power and style in my opinion.

Roughly, the more leverage you seek, the more power you get, on the other hand the punch is easier to see coming since you need to "load" it.

One can train to maximize the power speed-ratio, Tyson is a good example of it. Most fighters though seek a compromise, according to their favourite style and skills.

Just to stick to HW, in spite of the common belief, Ali had good power but rarely "loaded" his punches. In order to maximize power, normally, both feet should be firmly planted on the ground which, in Ali's case, would have been detrimental for it would limit his movement.

Joe Louis, instead, often relied on combinations. With both feet solidly planted he tried to set his right hand followed by another one or two punches. In this case the the power of one single punch is not so evident, but the effect of the combo lethal.

I find this a good example (Louis vs M. Baer, which is also interesting regarding the debate about negating reach advantage )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn20KDW_vkQ

Comment

easy question...cherry picked opponents and overhyping commentators!

Comment

Transfer energy from the legs and lower body, up and out into the punches, like a coiled spring snapping out.

Natural flexibility of the body and fast-twitch muscle fibers are probably important. In track & field, the athletes with fast-twitch muscles always win the sprinting races, while slow-twitch athletes have good endurance and conservation of energy, and win the long-distance races.

It's not that much different in boxing. Most natural punchers want to finish the fight as quickly as possible, knocking the opponent out in the early rounds, more of a "sprint." The technical boxer wants to make it a "long race" by conserving energy and using patience to pick his shots, wear down the opponent and win on points.

Killer instinct helps a lot. Just watch the early fights of Mike Tyson where he's leaping into his opponents like a killer lunging at a victim with a knife. His punches are going so deep, like he's going for the heart. Technical boxers don't act that way, they're just "tagging" and scoring points, almost as if the opponent is made of stone and they don't want to hurt their hands on him by punching too hard.
              Last edited by SN!PER; 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

When you watch someone who hits hard they tend to be able to shift there weight better and look to follow through with the punch. Danny Garcia is a good example - He really loads up and swings with everything he's got behind his punches. He's not a murderous puncher but Garcia knows that one of those shots can hurt his opponents if he catches them. Watch him bend at the knees and generate power from bottom to top. He's looking for full leverage behind his punches. You can see him put his head down whilst he throws that left hook that KO'd Morales.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  They know how to use leverage to maximize their punches. I think its something you're "born" with, i've never really heard of a guy punching mucher harder after training
                  Well Marquez was.obviously after he hired Heredia. Pac was hit by the same punches in the first 3 fights over and over but now. SMH.

Comment

I dont think it necessarily means you are born with punching power. As mentioned with everything has variables such as leverage, committing to a punch, technique helps generate power, and body type has a lot to do with it as in the case of someone like pacquaio that generates power from his legs, donaire from his technique generating power from moving your body in a motion to generate the power from feet to hips to the punch, and just hard hitters who commit everything to knock out a fighter as in Rios (horrible defense, all offense).

Comment

Some people are naturally heavy headed and hit like a beast some people learn it like hearns other just arent that big of a puncher.

Some fighters also scarfice power for speed and elusiveness because most people but there are some exceptions have to have there feet planted to punch.

Unless your Roy jones freak of nature.

Comment

Working...
                      X