No announcement yet.

What matchroom sport has done for British boxing is incredible

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What matchroom sport has done for British boxing is incredible

There's been a lot of negativity flying around recently over the potential Brook stay busy fight, Khantards going in hard, framptons sycophants who don't understand the business of promoting.

I think it's important to step back and think when was the last time boxing was taken to Wembley stadium?

We are also seeing world title fight after world title fight involving British fighters on sky sports. This is incredible and beyond our wildest dreams five years ago.

Let's also not forget that before Eddie came along the PPV model was Khan vs. anyone and Haye vs anyone.

Originally posted by MBE View Post
    There's been a lot of negativity flying around recently over the potential Brook stay busy fight, Khantards going in hard, framptons sycophants who don't understand the business of promoting.

I think it's important to step back and think when was the last time boxing was taken to Wembley stadium?

We are also seeing world title fight after world title fight involving British fighters on sky sports. This is incredible and beyond our wildest dreams five years ago.

Let's also not forget that before Eddie came along the PPV model was Khan vs. anyone and Haye vs anyone.
    And now its two guys who got koed and aren't even in the top 10 of a division no one cares about.

Great

Comment

Originally posted by zmm001 View Post
      And now its two guys who got koed and aren't even in the top 10 of a division no one cares about.

Great
      Bellew-Clev PPV was the one terrible decision but they get a pass for a stacked undercard of big names.

Comment

Bellew-Clev PPV was the one terrible decision but they get a pass for a stacked undercard of big names.
        Most of them in complete mismatches.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
          All of them in complete mismatches.
          fixed it for you.

Comment

Matchroom sport has done good things for boxing but I wouldn't go so far as to call it incredible, what's incredible is ITV building Khan up into a household name, what's incredible is the rise of Ricky Hatton who became a must see WORLD attraction by his mid-20s.

Matchroom have not created a single star from scratch, they've splashed money around and bought solidifed stars or bright young things. We'll see how things go with AJ and charisma vacuum Campbell.

In terms of world title fights, I'd rather not have them if all we're getting are old or c level fighters getting thrown into the lions den to earn a quick buck. How many of these title fights have been successful or featured competitive match ups?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
              Matchroom sport has done good things for boxing but I wouldn't go so far as to call it incredible, what's incredible is ITV building Khan up into a household name, what's incredible is the rise of Ricky Hatton who became a must see WORLD attraction by his mid-20s.

Matchroom have not created a single star from scratch, they've splashed money around and bought solidifed stars or bright young things. We'll see how things go with AJ and charisma vacuum Campbell.

In terms of world title fights, I'd rather not have them if all we're getting are old or c level fighters getting thrown into the lions den to earn a quick buck. How many of these title fights have been successful or featured competitive match ups?
              If Anthony Joshua proves to be as good as he looks to be, Matchroom has that "built from scratch" star that you're lamenting about (I honestly see Klitschko hanging the gloves up without attempting to unify and Wilder(WBC), Fury(IBF), Joshua(WBA) and Povetkin(WBO) emerging as champions, fighting in their own universes for a while, before unification talk begins to pick up 2017/2018)

From the outside looking in Matchroon Sport has put British boxing into a position where their best fighters earnestly have the opportunity to see how good they are on the world level; not everyone is going to be good enough, but the ones that are have the world at their feet (with the ones a step below still having a thriving domestic market to ply their trade in).

Just look at Kell Brook; phenomenal talent, but the work that Matchroom Sport has done has his fights featured in UK, shown throughout Germany/Europe, and has given him the opportunity to build his name/profile in the US (with likely residual effects in Canada/Mexico). He keeps up the winning (wins the May 30th fight) and he's got the chance to truly be an international star.

Name another European promoter that has the reach to have their fighters go as far as their talent and ability can take them.

Comment

and now its Bellew-Cleverly 2 and Haye-Harrison.

Taking soulsurvivor's point, we'll see how many or how well they develop a star from scratch. They got the resources and talent, so let's see.
                Last edited by Box-Office; 04-10-2015, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

That Sheffield undercard lmao.

Comment

Matchroom played a part in keeping Boxing alive in the UK until the Boxnation era which has brought better quality, more competitive global fights to the UK TV audience.

Most of the recent Matchroom cards have been ridiculously stacked and almost exhibition type stuff - despite huge hype.

The Cleverly / Bellew fight was a new low point (for me). If that is the future of PPV then were are in serious trouble.

Comment

Working...
                    X