Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Larry Merchant Ends His HBO Run This Saturday Night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. I was wondering what the reasons were or what the consequences might have been of Merchant going into throwback mode and incessantly complaining about how boring the matches were leading up to main event this past Saturday. The execs never did like that very much.

Comment

Jim Lampley is going to have another crying fit when he says good-bye.

Comment

Larry is a badass, but it's clear his best days are past him. I'm glad he's retiring and I'm glad Max Kellermen is taking his place(hopefully)

Comment

haters gonna hate

Larry is the last of a dyin' breed. Cosel was the model back then and announcers were expected to be knowledgable, honest, insightful and tough on the fighters. What Larry understood as a commentator was that real passion creates hostility, excitement and great friendship, just like two fighters in after a match. Floyd and Larry is a great example....what an occurance! but at the end of the day? Floyd respects Larry and vice versa.

In Cosell's time Howard may have been an ass to many, including his dear friend Ali, but Cosell also supported Ali's decision when most kiss asses...anouncers who were the equivalent of Kellerman and Lamply, spoke horribly about Ali.

Larry had a gift for the square circle and he had balls. Sorry....but Kellerman smart as he is is awful and Lamply is no comparison to Larry Merchant. Jones knows the game and that makes him very good imo. And Lewis???

Lets just say a lot of you guys will "miss" Larry trust me

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            Larry Merchant will end his unprecedented 35-year run as a ringside boxing commentator for HBO Sports with the season finale of World Championship Boxing® this Saturday night (9:30 p.m. ET/PT) from Houston. Following the telecast, Merchant will be moving into another phase of his wide-ranging career.

[Click Here To Read More]
            deuces!!!...let the door hit you as well!!!

Comment

He was annoying at times but Larry did keep it real...seems like he would say what other guys would be afraid of saying...it was starting to get to this time though

Comment

merchant is a legend, i have to admit i'll miss his commentary on hbo broadcasts. good luck to merchant on whatever he plans to do.

Comment

Don't understand how any fan of the sport could be happy to see Merchant go. He's a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    haters gonna hate

Larry is the last of a dyin' breed. Cosel was the model back then and announcers were expected to be knowledgable, honest, insightful and tough on the fighters. What Larry understood as a commentator was that real passion creates hostility, excitement and great friendship, just like two fighters in after a match. Floyd and Larry is a great example....what an occurance! but at the end of the day? Floyd respects Larry and vice versa.

In Cosell's time Howard may have been an ass to many, including his dear friend Ali, but Cosell also supported Ali's decision when most kiss asses...anouncers who were the equivalent of Kellerman and Lamply, spoke horribly about Ali.

Larry had a gift for the square circle and he had balls. Sorry....but Kellerman smart as he is is awful and Lamply is no comparison to Larry Merchant. Jones knows the game and that makes him very good imo. And Lewis???

Lets just say a lot of you guys will "miss" Larry trust me
                    Excellent post! Max is just a spoiled rich kid who's in awe of being able to stand around fighters all day. Larry was the real deal.

Comment

• We could fill up 15 pages with Merchant infamous Merchant quotes.

"Arreola jiggles...in places he shouldn't jiggle" <<< Like that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X