No announcement yet.

whose competition was greater???...Cotto or floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    He didn't want to fight Paul Williams who did want to fight Cotto.
    Williams wanted to fight lots of guys and he had to move up to MW to get a big name....

Comment

• hahahaha banned for lying

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
        was hitting him everywhere on the gloves thats for sure. was a pretty easy nights work for mayweather, looked comfortable and scorecards reflected that.
        YEA YEA YEA that's why Mayweather was bleeding, lucky Cotto was trained by an amateur trainer in Pedro Diaz and he gassed out in 8 rds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
          The point was defensive fighter keep their prime's extended longer due to the style. Those 3 are prime examples.
          No defensive fighters keep winning longer due to their style, they have prime spans just like everyone else. No wonder you guys act like Floyd is this ageless wonder who was prime from the day he was born till the day he dies.

Those are not good examples, Hopkins was in his prime in the late 90s and early 2000s but kept winning long after due to his cagey, defensive and spoiling style. We saw the best of Toney at 160 and 168 but he still achieved meaningful wins up to cruiser and heavy.

Floyd was about 3 years past his prime when he fought Cotto, his legs were significantly slower which made it easier to trap him against the ropes.

I'll even give you a non boxing example in the spirit of the Olympics..... Usain Bolt still dominant as ever but clearly not in his prime anymore as he can't get close to world record times but he remains so far ahead of the competition. By your definition he would still be prime which is clearly false.
          Last edited by NaijaD; 08-17-2016, 07:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
            So any defensive fighter is prime throughout their career?

LoooL I know right, explains why they keep saying he waited out Pac despite being the older man by 2 years. He knew his prime would never end

Comment

• mayweather jr.

cotto has a very good resume, but floyd's an all time great.

Comment

• also:

competition and resume are not the same thing. comp is simply a matter of who you fought. resumes consider wins and losses.

darnell boone has fought great competition. he does not have a great resume [although he's got a nice one if you consider all teh guys he's stung over the years.]

Comment

• Originally posted by PrBoxing88 View Post
                  YEA YEA YEA that's why Mayweather was bleeding, lucky Cotto was trained by an amateur trainer in Pedro Diaz and he gassed out in 8 rds.
                  Cotto couldve had angelo dundee or Al Certa and it still wouldnt have made a difference.

He isnt on mayweathers level. The guy won 3 rounds at most....4 if you're charitable, fight wasnt even competitive

people got excited becaise the guy had a bloody nose, whats that, a moral victory

Comment

• Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                    Cotto fought a prime Manny at the top of his game and fought a Canelo at the top of his game and a much better version of Shane. The level of Zab I think was about equal. I think it matters the timeframe you fight the guys, not just listing them just to list them.

Fighting Manny when he fought him trumps any level of opponent Floyd fought at the time they fought. I don't think its debateable - I don't know.

I just wish we could have watched a prime for prime Cotto vs Mayweather. I think we could have gotten a great trilogy between them. :/
                    Mosley was not in his prime, he was in his friggin 30s with over 40 fights.

Mosley's prime was in the late 90s-2001

Comment

• Originally posted by Chopper417 View Post
                      Completely agree man, his fights 140 were average at very best, I said UNDER 140 is where he doesn't get the credit he deserves.
                      ^^^^yep

a lot of the posters on here dont know how good chicanito Hernandez was and he was better than a few of Cotto's so called, top wins. Hernandez accomplished more and had more skills than Margarito, Clottey, Geale, Foreman, Torres, and company. Only guy over him that Cotto fought in Manny, Mosley, and he lost to Manny.

Hernandez was undefeated at 130 and a longtime titlist and was lineal champion at the time they fought....floyd was 21 and dominated him

Jose Luis Castillo imo is also a better fighter and accomplished more than Margarito and company. manny and mosely over him though. Corrales p4p a better fighter than many guys Cotto beat and went on to win titles after floyd beat him

Its clear mayweather beat/fought the better opposition....their is just a bunch of Cotto fanatics that are unreasonable and Mayweather haters who dont give him credit for anything.

the poll reflects people's emotions more than what actually happened in their career's and its clear mayweather faced better opposition.

Comment

Working...
                      X