Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garcia-Khan: Re-watched. Opinions please.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great posts in this thread.

Aside from the tactical explanations everyone has described, I always thought another factor in the lead up to the loss was it being a replacement fight. The canceled rematch with Peterson was a big letdown and it interrupted the final days of camp as he was peaking only 8 days before the fight. The Garcia fight was just a month later.

You have to be careful against any opponent under those circumstances and Garcia was not just some bum replacement. He has always been a prospect of his own, he was just on a very slow path because he was a little raw at first. So from Danny's end, he had time for a somewhat normal but condensed camp and only had to focus on Khan. I really don't know what went on behind closed doors with Roach and Khan and what they did to prepare specifically for Garcia, but seeing him get hit in those sparring sessions wasn't cool. Maybe he had put too much on his body b4 the fight with the interrupted/extended camp in addition to the other stylistic issues and adjustments Garcia presented.

So yeah, it was timing..during the actual fight and outside. Red flags were all over the place.

Comment

Khan was fast as hell and won the first two, but people were acting like Garcia only threw that left hook once. He started in the first and started coming on stronger with it as the rounds went by.
      People acting like he wasn't hitting Khan.... Garcia timed that left hook pretty damn good

Comment

Garcia has to be given credit for the KO. The punch will always be classed as lucky by fanboys who cant accept there favourite fighter was outboxed on the night. Here's something to consider though, Maidana caught khan big and Khan did the sensible thing to use the ring to recover. Of course, Garcia's punch was more damaging but the same basics apply. Khan decided to fight fire with fire, and paid the price. Khan survived two rounds against a harder puncher in Maidana when he used the correct fundamentals. Plus, Khan fought a silly fight against Garcia. His Jab was inconsistant, his combinations were not set up with feints or the jab and his footwork was nowhere to be seen. I don't think Khan's predictability is a problem as normally his speed is too much and used in the right way his speed would be too much for Garcia. Against Molina, nothing greatly changed. He was more selected with his combinations and seemed more relaxed, but he had no head movement and was lunging in with his attacts. Khan should use his reach and fire combinations from range. That allows him to see his opponents return fire coming and use his feet to move away from the attacts. Khan's chin isn't convincing, but he took major power punches after the knockdown and at one point looked to have his legs back but allowed himself to be open to the left hook that finished it. Garcia has to be given credit, I dont really see anyone at 140 being able to take that left if it is timed properly. (maybe excluding rios). Not really impressed with his choice of opponent in judah. His name isnt what it was and Khan completely outclassed him so really has took two steps backwards since he beat Khan. Morales 2 and now Judah are fights he shouldnt really be considering. Matthysse is a fight that i think would be FOTY candidate, and Garcia Vs Alvarado is a great fight as well. The Matthysse fight is seriously possible as he's golden boy. Khan shouldn't consider the re-match until he has has another 3 fights to learn under Hunter. Khan vs Peterson is the most likely option for his return then maybe he should go up in weight. Garcia has really improved in the last year and if his development keeps rising at this rate he could be P4P top 5 come end of 2013.

Comment

I'll give Khan this, he took a lot of bombs during the last round that would've seriously hurt other people, but he's got to stop being ****y.
          He knew he was hurt but he'd stand in the pocket with Danny and try to exchange.

Comment

I don't know how people are saying garcia was winning round 3, looked like more of the same to me. Garcia was occasionally landing in ALL rounds.

Not sure if HBO was as biased as you guys say, the commentators even said themselves khan was getting hit and taking risks. When YOU MUTE THE SOUND you no longer hear punches...not a good way to judge fights - you need SOUND ON.

What I did notice is low blows by Garcia. 3 in 3 rounds and a few that were NOT called.

Khan should have jabbed more that would have messed up Garcia's timing

Finally, Round 4 was awesome. That was a great round I wish the ref let it go on but I guess it was good for khan that he stopped it. Both fighters were just looking for the money shot and khan was landing pretty heavy shots on garcia but garcia was smart enough not to go too crazy and broke him down.

Comment

Khan survived two rounds against a harder puncher in Maidana
              Not sure Maidana is a bigger puncher than Garcia. The two common opponents they have Morales asnd Khan, Maidana got outclassed over the distance and couldnt floor either ( but got floored ) whilst Danny destroyed both in just 4 rounds.

I think Madanas over rated and Danny isnt given teh credit he deserves.

Comment

It's really quite simple, Khan made two mistakes.

1. Coming forward and going backwards in straight lines.

2. Staying in front of garcia and throwing too many punches (trying to stop him)

Two problems that allowed garcia the time to get his hooks off on an easy target.

If they rematch, I expect the entire camp to focus on lateral movemen , and if Khan wants to win, he shouldbe banned from throwing anything more than three punch combinations.

If he does that, chances are garcia doesn't land a meaningful shot all night.

Problem is I don't know if Khan has the mentality to do that

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Excellent post and I agree on timing. What a beautiful third round by Garcia. His defense was very strong and he spent much of the early part slipping under Khan's combinations and working the midsection. I knew Khan was ****ed midway through the round when he fired a combo and then took a slight step to his left, right in the range of whistling overhand right from Garcia that just missed. Moments later, it was over.

Watching the fight again, one thing that stands out is the fine work by Angel Garcia in the corner. Quality stuff. After the first, he tells Danny, "you see, he's not that fast, man! You can see his punches!" and he was right. Danny lost focus toward the end of the second (mainly because of the cut) and Angel wasn't having none of it. That was a well-thought out and well-executed gameplan.
                  church!!!!...Angel handled the situation like he belongs on this stage...well done!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1q3er5 View Post
                    I don't know how people are saying garcia was winning round 3, looked like more of the same to me. Garcia was occasionally landing in ALL rounds.

Not sure if HBO was as biased as you guys say, the commentators even said themselves khan was getting hit and taking risks. When YOU MUTE THE SOUND you no longer hear punches...not a good way to judge fights - you need SOUND ON.

What I did notice is low blows by Garcia. 3 in 3 rounds and a few that were NOT called.

Khan should have jabbed more that would have messed up Garcia's timing

Finally, Round 4 was awesome. That was a great round I wish the ref let it go on but I guess it was good for khan that he stopped it. Both fighters were just looking for the money shot and khan was landing pretty heavy shots on garcia but garcia was smart enough not to go too crazy and broke him down.
                    You wish Bayless let the fight go on??LOL you don't like Khan very much...Jab or no Jab,Khan was predictable..Once Garcia had his timing Khan was finished....

Comment

What I don't understand is why so many people think Khan merits a rematch after being flattened in 4 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X