No announcement yet.

Glen Johnson looked old

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billolden View Post
    I am a fan but I gotta agree. Glen Johnson even a few years ago would've knocked out Daniel Judah. Got a little slower and lost some pop too
    Glen Johnson a few years ago went to a draw with Judah although he should've won it.

He has looked slower to me for a while now but it doesn't matter as much to him because he has never won fights with speed. Glen is still a tough opponent for anyone at 175 lbs right now, hopefully he can get a shot at the title as soon as possible.

Comment

I think thats bull**** cuz he probably didnt took Judah seriously.
      I mean who would.
      After he lost a fight with Tarver he fought a one guy and dropped him in second or third round and could finish.He look old in that fight and went 12 rounds with him.But he hurt badly Dawson in 9 and he look great in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        You do know he fought Judah before last night, like 6 years ago, and he did not knock him out then either.
        I knew that but totally forgot. I now look like an idiot, I salute you sir

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
          Glen Johnson a few years ago went to a draw with Judah although he should've won it.

He has looked slower to me for a while now but it doesn't matter as much to him because he has never won fights with speed. Glen is still a tough opponent for anyone at 175 lbs right now, hopefully he can get a shot at the title as soon as possible.
          Even still, being slower when you've never won fights with speed is just going to hurt a slow fighter even more. Look at David Tua, he was never Wilfredo Benitez but now that he can't close the distance with any urgency, he's been reduced to club fighter status.

Glen Johnson is still tough but if you can punch in between his shots (his hands don't come back nearly as fast as they used to), you can beat him.

What Dawson did wrong was he ran, he didn't box him. You can't run from a guy like Johnson.

Comment

Johnson is a solid fighter but is old and overrated now. There's nothing great about him and never was... I've watched many of his fights and don't see why he gets so much hype.

Comment

Perhaps if Judah wasn't able to cover up so well and go into survival mode Glen could've stopped him this time around. There were several moments where I thought Judah was gonna get stopped or atleast go down again but Glen couldn't string together enough meaningful shots. I bet Daniel Judah is having some painful inhalations right about now though, took it hard to the body a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey Danger View Post
                Even still, being slower when you've never won fights with speed is just going to hurt a slow fighter even more. Look at David Tua, he was never Wilfredo Benitez but now that he can't close the distance with any urgency, he's been reduced to club fighter status.

Glen Johnson is still tough but if you can punch in between his shots (his hands don't come back nearly as fast as they used to), you can beat him.

What Dawson did wrong was he ran, he didn't box him. You can't run from a guy like Johnson.
                Johnson has always been vulnerable to being outpunched from a distance, perhaps even more so in the past.

He has improved on his defense over the years however and picked off almost every punch that Dawson and Judah threw at him. I had him winning all the rounds against Judah.

I believe he had his prime performance against Roy Jones but he hasn't declined that much from since (considering he is 40 years old now). What he has lost in speed he has gathered in experience.

Tua is a club fighter now because he is neither dedicated nor motivated, Johnson is.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                  Johnson has always been vulnerable to being outpunched from a distance, perhaps even more so in the past.

He has improved on his defense over the years however and picked off almost every punch that Dawson and Judah threw at him. I had him winning all the rounds against Judah.

I believe he had his prime performance against Roy Jones but he hasn't declined that much from since (considering he is 40 years old now). What he has lost in speed he has gathered in experience.

Tua is a club fighter now because he is neither dedicated nor motivated, Johnson is.
                  That is true about Tua's motivation waning.

I always compare Dawson's fight with Johnson to Cotto's with Margarito. Both Dawson and Cotto have the problem, you know, with the chin. Johnson and Margarito were very durable and applied a lot of pressure.

Knowing that they couldn't stand and trade and keep up with the shots, they elected to move and run, which wasn't their styles. Problem is, you can't run from them because that's what they want.

A guy with a decent beard, fast hands and punching power would beat Glen Johnson. Guys like Shaun George,Tavoris Cloud, maybe even Yusaf Mack would get the better of Johnson. He's just holding out for those last paydays IMO. If we don't see a Johnson-Dawson rematch, you can pretty much rule out him taking on any of the young guns coming up in the division, he wants cash out money.

Comment

I want Johnson to get at least 1 big payday. I hope Bernard fights him.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey Danger View Post
                      That is true about Tua's motivation waning.

I always compare Dawson's fight with Johnson to Cotto's with Margarito. Both Dawson and Cotto have the problem, you know, with the chin. Johnson and Margarito were very durable and applied a lot of pressure.

Knowing that they couldn't stand and trade and keep up with the shots, they elected to move and run, which wasn't their styles. Problem is, you can't run from them because that's what they want.

A guy with a decent beard, fast hands and punching power would beat Glen Johnson. Guys like Shaun George,Tavoris Cloud, maybe even Yusaf Mack would get the better of Johnson. He's just holding out for those last paydays IMO. If we don't see a Johnson-Dawson rematch, you can pretty much rule out him taking on any of the young guns coming up in the division, he wants cash out money.
                      Well supposedly he was going to fight the winner of the Diaconu/Branco match, but that fight got delayed because Diaconu injured his hand. Johnson vs Dawson II didn't happen immediately because of the sanctioning bodies, and most likely we won't see a rematch until next year. Dawson still has to fight Tarver and his mandatory (Tavoris Cloud) in order to fight Johnson again.

Comment

Working...
                      X