• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Where are these lists from ?

the vault

solid gold, here.

Comment

Both have their ups and downs, I can see how if you are a fan and not talking about credentials that Hearns' list is okay. The problem is, top ten all time. Not top 10 most entertaining. Even then, there's a lot more guys that are more fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I would concede that Tyson might be the best teenage fighter of all time.
        Not Benitez?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Not Benitez?
          You might have me on that one, but it is close.

Comment

Wifred at 17 yrs old defeated the great Cervantes for the title thats alot more of an achievement than Tyson beating up hand picked opponents to KO! Hell they were ready to bring in tomato cans from Texas soon enough! Ray

Comment

I would consider Cuevas and Benitez to both be better teenagers fighters than Tyson.

Comment

On Steward's List:

Foreman, Pacquiao?

Hagler above Duran?

Hagler, but no SRL?

He was a better boxer and athlete, beat him H2H and defeated better fighters (or versions) outside of their fight. I'd put Benitez (38-0) and maybe even '81 Kalule (36-0) on a higher level than just about any of the middleweight contenders Marvin ran through. Roberto Duran was of course naturally better at lightweight, but still world's better at 147 than 160; he didn't "move up to fight SRL" - he was established at the weight a year before they even fought, putting a masterclass technical performance in against Carlos Palomino. It doesn't look good on Marvin that Duran lasted the 15 round distance with him at 160. Thomas Hearns is often regarded as the No. 1 or 2 H2H Welterweight of all-time and was at his most powerful here (32-0, 30 KO) even if he peaked as an all-around fighter at 154. Hagler beat him in his first bout at 160.

SRL > Hagler

Comment

Originally posted by Hands of Iron View Post
                  On Steward's List:

Foreman, Pacquiao?

Hagler above Duran?

Hagler, but no SRL?

He was a better boxer and athlete, beat him H2H and defeated better fighters (or versions) outside of their fight. I'd put Benitez (38-0) and maybe even '81 Kalule (36-0) on a higher level than just about any of the middleweight contenders Marvin ran through. Roberto Duran was of course naturally better at lightweight, but still world's better at 147 than 160; he didn't "move up to fight SRL" - he was established at the weight a year before they even fought, putting a masterclass technical performance in against Carlos Palomino. It doesn't look good on Marvin that Duran lasted the 15 round distance with him at 160. Thomas Hearns is often regarded as the No. 1 or 2 H2H Welterweight of all-time and was at his most powerful here (32-0, 30 KO) even if he peaked as an all-around fighter at 154. Hagler beat him in his first bout at 160.

SRL > Hagler
                  This isn't lets make Barnburner sad by hating on his favourite fighter thread.

I do agree though, Ray Leonard is better than Marvelous. Ray Leonard has the better wins overall. Hagler narrows the gap with sheer dominance, longevity and a not bad resume of wins to boot.

Another thing I would add is where you rank Hearns H2H depends on the rounds of the fights. Over 15 people like Robinson and Leonard(obviously) catch up to him. Over 12, he might be unbeatable.

Comment

Definitely.

In fact, I think Hearns probably beats Ray 9/10 times over 12 rounds. That's what I've said before, but as I think about it that may be way over the top for the simple fact that in a 12-round fight, SRL would know how much time beforehand he has left to - inevitably - come from behind and stop Tommy. He took him into deep waters, but had him hurt and wobbled in the mid-rounds prior to that. I'm tending to think he turns up the gas a lot sooner over 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
                      I would consider Cuevas and Benitez to both be better teenagers fighters than Tyson.
                      I can see Benitez, but Cuevas lost five fights in his teens, four of them to obscure opposition.

Comment

Working...
                      X